Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Seeing as iLife 11 is now totally Intel, do you think the next iTunes release, aswell as things like Safari, iChat, etc will stop being universal binary?

Certainly wouldn't shock me. PowerPC support is going down the tubes, and quick. Adobe CS is Intel-only for CS5, and I think the next version of MS Office will be, too. Oh well, doesn't make my machine any less capable. Until I start relying on flash video online, I've got no problems--CS4, MATLAB 7, Office '08, iLife '08 etc won't stop working just because Apple wants PowerPC to be a distant memory. Heck, remember how long people held on to OS 9? No worries, but I certainly wouldn't drop big money on PowerPC anymore (even to buy a G5 tower, except with very well-defined expectations [like what I'm using mine for, etc]. On the bright side, Mathematica is still shipping as a UB :)

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I think that is very likely, Apple is moving away from powerPC and the last PPC models are getting old enough that they can drop support without too many people getting mad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.