Is there an expiration date for email addresses?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by jamesdmc, May 8, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

Oct 17, 2007
    Title says it all, really.

I had an email address before mobileme. When became, I started using it.

For no other reason than it looks cooler (shallow, I know), I want to use whenever I register for websites, and I want to change the sites where I've used I'm not registered at a large number of sites, so it won't be a huge undertaking to go back to

I'm fully aware that if someone sends me an email, I'll still receive it. But does anyone know if Apple has set a date when won't be valid anymore? Thanks.
  2. Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    As far as I'm aware they have not set a date. As long as they sell Mac computers they'll probably want to hang onto the domain so will probably keep forwarding mail.
  3. macrumors G4

Jun 29, 2002
    Republic of Ukistan
    I think it will keep on going. At any rate, if they change mine to, I'm leaving.
  4. macrumors 601

Sep 5, 2005
    Same here.

The change to was a crap idea, IMHO, of course.
  5. macrumors 6502

May 1, 2008
    Little Rock, AR
    If you still have a @mac email, that means you had an account before the name was transitioned to Mobile Me. As long as you keep that same account active, you will have a @mac email. If you do let the account expire, even if you renew it, you will lose your @mac email, but you will get your @me email.

This is the best that I can remember when they sent out the emails with all the transitions. Hope this helps!
  6. thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 17, 2007
    Thanks for all the responses everyone. It's about what I figured.
    Interestingly, I just checked my account settings and found out that my subscription will end in 13 days!:eek: No worries. I have a renewal box sitting on the desk right beside me. Got it from eBay a couple of months ago (family pack for $82). Just hadn't bothered to open the box and enter the renewal code. Guess I'd better get on it before the whole purpose of starting this thread becomes moot :D.