Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdxrealtor1

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2009
Status check - any way to currently do this?

We have decided to use an iPad mini for our media room's main remote control and being able to pick it up and touch the screen to wake it would be excellent.

Cheers and thx in advance for any news!

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I know when this question was asked the 5S and touch ID weren't even out yet. but in case anyone with a 5S is wondering about this the jailbreak tweak virtual home allows you to unlock the phone from sleep by just laying your finger on the home button. No need to wake it up first and then present your fingerprint

Deepus

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2016
Yes u can wakeup the iphone without pressing any home button or power button.. Its simple just activate the " siri " application in yur iphone.. Just commend some contact name or phone.. Tat moment iphone will ask the password... So no need to press any keys

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes u can wakeup the iphone without pressing any home button or power button.. Its simple just activate the " siri " application in yur iphone.. Just commend some contact name or phone.. Tat moment iphone will ask the password... So no need to press any keys
And to activate Siri you need to...guess what...press and hold the Home button (given that we are talking about phones from years back before "Hey Siri" was around).

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm glad he did...this is a useful tweak and just added to my iPhone. Didn't know about it before.
Which tweak?

There's like four or five mentioned in this thread, a few of them which have nothing to do with the issue.

The person I was quoting wasn't even talking about a tweak. Siri always being on is a stock feature of iOS 9 that you can enable or disable.

So, what particular thing are you talking about?

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Which tweak?

There's like four or five mentioned in this thread, a few of them which have nothing to do with the issue.

The person I was quoting wasn't even talking about a tweak. Siri always being on is a stock feature of iOS 9 that you can enable or disable.

So, what particular thing are you talking about?

Smarttap...let me tell you why I've found it useful.

I run low-power mode all the time (thanks to Battivator). Before Battivator, I had to turn low-power mode on manually after charging each time. Apparently, Apple does not fathom why anyone would want low-power mode on 100% of the time.

But with low-power mode is the 30sec screen off (sleep) which as yet, there's no way to disable (or am I mistaken?)

With smarttap on now, I can at least extend (functionally) the screen on now by tapping the screen twice instead of pressing the button. I set the 'allow idle sleep' after 2min of inactivity which would be the screen off time if they was a way to change the 30sec Apple option.

Last edited:
Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Smarttap...let me tell you why I've found it useful.

I run low-power mode all the time (thanks to Battivator). Before Battivator, I had to turn low-power mode on manually after charging each time. Apparently, Apple does not fathom why anyone would want low-power mode on 100% of the time.

But with low-power mode is the 30sec screen off (sleep) which as yet, there's no way to disable (or am I mistaken?)

With smarttap on now, I can at least extend (functionally) the screen on now by tapping the screen twice instead of pressing the button. I set the 'allow idle sleep' after 2min of inactivity which would be the screen off time if they was a way to change the 30sec Apple option.
You might want to take a look at 20 Second Lockscreen and Dim Me (with or without the spaces, I always forget). Both can moderate when the screen turns off and work on iOS 9.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
You might want to take a look at 20 Second Lockscreen and Dim Me (with or without the spaces, I always forget). Both can moderate when the screen turns off and work on iOS 9.

Thanks for those suggestions!

DimMe has some nice features but having problems with getting the screen to turn off after 2 min...seems to stay dimmed forever or turn off after the default 30s. lemme play with it a bit.

The other tweak doesn't seem to work - entering a different value like 90sec doesn't seem to do anything .

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks for those suggestions!

DimMe has some nice features but having problems with getting the screen to turn off after 2 min...seems to stay dimmed forever or turn off after the default 30s. lemme play with it a bit.

The other tweak doesn't seem to work - entering a different value like 90sec doesn't seem to do anything .
With both tweaks, set your stock auto lock option to never. The one inside settings. It is probably conflicting with the tweak.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
With both tweaks, set your stock auto lock option to never. The one inside settings. It is probably conflicting with the tweak.

But enabling low-power automatically enables the auto lock to 30sec. No way to turn that off.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
But enabling low-power automatically enables the auto lock to 30sec. No way to turn that off.
Ah sorry. Didn't realize that. I am rarely on low power (can't recall the last time I was less than 70% on my iPhone or iPad).

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Ah sorry. Didn't realize that. I am rarely on low power (can't recall the last time I was less than 70% on my iPhone or iPad).

No worries...still playing with DimMe. Screen dim comes on but won't turn off the screen off completey once you enter a value for dim delay lock-screen other than default.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.