Is this fake?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by trainguy77, Mar 16, 2006.

1. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

http://www.getitfree.net/ I have been thinking of doing it. I am not sure if I trust it though....It does not ask for a Credit Card number. Whats the catch?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It's one of the many classic pyramid schemes out there. You have to jump through a bunch of hoops, most of which include purchasing things from a third-party. If you miss any one of them, you don't get the "free" item.

And then you have to let them spam all of your friends until they get five of them to jump through all of the same hoops.

Then, if you're really lucky and they haven't packed up their site by then, you *might* get something from them. But probably not.

3. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

The catch is that it is a pyramid scheme meaning you need five other people to register to get whatever.

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

As a general rule, if it seems to good to be true that means it usually is.

5. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Not only is it a PITA to get one, but you'll also be putting your and your friends personal data up for sale to the highest bidder.

Yes, this can happen even if their privacy policy says they won't ever sell the information.

Do you really want more marketers calling you, emailing you, or sending you more junk mail?

Personally, I don't think it's worth the trouble.