Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
Sideonecincy said:
Alright, I was talking to some people and they told me "If you buy a Apple laptop and Applecare, during the Applecare, if you send your laptop in 3 times claiming that there is something wrong with it, whether it be hotspots on the screen, power adapter plug screwed up...etc (mainly claiming anything is wrong with it). On the 3rd time, they will tell you that your computer is now considered to be a lemon and they will replace it with a new model. One of the kids who told me this, told me that his room mate did it...

If I had a 1.25 and three things went wrong, at the 3rd time they would give me a new powerbook (which would be a 1.5 now)...

I asked my friend who worked at the apple store and he never heard anything of it, but apparently it is a well known fact at DAAP (DAAP is the art section of University of Cincinnati)...

So who has had work done by apple, to the point where you had to send it in? and has anyone had to send their in 3 times? or has anyone heard of this? I find it hard to believe...but both of them are claiming minor things so they can get their laptops replaced...

your returning your laptop in for the wrong reasons dude... seriously...

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
I have had 2 different machines replaced for free under AppleCare. A desktop Quicksilver for 3 videocard failures in a row attributed to the machine. And my 1.25 powerbook for the screen.

The 'law' is on a state by state basis.

In a consumer friendly state like CA you are far more likely to get action sooner than another state that has less protection. As for corporate policy, probably more than 4 repairs for the same problem equates a cost that a new machine sounds like a good idea. But it all depends on how its documented.
remember that over the years Apple service and Aplelcare has changed dramatically. The policies, people, services, all have undergone changes., Some good, some bad.

I would say if you have a current problem that is ongoing for three repairs, you have a good case for a replacement with today's Applecare.

Also, universities, and major lease holders have special rules for repair/exchange. In the case of several UC system campus' a machine is replaced after the second failure of same part in 12 months. For the CSU system, the lease dictates that the machine is replaced right away, however, they always manage to send back a refurb of same specs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.