Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nate16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Maryland
I recently installed a new SSD into my late 2012 Mini. Install was not a problem and getting everything copied over from the old hard drive to the new one also didn't seem to be an issue. I planned on using the old hard drive as a holding ground for a lot of the files that I don't use very often. The problem that I am running into is that the Disk Utility is not allowing me to unmount and erase the old hard drive. Any ideas on how I can get the old hard drive unmounted so that I can erase it and use it the way I planned on?

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
the Disk Utility is not allowing me to unmount and erase the old hard drive.

Are you sure you are booting from the ssd?

Yes adam9c1 is correct. Disk Utility will not perform certain actions on the Boot Drive. Here is another concern. If you are still booting from your old hard drive then perhaps you have not verified that your SSD boots the Mac properly.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH20569?locale=en_US

You really must check the SSD before you erase your old hard drive. We all know what happened in that unfortunate doctor's lab the day that he fired up his monster with the "Bad Brain" that Igor brought him. :eek:

nate16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Maryland
Are you sure you are booting from the ssd?

Yes I am booting from the SSD. See here. The difference is startup time is clear. I can go from turned off to up in running in under 10 seconds. With the old hard drive it was closer to 45 seconds.

If you are still booting from your old hard drive then perhaps you have not verified that your SSD boots the Mac properly.

Is there anything else to verify other than the computer showing that it is booting from the SSD and that all of my files/applications are showing that they are coming from the SSD and not the old HD?

Reactions: Celerondon

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
I would say boot to recovery partition and then via Disk Util wipe.
HOWEVER..

Can you remove the spinning HD (physically) from the system and see if your computer continues to function normally?

Do you have some sort of a backup of your machine?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP, do this:

Reboot.
Once up-and-running, go to the Apple menu and choose "About this Mac".
Does it verify that you -are- booting from the SSD?
(regardless of what the startup disk pref pane says)

If you are, try this next:
Reboot from the recovery partition on the SSD (hold down the option key at boot and select it from the startup manager).
Open Disk Utility now and try to re-initialize the HDD.

nate16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Maryland
Can you remove the spinning HD (physically) from the system and see if your computer continues to function normally?

I finally had a chance to do that today and yes, the computer boots perfectly from just the SSD. I tried opened a dozen or so programs and associated files without issue. InDesign is the only program that is having problems for me so I'm going to do a reinstall of that.

Do you have some sort of a backup of your machine?

I have backups on backups. I have TimeMachine running on an external, BackBlaze, and an on and off-site NAS.

nate16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Maryland
Does it verify that you -are- booting from the SSD?

Yes it shows that I am booting from the SSD.

Reboot from the recovery partition on the SSD (hold down the option key at boot and select it from the startup manager).
Open Disk Utility now and try to re-initialize the HDD.

I went in and wiped the drive from the recovery partition and rebooted. HD is now wiped and everything is running the way it should be. Thank you for the support. I am finally able to do what I want to do.

Reactions: Celerondon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.