Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robot62155

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Hello everybody! I have recently been having a problem where every time I log onto my Macbook Pro, my computer will not automatically connect to my own Wi-Fi. It automatically connects to my neighbor's Wi-Fi. While this is not the worst issue in the world, it gets annoying. I have tried using the 'forget this network' button in system preferences multiple times, but it does not work. Is there a way to set my own Wi-Fi to the default network to connect to? I have fiddled around in System Preferences quite a lot, but I've decided it's time to seek help here. Any response will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Go to the screen below in the advanced section of the wifi network in the Network pref pane in System Prefs. Select ALL the entries then click the minus to remove them. Go ahead and check the box to "Remember networks this computer has joined." Then click okay.

7Da2Nrq.png

Now back on the main Network pref pane UNcheck "Ask to join new networks.

oaRCFSx.png

Now logout then log back in and manually select your wifi network. That should add it to the preferred list and it should only automatically logon to your network.

robot62155

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Go to the screen below in the advanced section of the wifi network in the Network pref pane in System Prefs. Select ALL the entries then click the minus to remove them. Go ahead and check the box to "Remember networks this computer has joined." Then click okay.

7Da2Nrq.png

Now back on the main Network pref pane UNcheck "Ask to join new networks.

oaRCFSx.png

Now logout then log back in and manually select your wifi network. That should add it to the preferred list and it should only automatically logon to your network.

This worked perfectly. Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.