Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DieterRams

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
I have a brand new 2011 MBA 13" and when I plug in an audio cable into the headphone port, it's like it doesn't recognize it until about 4 seconds later. I'll plug in the audio cable into the computer and the sound keeps playing from the MBA internal speakers until about 4 seconds later when the sound starts playing from the external speakers. I've tried plugging in earbuds that I use with my iPhone - same thing. Anyone else have this with their MBA or does the sound start playing immediately? I tried searching the forum for related issues but don't think I found anything directly related. If anyone knows of a prior post, please do include it. Thank you

YOKOJP

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2008
I have a brand new 2011 MBA 13" and when I plug in an audio cable into the headphone port, it's like it doesn't recognize it until about 4 seconds later. I'll plug in the audio cable into the computer and the sound keeps playing from the MBA internal speakers until about 4 seconds later when the sound starts playing from the external speakers. I've tried plugging in earbuds that I use with my iPhone - same thing. Anyone else have this with their MBA or does the sound start playing immediately? I tried searching the forum for related issues but don't think I found anything directly related. If anyone knows of a prior post, please do include it. Thank you

Same as my MBA 13' i5 256gb.

elliotn

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2011
And my MBA 13' i5 128gb. (I assume a fix is on Apple's expanding to-do list.)

stark4

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
i just tested my 2011 MBA 13" and yeah there is a 4 sec delay.. btw i have to use a little bit of force to plug it in... do you guys notice that also? ... maybe the the port is smaller?

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Same with mine.

cool, so I see you went with the 13", how are you liking it so far compared to the 11"?

YOKOJP

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2008
Same with mine.

cool, so I see you went with the 13", how are you liking it so far compared to the 11"?

I had the 11" 2010 and give it to my nephew for college. i bought myself the 13" i5 with 256GB. I love the machine but I missed the 11" , so i decided to give the 13" to my wife and get myself the 11" i7.

Please don't get me wrong I love the 13", it just that i missed the form factor of the 11".

Last edited:

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
It's even a bit more when you are connected through a Thunderbolt Display. But it's not really bothering me.

DieterRams

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
Same with mine.

Hey Fernandez, yes, I went with 13". It's definitely roomier to work with in terms of the size of the palm rest and trackpad. It's significantly more comfortable in that respect. Otherwise, I almost find the screen to be too tall after being with the 11" for those two weeks! And the size of it is more "standard" laptop than anything as unique as the 11" but the comfort factor doesn't make me miss it as much overall.

In any case, it seems this audio input issue is par the course. Just thought it was a strange thing but I guess I'll just live with it. Actually, I could perhaps go to the Apple Store to test the ones they have to make sure. But I think everyone here has pretty much confirmed it.

Poindexter333

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
NYC metropolitan area
I've had the identical experience with the delay.

Forming a decent bunch of observations.

Not really bothering me either. There are certainly other little issues that the engineers could spend their time on.

DieterRams

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
Yea, it's by no means a crippling defect but interesting that it happens in the first place I guess. Don't remember it being the case on any other Macbook I've used. Also interesting that everyone who has responded is using a 13". Anyone care to comment if it happens on your 11"? And other 13" owners as well of course

jamesr19

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2009
I think it's just standard feature/delay really as it was the same on my MBP 2009. OS X detects what headphones you've plugged in (i.e. plug iPod 2ring headphones in, set a volume then plug iPhone 3ring headphones in and set the volume - it remembers two different volume settings (3 inc speakers)!)

kp416

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
I think it's just standard feature/delay really as it was the same on my MBP 2009. OS X detects what headphones you've plugged in (i.e. plug iPod 2ring headphones in, set a volume then plug iPhone 3ring headphones in and set the volume - it remembers two different volume settings (3 inc speakers)!)

Still not sure how a 4 second delay is part of a feature. I don't see this as a feature.

Last edited:

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
happens on my 13"/i7/256
probably a lion bug

It's not Lion. This happens on both MacBook Pros I've owned (one that came installed with Leopard and was upgraded to Snow Leopard; another on Snow Leopard that has upgraded to Lion), and occurs on my 2010 MBA running Snow Leopard.

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
happens on my air also but I actually welcome it. The delay prevents my external speakers from crackling if I plug them in while powered on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.