Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
The following appeared in my browser window when I opened a myspace message:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NulReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and loaction of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
com.ms.vjsharp.VJSEncoding.getEncoding(String enc) +82
com.ms.vjsharp.lang.StringImpl.createString(SByte[] byteArray, Int32 offset, Int 32 count, String enc) +49

etc etc etc. The stack trace goes on for a little while longer.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
macgeek2005 said:
The following appeared in my browser window when I opened a myspace message:

Could be a java virus. Java viruses can get on any system that supports Java - if you're worried about it, download ClamXaV

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
Ok lets not jump the gun on the virus fears here. It's just a .NET web-application error. It has nothing to do with your system, but instead has to do with, in this case, myspace's web server.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
tag said:
Ok lets not jump the gun on the virus fears here. It's just a .NET web-application error. It has nothing to do with your system, but instead has to do with, in this case, myspace's web server.
I bet I have a couple of Java viruses, not like they do anything though... I'm gonna download Clam and scan to see. When i get the results I'll post them. (Yes Macs can get Java viruses). I'm not saying it is a virus, but I'm not saying it isn't.- But I think your right, it is a .NET Web-app on MySpace

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
slooksterPSV said:
I bet I have a couple of Java viruses, not like they do anything though... I'm gonna download Clam and scan to see. When i get the results I'll post them. (Yes Macs can get Java viruses). I'm not saying it is a virus, but I'm not saying it isn't.- But I think your right, it is a .NET Web-app on MySpace

Nothing happened to my computer. If it was a virus my computer ignored it.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
janey said:
myspace is crap.

For the win!

Its just a regular server error.....I see them all the time. I still don't know why every time someone has a minor problem they immediately jump to the conclusion that they have a virus....especially with Macs.

wyrmintheapple

macrumors regular
May 8, 2006
Southampton, UK
You know how sometimes you get one of these messages:

Error 404: Page is missing or something.
Error 403: Permission Denied

Well, instead of saying "Error 404" and telling you the page is missing, Microsoft's web language does....

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NulReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and loaction of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
com.ms.vjsharp.VJSEncoding.getEncoding(String enc) +82
com.ms.vjsharp.lang.StringImpl.createString(SByte[] byteArray, Int32 offset, Int 32 count, String enc) +49

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
yg17 said:
I still don't know why every time someone has a minor problem they immediately jump to the conclusion that they have a virus....especially with Macs.
I think people can't believe that Mac's don't have viruses and are flinching since they've used PC's for so long.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
GimmeSlack12 said:
I think people can't believe that Mac's don't have viruses and are flinching since they've used PC's for so long.
i think people who do flinch are smarter than the people who automatically believe that Macs have no malware.

That kind of attitude, combined with the fact that most people will give out passwords for something as insignificant as a cup of coffee, is why we're having such huge security issues to begin with.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
macgeek2005, you gotta cool it with the virus claim. There are literally billions of problems that can happen to a computer that have nothing to do with a virus. This is how rumors start. Before you know it someone will post to some other forum that there was talk on this forum about a possible virus and then someone from that forum will post it to his blog and then it'll show up on engadget as a "Possible New Virus For Mac circulating?" and then because everyone will be gossiping about it some major news organization will get wind of the rumor and then see all the talk going on about that and take it as verification that there really is a virus and before you know about it you're reading an article in the wall street journal about how a new virus has surfaced for Macs and Apple's stock took a nose dive.

You should NEVER EVER claim virus if you don't have any evidence of one. If you have a weird problem that you don't have any clue what it means that does not mean it's a virus. What you should do is make a post that says "Weird problem with XYZ when I ABC" and people will help you.

Posting about possible viruses in your title is dangerous, spreads FUD, makes people ignore future virus claims because they heard so many cries of wolf that turned out not to be true, and makes your personal credibility and reputation decline. I don't want to be harsh here, but claiming virus is a serious thing that shouldn't be tossed around casually. Just a friendly word to the wise. ;)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Given that it's a Microsoft Visual J# error (read the stack), I wouldn't get too worried about it. :rolleyes:

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Goddamn annoying though.
As much as I hate the image of myspace, a lot of my friends are on it, and we use it to keep in touch (what with university scattering everyone across the country...), and I haven't been able to check my messages for 2 days now!

Gah!!

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
The only way to put the words "mac" and "viruses" together is if you put doesn't get in the middle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.