Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
is it just me or there has there been hardly any leaks/hype/anticipation for the new phone which is now what only 6 weeks from arrival?

I haven't been following the rumours that much, but it seems to me like there's been a fair amount:

- rumoured new colours
- rumoured Force Touch
- rumoured RAM increase
- rumoured slightly thicker (and possibly strengthened) frame

And probably some other things I've missed. Also keep in mind that since this is expected to be just an "s" upgrade, there shouldn't be any radical changes to the design, so there really might not be much else to reveal. "S" upgrades usually just have one key feature which is hyped. For the 4s it was Siri, for the 5s it was TouchID, for the 6s it will likely be Force Touch. There'll be more exciting rumours and speculation for the 7 next year.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Apple took the excitement out of the leaks by putting out their own leaks. Just not the same.

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
For the 4s it was Siri, for the 5s it was TouchID, for the 6s it will likely be Force Touch. There'll be more exciting rumours and speculation for the 7 next year.

I REALLY hope the highlight feature of the 6s isn't Force Touch. Sure, it's cool, but it is not at the same level as Siri or Touch ID. If the use Force Touch to really sell this phone, I can see it being met with a lukewarm reception by average consumers.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I REALLY hope the highlight feature of the 6s isn't Force Touch. Sure, it's cool, but it is not at the same level as Siri or Touch ID. If the use Force Touch to really sell this phone, I can see it being met with a lukewarm reception by average consumers.

I could see it being part of the incremental upgrade that (S)'s usually are:
  • iOS 9: improved battery life, features, force touch, etc.
  • Hardware: Stronger frame, improved camera, more RAM & processing power, force touch, etc.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK

I disagree. Siri was a good feature, but nobody really uses it. Touch ID is only really used for unlocking the phone. FT will be a system-wide feature. If :apple: really advertises the potential features and ease of navigation with FT, I think the 6S will do well.

Reactions: willmtaylor

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I disagree. Siri was a good feature, but nobody really uses it. Touch ID is only really used for unlocking the phone. FT will be a system-wide feature. If :apple: really advertises the potential features and ease of navigation with FT, I think the 6S will do well.

TouchID is used for far more than just unlocking the phone. You've got ApplePay and unlocking apps instead of having to enter passwords as two examples. It's one of the few features of my phone that I am happy for on a daily basis.

I agree on Siri though. The only times I ever invoke her are "Set a timer" for cooking and "Take me home".

Reactions: willmtaylor

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Plenty of people use Siri, just as plenty don't.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
The biggest one for me is battery life. This is what needs to up its game. Bigger battery, new technologies and better efficiency. I need an actual all day or better iPhone. I have great features but when they kill my device in a handful of hours it becomes pointless. If anyone can bring new battery technologies to market I know Apple can.

Fast charging is great but does not solve the problem only band aids it.

Reactions: Darrensk8

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I could see it being part of the incremental upgrade that (S)'s usually are:
  • iOS 9: improved battery life, features, force touch, etc.
  • Hardware: Stronger frame, improved camera, more RAM & processing power, force touch, etc.

Incremental is a relative term; the iPhone 4 is noted by many as the "largest" or "most significant" update to they iPhone line yet as far as the chipset is concerned, internally it was almost identical to the 3GS (minus the RAM) - perhaps the definition of incremental in a different sense.

The 5s brought some nice features but internally as far as the chipset is concerned, it was arguably the largest jump between iPhone generations. Yet is looks the same, Touch ID/colours aside, as the 5 - though internally it was a significant, not incremental, upgrade.

Every generation brings something new and moves the phones forward in some regard. Its a misnomer to suggest "S" models are incremental upgrades; a new generation of iPhone is a new generation and a year with that technology. A year is a long time.

Also, force touch may end up being completely unnecessary and/or pointless but it may also end up proving to be a unique interface which could change how we interact with touch screens on smartphones moving forward.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014

Tell that to the visually impaired people who depend on Siri.

I have 0 need, 0 interest, 0 care for Apple Pay. I don't know anyone personally who uses it regularly (more than once) or cares for it. I don't know anyone who purchased an iPhone 6 or 6+ just to use it and was a major selling point for them. But there are people who swear by it, and who do make significant use out of it, and who did purchase an iPhone 6 or 6+ (or maybe even an Apple Watch) with the sole intention of making the most of it.

Just because I don't know anyone personally doesn't mean there aren't numerous people out there who do use. In suggesting "nobody really uses Siri", might mean you or people you know in your circles or in passing don't use it often beyond here and there (I am the same actually, I don't make significant use from it either) but there are many, many people out there who use it in significant capacity.

In the end its all about increasing value proposition; many of these features may not be used by some users whereas to others they contain significant value, and the phone is ultimately better off for having the feature even if it means that one extra sale to that one person.

Reactions: ABC5S

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2011
There was always major leaks around a month before iPhone comes out.
Is it delayed? a disappointment to leak or a surprise?

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
There are "leaks" daily in regards to hardware and software just not design. Because the design is heavily influenced by the current iPhone 6/ 6 Plus there is not point in a leak.

phteven

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2015
What more is there to leak? It's not going to look noticeably different. We've already seen the chassis and screen anyway.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
There's nothing really big to report on nowadays. With the iPhone already getting the bigger screen, it's no longer lacking anything basic.

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
Maybe they finally "doubled down" on leaks!

In all seriousness though, the design isn't going to change much on an S model, so there really isn't any point of leaks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.