Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Micka88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2019
Since M1-3 Macbooks Pro have only (!) 3 USB-C ports I wanted to extend them and bought "PremiumCord" USB-C hub ("high speed" etc.) with extra 4 USB-C ports. But I quickly found it does not work.
1) You cannot connect an external display via USB-C cable, the display does not recognise the signal
2) What is even worse - external SSD HDD keep "disconnecting" all the time (while in Finder they are still connected)

Really bad. Is there any good, reliable USB-C hub extension that really works ?

Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 10.31.40.png

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I wanted to extend them and bought "PremiumCord" USB-C hub ("high speed" etc.) with extra 4 USB-C ports.
Did you purchase a bus powered hub or one with its own power supply? Depending on what you attach, the single USB port might not provide enough power to all attached USB devices.

Reactions: Basic75

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Does the MacBook Pro have an HDMI port?
If so, why not just use that?

He's talking about MBPs with 3 USB-C ports so it must be the models with HDMI ports. I think that most people would like a one plug solution for attaching things. It's the reason I bought a Mac Studio - so I wouldn't have to plug and unplug things.

I do think that TB is the way to go if you're trying to push a lot of bandwidth through one port.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Don't buy a hub. They tend to overheat and have poor EMI shielding. Get a proper dock from a reputable manufacturer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.