Is there any way to lock the computer.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by debo, Apr 21, 2004.

1. debo macrumors regular

Like if I just wanted to lock it so nobody could use it, not completly log out, the way you can in windows. Is there any way to do this that does not use a screen saver?

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

If you're using 10.3, you can enable fast user switching. Once the menu is in the top right hand corner, click on it, and at the bottom select "Login Window". This will return you to the login window, but will still keep you logged in.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The Mac OS X equivalent of locking the computer is checking the "Require password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver" option in the Security pane of System Preferences (if it isn't already checked), then putting the computer to sleep or using a hot corner to activate the screen saver immediately. This only works in Panther.

5. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

If the reason you don't want it to be tied to the screensaver is the delay of it activating or it activating if you pause too long, you might want to try using the hot corners to activate the password protected screensaver. Just set the time 'til it comes on to "never" and check one of the corners.

6. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I was wondering if it is possible to set it up so you just need a password when coming out of sleep, but not from the screen saver.

This would be ideal if it can be done, but Rower's suggest will be a good alternative if not.

7. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

Or you can open up the Keychain Access application in the Utilities folder and select "Show Status in Menu Bar" from the View menu. A little padlock icon will appear in your menu. One of the options is "Lock Screen", which pretty much turns on the "Require Password to wake from Sleep/Screensaver" feature, and then drops right into the screensaver.

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

It's there in Jaguar too.

I'll have to check that Keychain access thing out in a bit...

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Okay, I tried the Keychain thing, and Lock Screen is the same as having a Hot Corner, except harder to activate accidentally.

10. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Also search version tracker for "Blank screensaver" Screensaver that blanks the screen.

11. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

12. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

this is what i do, and it seems like the best option. i suggest it wholeheartedly.

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Or you could make the display sleep time 0 (or something really short), and set a hot corner. About as easy (maybe) but definitely free and smaller chance of it getting flubbed up.

14. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

is DeskShade the one the gives you an optoin to lock the desktop but then display a 'hacker log'? i used an app that did that, you could lock the screen, and any password attemps would be displayed after you unlocked it. really good idea, but one time a system waring came up and then i oculdn't get back to the password window, so i was locked out. :p

anyone know a app that shows something like the 'hacker log'? i mean an app that actually works well...

edit>> the app i once used was DeskShade. i'll download it and give it a try again... but if anyone knows a similar app, i'd like to try alternatives as well. :)