Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Had some music playing on my XS whilst showering earlier and of course it got wet, no big deal... until I went to charge it a bit later and got this warning. Is this new to ios13? Never seen it before.

F7CAEFED-188C-4133-A34A-EC3175951006.jpeg

Reactions: jpn

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Had some music playing on my XS whilst showering earlier and of course it got wet, no big deal... until I went to charge it a bit later and got this warning. Is this new to ios13? Never seen it before.

View attachment 859036
Doing the below will void your warranty. Your warranty may already be voided due to moisture. Do at own risk.

Go on Amazon, buy a cheap DIY kit that comes with the proper iPhone screwdrivers.

Open up the XS, leave it overnight to air dry or take a blow dryer to it.

None of the rice methods will ensure that your device is dry. Open up that sucker so you can see for yourself. Better than a fried phone.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Doing the below will void your warranty. Your warranty may already be voided due to moisture. Do at own risk.

Go on Amazon, buy a cheap DIY kit that comes with the proper iPhone screwdrivers.

None of the rice methods will ensure that your device is dry. Open up that sucker so you can see for yourself. Better than a fried phone.
The OP never asked for advice on what to do about it, but either way, this seems pretty extreme for what I would assume is likely just condensation in the Lightning port and a message that will likely go away within hours at most.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
The OP never asked for advice on what to do about it, but either way, this seems pretty extreme for what I would assume is likely just condensation in the Lightning port and a message that will likely go away within hours at most.
The OP is also running a phone with moisture from a shower, which is not recommended.

No one asked you to assume if his phone does or doesn’t have moisture internally, yet you gave your opinion.

I’m giving my opinion: I’d open it up and let it dry out.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
The OP is also running a phone with moisture from a shower, which is not recommended.

No one asked you to assume if his phone does or doesn’t have moisture internally, yet you gave your opinion.

I’m giving my opinion: I’d open it up and let it dry out.
Hey, I’m not the one who suggested taking a hair dryer to a phone on the off-chance there’s any liquid inside the device, which is asinine for reasons including but certainly not limited to (likely unnecessarily) voiding the warranty.

Reactions: zkap

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Hey, I’m not the one who suggested taking a hair dryer to a phone on the off-chance there’s any liquid inside the device, which is asinine for reasons including but certainly not limited to (likely unnecessarily) voiding the warranty.
If you’re getting a water indicator message after taking your phone into the shower, I’d say you have an “off-chance” that you may have water inside your device. If you’re gung-ho about your warranty, you wouldn’t fiddle with the advice given anyway (hence the warning). If your phone’s warranty is about to expire (lots of XS owners on here), you may not care about warranty and prefer to have your device not glitch out in a week due to the water damage you received while showering with a phone incorrectly.

The only thing asinine in this thread are people telling someone to use rice to dry out a phone or assuming someone has condensation in a phone that’s been used against the manufacturer’s recommendations.

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Update, charging returned to normal after an hour or so, guess it dried out. Phone worked fine at all times just wouldn’t charge via lightning. Wireless was fine.

regarding warranty, runs out in 12 days so don’t really care. Not opening the phone. Besides, with IP68 rating a bit condensation won’t be a problem. In fact apples website advises you to rinse the phone under water if it’s splashed with ‘common liquids’ like soda, beer etc.

Remington Steel

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2016

In the immortal words of every hood-rat in every ghetto of every city, “ain’t nobody got time for that!”

WaruiKoohii

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2015
Boston

Do not do this. The phone has gaskets that can easily be damaged when opening it, thereby damaging the phones water resistance.

The message is indicating water in the lightning port, which is open to the air and will dry by itself.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Do not do this. The phone has gaskets that can easily be damaged when opening it, thereby damaging the phones water resistance.

The message is indicating water in the lightning port, which is open to the air and will dry by itself.
Do not listen to this man/woman.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Do not listen to this man/woman.

I disagree. Given the problem as originally explained, that's the logical and sensible thing to do. Jumping to conclusions about water being in the phone, when the evidence doesn't suggest such a thing seems a bit extreme to me.

Additionally, your advice will likely result in a phone sitting around for a day or two while you wait for your fancy screwdriver from Amazon. The other advice is to basically let it dry for a couple hours. Should that not do the trick, THEN I would advise ordering parts and disassembly. But to toss out the easy solution for the hardest, without any evidence suggesting it's the prudent course, seems a bit silly to me. Especially given the risk of causing further damage to the phone in the process.

But we don't even need to guess here. He did what the other poster suggested and all is well. So, question answered.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
I disagree. Given the problem as originally explained, that's the logical and sensible thing to do. Jumping to conclusions about water being in the phone, when the evidence doesn't suggest such a thing seems a bit extreme to me.

Additionally, your advice will likely result in a phone sitting around for a day or two while you wait for your fancy screwdriver from Amazon. The other advice is to basically let it dry for a couple hours. Should that not do the trick, THEN I would advise ordering parts and disassembly. But to toss out the easy solution for the hardest, without any evidence suggesting it's the prudent course, seems a bit silly to me. Especially given the risk of causing further damage to the phone in the process.

But we don't even need to guess here. He did what the other poster suggested and all is well. So, question answered.
All can be well either way. With other situations, from friends and family, things haven’t gone as well as the OP. Using anecdotal evidence to make a claim is illogical. If I get a water indication on my phone and I’m out of warranty (or nearly out), I’ll be busting out a screwdriver and ensuring dryness. Assuming something is dry is a $1100 assumption. Do at your own risk.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
All can be well either way. With other situations, from friends and family, things haven’t gone as well as the OP. Using anecdotal evidence to make a claim is illogical. If I get a water indication on my phone and I’m out of warranty (or nearly out), I’ll be busting out a screwdriver and ensuring dryness. Assuming something is dry is a $1100 assumption. Do at your own risk.

If it was water in the phone, I'd agree. But the message clearly stated it was water in the charging port, which would be outside the phone (that's how I read it). Still, I can understand your argument. Your method is clearly the safest approach. For me, if the phone was still in good working order and had just had some water splashed on it, I would have taken the risk and plugged it in a couple hours later. For better or worse.

My answer is also probably influenced by the fact that the person never mentioned the phone being submerged in water, just that it "got wet". Since that happened in the shower while music was playing, I assumed some water was splashed on it, not that it fell into the water. Had they said it fall into the water, I would have agreed with your position. To me it just sounded like some water on the exterior of the phone. Which was nothing more than as assumption, but that's all I had.

Reactions: MozMan68
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.