Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
OWC is a terrific vendor...I'd even save a few more dollars and go with this kit. I've bought OWC-brand RAM several times and it's been great. They guarantee it to be Mac-compatible and it has a full lifetime advance warranty.

NotFound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Thanks WildCowboy-

but the site doesn't list Macbooks with Core 2 Duos compatible, Only core duos..

I guess it wouldn't matter because they both are the same type of ram?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Yep, they use the same RAM...they must have just overlooked adding the C2D models to that page. If you use their memory selector and choose one of the C2D models, the OWC-branded option comes up there.

thebill

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2006
The Home of H.A.L., Illinois
OWC works 4 me!

I bought a 1 GB stick of OWC branded ram back in Feb. for my MacBook Pro, smoth sailin'. Always checks out fine the few times I've run Apple's TechTools hardware test. :cool:

NotFound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Well how about just a 1GB stick- and pair it with one of the 256mb sticks that comes with the macbook?

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/5300DDR2S1GB/

Then I read this at the bottom...

Special Notes:
Apple's Intel processor Mac models use "one of the fastest memory technologies available today—667 MHz, double data rate (DDR2), synchronous dynamic random-access memory (SDRAM). It ensures high performance and reliability by synchronizing memory speed with the speed of the central processor so that data can be delivered continuously and more rapidly to the processor. And if both slots are loaded with an equal amount of RAM, you can take advantage of the system's dual-channel memory architecture for an additional performance boost. With a dual-channel memory interface, both banks of SDRAM can be addressed at the same time, enabling Intel based Mac systems to reach a memory throughput of up to 10.7 GBps."

The quoted portion is from Apple's website.

Which would be the best option? Or does it actually matter?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
1.25 GB of unpaired RAM will almost always be faster than 1 GB of paired RAM. Plus, going with the 1.25 GB now gives you a better route to the full 2 GB if you decide to eventually go there, as you won't be stuck with the 512 MB sticks that you'd want to get rid of.

NotFound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
I thought so, just wanted a second opinion.

Thank you for the timely reply.

NotFound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
For even better prices ($110 - $118 per 2x512 plus 1 Gb and 2 x 1 Gb options), also compare Data Memory Systems

The price for 2 x 1GB looks good.

But is EconoRam very reputable? The name kind of makes me look the other way...

Bulk OEM equipment w/o a lifetime warranty compared to OWC w/a lifetime warranty...

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
The price for 2 x 1GB looks good.

But is EconoRam very reputable? The name kind of makes me look the other way...

Like OWC, DMS sells its own-branded RAM, and they are an excellent company. Their EconoRAM is very good, but only comes with a one-year warranty. So it's up to you to decide whether the price difference is worth giving up the lifetime warranty. Chances are the EconoRAM will be fine for the life of your machine, but that's not guaranteed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.