Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DCBass

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2004
Washington, DC
Hey All,

I've got a 12" 867 pb that only has usb 1.1. I'd like to upgrade my 2g 20gb ipod, but I don't have the USB 2 required for the 5g ipod.

But here's something I was wondering about. I'm planning on getting me an external harddrive for myself this x-mas with firewire and usb 2 connections.

Is it possible to hook a 5g ipod to the harddrive via usb 2, while the harddrive itself is hooked up to the pb via firewire, and have fast transfers?

I highly doubt this would work, but I thought I might see what you guys have to say.

Thanks.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
carpe diem said:
I dont think you need USB 2 for the 5g iPod
You don't *need* USB2, as it will sync over USB1.1 just fine, but who wants to wait for 30-60GB to transfer at those speeds? Firewire will charge your iPod, but USB is the only way to transfer stuff.

DCBass

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2004
Washington, DC
Thanks

Thanks for the replies fellow rumormongerers!

Like I said, I'm not surprised. I'm still not sure if I should get and edu price 30gb 5g, or get a $249 4g 20gb.

Sure, the first load would be painful, but I don't hook up my ipod to the comp that often...

hmm....

On the negative side, I learned that I've been washing my underwear all too often :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.