Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
twoodcc said:
i would love to see this become reality. better resolution and quality please!

Keep the resolution, increase the CCD size, otherwise, no increase in quality can happen.

Also they have to redesign it, so it could be sold in Europe/Russia :mad:

mi5moav

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
Photokina is going to be great. Witht the new isights and apple new digital HD videocamera. All great news and then we can cap it all off with the new video store at Apple, can't wait 3 more weeks or so.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
That is great Apple is updating the iSight Camera but how would they go about doing that?

Will Apple changes how it looks, res, etc :confused:

Or more to the point will it support HD or is that jumping the gun a little :confused:

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2005
Maybe this means that they are going to be building the iSights into the ACDs? Although, why would that push back a date for the externals. Just wishing thinking, I suppose. :rolleyes:

I would like to see it bundled with PhotoBooth software, and maybe a light, similar to the Griffin SightLight.

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
please, Please, PLEASE keep it Firewire! I would hate for Apple to move away from such a great technology, and I'm still bitter about having to use USB for my new iPod, it's noticably slower and I want my USB port back!

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
I would buy an iSight... if they made it wireless. Or at least, made it so you could integrate it with the AirPort Express.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Added to the story:

Of note, the iSight (along with some other Apple products) has not been available since early July in Europe due to the RoHS directive. As such, any Apple revision may be focused around compliance with the RoHS directive, especially in light of current environmental pressure by Greenpeace.

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
let's see...
cheat monitors, long shipping dates on iSight i think we're getting...

30 in LCD with iSight, 3 usb and 2 firewire ports on the side and a MacPro(standard version) all in an inclusive package from apple for $3499.

Attachments

• MacPro and new Monitor.jpg
    MacPro and new Monitor.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 214
  • new monitor side.jpg
    new monitor side.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 196
C

CompUser

Ricard said:
New iSight Firewire 800 ...now, that will be cool!

No, it wouldn't, cause most of the apple computers do not have FW800 and Apple has not been putting it in all of their new computers aka Mac Mini, MacBook, MacBook Pro, and iMac.

I got my isight "refreshed" (no, not refurbished) at the apple store for $70 or $80. Not bad considering a new one is $150.

I could see how they might just put the iSights into the cinema displays and just continue making the normal or slightly change the iSight but charge like $80 for it to support users with a 3rd party monitor or iMac/PowerBook/iBook users

termite

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2003
Refurb AirPort Extreme has been reduced to $149 in the Apple Store for a few weeks. Apple Store now says 7-10 days for a new Extreme. Amazon no longer lists it for sale. Adding wireless to a Mac Pro puts the shipping at 3-5 days.

I hope this means something nice -- I'm in the market to buy.

C

CompUser

Mydriasis said:
let's see...

30 in LCD with iSight, 3 usb and 2 firewire ports on the side and a MacPro(standard version) all in an inclusive package from apple for $3499.

I certainly hope they would never put the FW & USB ports there, that would be quite unclean looking.

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
CompUser said:
No, it wouldn't, cause most of the apple computers do not have FW800 and Apple has not been putting it in all of their new computers aka Mac Mini, MacBook, MacBook Pro, and iMac.

I got my isight "refreshed" (no, not refurbished) at the apple store for $70 or $80. Not bad considering a new one is $150.

I could see how they might just put the iSights into the cinema displays and just continue making the normal or slightly change the iSight but charge like $80 for it to support users with a 3rd party monitor or iMac/PowerBook/iBook users

17-inch MacBook Pro has 1 FireWire 800 port.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
What? :confused:
They're still selling those things?

I vote the iSight the least significant Apple product. :D

(Well, I guess there are some really insignificant iPod accessories, like "socks" or whatever. :rolleyes: The iSight is surely the least significant hardware product... :D :D :D )

icloud

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
iSee said:
What? :confused:
They're still selling those things?

I vote the iSight the least significant Apple product. :D

(Well, I guess there are some really insignificant iPod accessories, like "socks" or whatever. :rolleyes: The iSight is surely the least significant hardware product... :D :D :D )

Never Speak ill of the SOCKS! :p
iPod Socks: The Little Case that Could!

C

CompUser

abrooks said:
17-inch MacBook Pro has 1 FireWire 800 port.

Ok, but it already has a built in iSight so its pretty much a waste of money.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
I've been pretty unhappy with my iSight, it got super hot, had a "stuck" pixel in the camera (didn't even know that was possible), and it always annoyed me that the camera adjusted whenever the computer booted.

I sold it on eBay last month for $100 after owning it for 3 years and paying $129 for it after an educational discount, good riddance.

macidiot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Mydriasis said:
let's see...

That's great. A nice embedded cam that can't be tilted or swiveled. The lack of adjustments on the mbp isight is retarded.

TheKrillr

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2006
macidiot said:
the built-in isight is pretty useless. see my post above.

I think you are all forgetting what the builtin isight is all about... videoconferencing. Nothing more, nothing less. From that aspect, the builtin one is /perfect/.

Its not supposed to be a digital camera or digital video camera. Neither is the external iSight. If you want something like that, buy one thats for that.

macidiot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
TheKrillr said:
I think you are all forgetting what the builtin isight is all about... videoconferencing. Nothing more, nothing less. From that aspect, the builtin one is /perfect/.

Its not supposed to be a digital camera or digital video camera. Neither is the external iSight. If you want something like that, buy one thats for that.

All valid points. But it is also useless for videoconferencing, at least in my case.

I have a mbp and an external display, using a dual monitor setup. My mbp is offset. The lack of adjustments means the isight creates a very nice shot of my ear. Additionally, on the occasion when I do use the the mbp without an external monitor, when I have the display adjusted so I can see it, the isight often gets a very nice shot of the top of my head. Sweet. And how about if I'd like to show something other than my ear or top of my head, such as a something in the room? I suppose I could physically rotate the mbp, but of course, I wouldn't be able to see what's on the screen.

And I'm not even going to get into the poor performance of the isight in low light conditions. And by that, I mean not having a flood light on my face. My office lighting is bright enough to not activate the lighted keyboard, but apparently too dim for isight.

Perfect? Hardly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.