Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
So my mom is eligible for an upgrade in 2 weeks from now. Best Buy has an awesome sale on the iPhone 6, which she wants, and we can get it for $99. But I'm afraid the sale will end by the time her upgrade is eligible on August 16. So, it'd be great to get an early upgrade. Has anyone tried this recently? is there any possibility of getting an early upgrade from Verizon? How would I go about it?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Try calling them and ask them to push it up a few weeks.
I heard of others having luck with pushing up 2-3 months so for such little time they should be able to help you out.
Depending on your account standing, years you been with them and other factors.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Try calling them and ask them to push it up a few weeks.
I heard of others having luck with pushing up 2-3 months so for such little time they should be able to help you out.
Depending on your account standing, years you been with them and other factors.
Ah ok I will try that. Now if they let me do the upgrade early, I'm assuming it will just be on the account and then I could go to Best Buy and upgrade there?

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
So I just called and they said they normally only do early upgrades 7 days before the actual upgrade date. I find it silly that they say they'll do it a week before but they won't do it 2 weeks before. Seriously how much of a difference does it make?!?

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Update: I called again and spoke to a different person. I forgot to mention the BB sale is only guaranteed until Saturday; after that it could get renewed, or it could end, we don't know. So, the guy told me that if I call in on Saturday, they should be able to give me the upgrade, since they always do it a week before, and that would only be 1 day later than a week

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Another update: I found out that the device payment plan gives a $25 credit per month per line; the 6 is only $27.07, so essentially it's like getting it for $48 after 24 mo. of payments. We'll go that route instead of trying to get an early upgrade, it will end up being way cheaper than paying $99 or $199 for a 2 year contract extension.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Another update: I found out that the device payment plan gives a $25 credit per month per line; the 6 is only $27.07, so essentially it's like getting it for $48 after 24 mo. of payments. We'll go that route instead of trying to get an early upgrade, it will end up being way cheaper than paying $99 or $199 for a 2 year contract extension.
You're only paying $48 for the iphone 6? That's amazing, well done! It's a fantastic phone for that price.

Reactions: JerTheGeek

Attack Eagle

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2015
Good, because if they gave you an exception to get an early upgrade, it would only be able to be done over the phone at the time of offer. Not at a corporate Verizon store, and absolutely not at a third party.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Good, because if they gave you an exception to get an early upgrade, it would only be able to be done over the phone at the time of offer. Not at a corporate Verizon store, and absolutely not at a third party.
Great, I'm glad I don't have to go thru the hassle of it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.