Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
For context: I originally bought my current 128GB iPhone XR as a stopgap replacement to my then 128GB iPhone 7 Plus. At the time, the iPhone 12 phones were the newest and I wasn't wanting to upgrade to them, but rather wait. Well, maybe I waited a bit too long. But, that's a story for another time. I'm currently getting ready to pull the trigger on a 256GB iPhone 13.

My iPhone XR has one big issue. The Phone app has issues. If I'm on a call, and I hit the sleep/wake button, there's a 95% chance the call will end. If I'm on a call, I have to hit the speaker phone button several times to turn on speaker phone (it's more troublesome when I have other Apple devices that I could transfer the call over to, but it's still really bad when there aren't any) and sometimes, it never turns on. (Yes, my digitizer and screen are just fine and I have no touchscreen issues on this phone on any other app.). Similarly, the buttons in visual voicemail are also super finicky and don't always work. Getting a voicemail to be played over speakerphone is more miss than hit. I have no idea why. I've tolerated these problems for way longer than any reasonable person might, but I think that's largely because phone calls and the Phone app is not an app I use very frequently. I mainly text and use apps. For what it's worth, I have zero problems in FaceTime, Facebook Messenger, or any other app that can be used to make and receive phone calls of some sort. Other than that, the phone is fine.

Usual non-invasive troubleshooting steps all don't seem to do anything. I have force-quit the app a bunch, rebooted a bunch, even reset network settings, all to no avail. The only things I haven't tried are a DFU restore and updating my phone past the iOS version it's currently on. I'm ashamed to admit that I'm still on iOS 14.8.1.

The reasons for this were simply (a) I didn't intend to have this phone for two years; it was a stopgap, (b) I much prefer bumping to a whole new iOS or iPadOS release via a clean rebuild using DFU restores, (c) the computer that I currently sync my music to is in a bit of a state of disarray, and (d) given, point (b) and the fact that this is my active iPhone, and therefore the mandatory center of all ecosystems, it's going to take much more time than usual and entail a lot more forethought on my part.

Apple will give me $150 towards trading this iPhone in. eBay shows that I can get $250 for it. Even if I didn't have this issue with the Phone app, I'm still moving to the iPhone 13 (I'm tired of the XR's single lens camera system and I know there are plenty of rad hardware features that came about from A13 Bionic through A15 Bionic). I also fell out of AppleCare+ two days ago, but still have 28 days to renew it.

I'm torn between doing the following things:

1) Trading it into Apple as it is and hoping the Phone app issues are not hardware related, taking my $150 discount off of the cost of the 256GB iPhone 13 and calling it a day

2) DFU restoring my iPhone XR to iOS 16.3.1 (since I'm going to be getting a brand new phone soon anyway) and seeing if that fixes my problems:

2A - if it does, I get my new iPhone 13 and list the iPhone XR on eBay once I've successfully moved over

2B - if it does not, I extend AppleCare+ (maybe not with theft and loss, and only long enough to take it into an Apple Store to get it repaired or, more likely, replaced), then I get to sell an unused refurbished 128GB iPhone XR and probably more than make back the $7.99 or whatever that it cost to renew AppleCare+. I would, promptly stop paying for it for the following month.

Firstly, has anyone ever had Phone app issues similar to the ones I'm having on this iPhone XR with iOS 14.8.1 on ANY OTHER iPhone (whether a XR and/or iOS 14.8.1 or otherwise)?

Secondly, given that selling this phone could make me another $100 over what Apple would give me, what would you do in this situation if you were in my shoes? I wasn't so enamored with this phone that I care to keep it (the way that I still have my iPhone 6s Plus for sentimental reasons), and not getting any money from it seems silly.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
If I were you, my decision tree is simple.

Do I still want to use this phone?
If yes, I'll update to the latest iOS to see if the problem still occurs. If not, great. If yes, then I would renew Applecare and get it fixed.
If no, then I would simply backup my data, and immediately get a new phone, reset the XR to factory, and sell it. Many people are searching iPhones with older iOS, so having it still on iOS14 might make it worth a bit more.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
If I were you, my decision tree is simple.

Do I still want to use this phone?
If yes, I'll update to the latest iOS to see if the problem still occurs. If not, great. If yes, then I would renew Applecare and get it fixed.
If no, then I would simply backup my data, and immediately get a new phone, reset the XR to factory, and sell it. Many people are searching iPhones with older iOS, so having it still on iOS14 might make it worth a bit more.
My main aversion to selling it as it is right now is the bug in the phone app. I feel pretty good that Apple's trade-in partner either wouldn't notice the bug (assuming it's hardware related). But $~100 extra cash in my pocket during this crappy economy is worth seeing if the problem persists after a DFU restore to the latest.

And people care about iOS 14 still? It was okay. Certainly better than the garbage fire that was iOS 13, but nothing I'd ever write home about. A far cry from the stable glory that was iOS 12.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
My main aversion to selling it as it is right now is the bug in the phone app. I feel pretty good that Apple's trade-in partner either wouldn't notice the bug (assuming it's hardware related). But $~100 extra cash in my pocket during this crappy economy is worth seeing if the problem persists after a DFU restore to the latest.

And people care about iOS 14 still? It was okay. Certainly better than the garbage fire that was iOS 13, but nothing I'd ever write home about. A far cry from the stable glory that was iOS 12.
You can simply reset the phone and setup as new to see if the problem persist without upgrading iOS.

I don’t know if people cares about iOS 14 specifically, but there are people who tend to hunt iPhones that have older OS in them. YMMV.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
You can simply reset the phone and setup as new to see if the problem persist without upgrading iOS.

Oh, totally. I just would hate to do that kind of wipe, find that the problem persists and then be left with doing a DFU restore anyway. I feel like I might as well just do the DFU restore, y'know?

I don’t know if people cares about iOS 14 specifically, but there are people who tend to hunt iPhones that have older OS in them. YMMV.
For sure. I definitely get that. I'll look to see if I find anything specifically about this phone an iOS 14. I know it originally launched with iOS 12. But, when I bought it new, iOS 14 was the current release and, thusly, what Apple shipped it to me with.

vladstarr

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2021
IMG_2747.jpeg
On iOS 16 there is such option to disable call ending on power button press. Accessibility - touch.

I preivously had XR which was running iOS 14.8.1 and there were no such problems with Phone app. You can definitely try to reset the phone first. Then update via DFU, if reset doesn't solve your problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: antiprotest

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I’m pragmatic and if time is money you’re already in the hole for not upgrading to the latest version. Your time is not infinite. You will never that money equivalent back. Press the upgrade button and get ios 16.3.1. And see if you’re having issues.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
View attachment 2175626 On iOS 16 there is such option to disable call ending on power button press. Accessibility - touch.

I preivously had XR which was running iOS 14.8.1 and there were no such problems with Phone app. You can definitely try to reset the phone first. Then update via DFU, if reset doesn't solve your problems.

Yeah, the current behavior seems odd. I thought it might be that I was "using it wrong", but even then my issue with the sleep/wake is inconsistent.

I’m pragmatic and if time is money you’re already in the hole for not upgrading to the latest version. Your time is not infinite. You will never that money equivalent back. Press the upgrade button and get ios 16.3.1. And see if you’re having issues.
I have nothing to lose by updating directly to it, if I'm going to be wiping it. The time I spend trying to fix this is time I have in more abundance than the kind of money I'd get back from selling this phone. I'm not saying I'm in dire straits, but I can afford to spend a couple hours troubleshooting my phone properly before readying it for sale.

I think my process flowchart is

- Does updating fix it?

If yes, yay, wipe it and get it ready for sale when getting iPhone 13

If no, DFU wipe

- Does DFU wipe fix to?

If no, pay the $8 to re-activate Standard AppleCare+ (probably no need for Theft and Loss) and have AppleCare fix/replace, and get ready for sale

My only lingering concern is whether my re-activating AppleCare and then canceling it means that someone else getting the phone couldn't then re-activate it if they so desired. I have 26 days to decide to re-activate it at this point and I will surely have moved phones within that time period.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Yeah, the current behavior seems odd. I thought it might be that I was "using it wrong", but even then my issue with the sleep/wake is inconsistent.

I have nothing to lose by updating directly to it, if I'm going to be wiping it. The time I spend trying to fix this is time I have in more abundance than the kind of money I'd get back from selling this phone. I'm not saying I'm in dire straits, but I can afford to spend a couple hours troubleshooting my phone properly before readying it for sale.

I think my process flowchart is

- Does updating fix it?

If no, DFU wipe

- Does DFU wipe fix to?

If no, pay the $8 to re-activate Standard AppleCare+ (probably no need for Theft and Loss) and have AppleCare fix/replace, and get ready for sale

My only lingering concern is whether my re-activating AppleCare and then canceling it means that someone else getting the phone couldn't then re-activate it if they so desired. I have 26 days to decide to re-activate it at this point and I will surely have moved phones within that time period.
Too much for me, buts it’s your phone. I wouldn’t be more than one release behind the latest iOS version anyway.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Too much for me, buts it’s your phone. I wouldn’t be more than one release behind the latest iOS version anyway.
I generally try not to be this behind. This phone was never meant to be my phone for all that long and I generally prefer to do DFU restores when jumping whole versions (the end result is quite a bit snappier). I honestly should've gotten the iPhone 13 Pro last year. I waited too long to realize that's what I wanted. So, iPhone 13 for now and then, down the road, iPhone 16 Pro? We'll see.

Reactions: I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I generally try not to be this behind. This phone was never meant to be my phone for all that long and I generally prefer to do DFU restores when jumping whole versions (the end result is quite a bit snappier). I honestly should've gotten the iPhone 13 Pro last year. I waited too long to realize that's what I wanted. So, iPhone 13 for now and then, down the road, iPhone 16 Pro? We'll see.
I haven't noticed a DFU restore/upgrade results in a snappier phone...but YMMV. Also if you get the iphone 14 your trade-in/resale should be proportionally higher than the 13 and you have the best iphone ever.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I reckon the sleep button to end a call is intended behaviour. You can use assistive touch to put the phone on standby whilst on a phone call.

I use the sleep button to end calls, iPhone Xʀ running iOS 12.

Regardless, you seem convinced on upgrading.

iOS 16 has the option you desire as a setting, and any iPhone on an older iOS version is more desirable... so maybe sell it on iOS 14 and upgrade?

If you were to keep it, I’d never recommend updating, but since you are not... it doesn’t really matter I think, and you might as well make it more desirable by selling it on iOS 14.

For whatever it’s worth, I don’t have the rest of the issues you mention, though I’m running iOS 12.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I haven't noticed a DFU restore/upgrade results in a snappier phone...but YMMV. Also if you get the iphone 14 your trade-in/resale should be proportionally higher than the 13 and you have the best iphone ever.

Some models are better than others in this regard. That said, my reason for doing it here is more to make sure that I can tell Apple that I did it as a troubleshooting step and the issues persisted (which is usually what they try to get you to do as the last troubleshooting step before determining that you are actually having a hardware problem). I'm going to sell this phone regardless. I just want to make sure I do so without there being a known hardware issue.

But you're saying that, for the same phone, my trade-in value is higher the newer the phone I buy? That seems...very un-Apple. I do know that they do not care about how much storage your device has when evaluating its trade-in value.

I reckon the sleep button to end a call is intended behaviour. You can use assistive touch to put the phone on standby whilst on a phone call.

It's not consistent. At least it wasn't in iOS 14.8.1. I actually just updated to 16.3.1 today and my issues are all still persisting.

I use the sleep button to end calls, iPhone Xʀ running iOS 12.

Regardless, you seem convinced on upgrading.

I'm definitely upgrading. There are a variety of reasons for doing so that have nothing to do with the issues that I'm having. I just want to resolve the issues that I'm having so that I can sell my XR and know confidently that I am not selling something with un-disclosed issues to someone. I want to make the most money back for it.

iOS 16 has the option you desire as a setting, and any iPhone on an older iOS version is more desirable... so maybe sell it on iOS 14 and upgrade?

Eh...I did a cursory search on eBay and didn't find much of a difference. Plus, I'm pretty sure that I have defective hardware that will require me to get a replacement. That's where the whole "sign up to renew my AppleCare+ just for the month" part comes in. I'm spending $8 (because I'm presuming re-activating the full AppleCare+ with theft and loss is overkill for what I want to do) to be spared the kind of hefty repair fee that wouldn't be worth it. Incidentally, if it comes to that and signing up to renew AppleCare+ for one month is a bad idea, then I can do the trade-in with Apple and eat the $100 difference.

If you were to keep it, I’d never recommend updating, but since you are not... it doesn’t really matter I think, and you might as well make it more desirable by selling it on iOS 14.

Eh...I looked to see if there was a huge mark-up on that. There's not. Plus, I'm more interested in selling a working phone than a quasi-not-working phone running an older iOS release while it can still take new iOS releases.

For whatever it’s worth, I don’t have the rest of the issues you mention, though I’m running iOS 12.
Yeah, I think if you forget the "sleep/wake ending calls" thing (which, again, was never behaving consistently enough to make me believe that my experience was a feature, not a bug), the other issues with the Phone app are odd and unlike any other iPhone I've ever owned or used for phone calls. You'd think it was the digitizer or touch screen if it weren't for the fact that literally every other app (including the rest of the springboard) is fine.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
So, just to update and close the loop on this, a DFU restore fixed my issues. My plan is to sell this phone as it is (will hopefully have it listed by this weekend), having just now pulled the trigger on a 256GB Starlight iPhone 13. Here's hoping it's all groovy from here!

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
So, just to update and close the loop on this, a DFU restore fixed my issues. My plan is to sell this phone as it is (will hopefully have it listed by this weekend), having just now pulled the trigger on a 256GB Starlight iPhone 13. Here's hoping it's all groovy from here!
iOS’ largest issue: forcing an update while restoring. Unfortunately, it’s the only serious troubleshooting step, and, if required, updating is unavoidable.

Congratulations on the new iPhone!

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
iOS’ largest issue: forcing an update while restoring.

Actually, that wasn't what happened here at all.

I had software bugs in my iOS 14.8.1 installation on that iPhone. Upgrading to 16.3.1 without restoring didn't fix those issues. DFU restoring 16.3.1 DID fix those issues. It's possible that I could've fixed them through a standard restore, or even just resetting Network Settings. But, I figured since (a) I'm looking to sell the phone anyway, (b) I'm getting a whole new phone anyway, and (c) a DFU restore is always the last thing to try before chalking it up to being a hardware or software problem definitively, I figured I'd just cut to the chase.

Luckily, DFU fixed it.
Unfortunately, it’s the only serious troubleshooting step, and, if required, updating is unavoidable.

I'll agree that particular part sucks. Not being able to have my choice of iOS versions or being able to DFU restore to exactly where I am sucks. I will give Apple credit. iOS 16.3.1 does not seem noticeably slower on the XR than 14.8.1 was. Also, I don't notice much in the way of added speed between DFU restoring vs. updating. In much older times, that would've made a 10 point speed difference. Though, much earlier iOS releases running on much older hardware.

Congratulations on the new iPhone!
Thank you! Sounds like the latest it will get here is tomorrow (I pulled the trigger at 1am today). Seems like they are in a rush to get it to me. Probably works out; I'll need to list this iPhone XR pretty much immediately.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Actually, that wasn't what happened here at all.

I had software bugs in my iOS 14.8.1 installation on that iPhone. Upgrading to 16.3.1 without restoring didn't fix those issues. DFU restoring 16.3.1 DID fix those issues. It's possible that I could've fixed them through a standard restore, or even just resetting Network Settings. But, I figured since (a) I'm looking to sell the phone anyway, (b) I'm getting a whole new phone anyway, and (c) a DFU restore is always the last thing to try before chalking it up to being a hardware or software problem definitively, I figured I'd just cut to the chase.

Luckily, DFU fixed it.
Yeah, I meant your second point. Restoring fixes issues that regularly updating does not, but you can’t restore to your current version, which means that, in practice, Apple always forces you to the latest version when you have an issue.
I'll agree that particular part sucks. Not being able to have my choice of iOS versions or being able to DFU restore to exactly where I am sucks. I will give Apple credit. iOS 16.3.1 does not seem noticeably slower on the XR than 14.8.1 was. Also, I don't notice much in the way of added speed between DFU restoring vs. updating. In much older times, that would've made a 10 point speed difference. Though, much earlier iOS releases running on much older hardware.
The issue nowadays is more battery life than performance. Both are unfortunate, however!
Thank you! Sounds like the latest it will get here is tomorrow (I pulled the trigger at 1am today). Seems like they are in a rush to get it to me. Probably works out; I'll need to list this iPhone XR pretty much immediately.
Pretty fast, that’s nice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.