Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2017
I bought the Adonit Note stylus based on Dan's review on MacRumors.
It arrived yesterday, and it is not working as expected on my iPad. The ink is skipping (creating gaps) and lagging behind the pen.

My iPad model is A1893. My OS version is 12.1.4.

I am using a glass screen protector from Amazon (see here) which I suspect is probably the issue, but it says it's fully compatible with Apple Pencil!

Yes, I reached out to Adonit support but they don't have a reputation for being the quickest and I'd like to see if my fellow forum members have any similar experiences or advice.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
It arrived yesterday, and it is not working as expected on my iPad. The ink is skipping (creating gaps) and lagging behind the pen.

My iPad model is A1893. My OS version is 12.1.4.

I am using a glass screen protector from Amazon (see here) which I suspect is probably the issue, but it says it's fully compatible with Apple Pencil!

Yes, I reached out to Adonit support but they don't have a reputation for being the quickest and I'd like to see if my fellow forum members have any similar experiences or advice.
I suspect that it is the glass screen protector. Being "fully compatible with Apple Pencil" is not relevant here because the Adonit Note is NOT a hardware equivalent to the Apple Pencil. It employs a different technology.

Unless you have another iPad, it will be impossible to troubleshoot the problem without removing the screen protector.

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2017
I actually found the solution!

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Now the Adonit Note works silky smooth.
Strange fix, but it worked, and I'm so glad I didn't remove my screen protector.

Thanks for your input sracer. I actually think it might be the same tech as Apple Pencil but I've heard reports both ways.
Anyway, hope this thread helps other early adopters of the Note.

Reactions: arn and sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I actually found the solution!

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Now the Adonit Note works silky smooth.
Strange fix, but it worked, and I'm so glad I didn't remove my screen protector.

Thanks for your input sracer. I actually think it might be the same tech as Apple Pencil but I've heard reports both ways.
Anyway, hope this thread helps other early adopters of the Note.
Wow, that's great news! Glad to hear that's all it took.

Does the Adonit Note work on ALL apps and supports palm rejection? I know most of the bluetooth styli out there only work with apps that are written to support it. But if the Note works everywhere that the Apple Pencil does then that's a great alternative.

Reactions: scottcampbell

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2017

Does the Adonit Note work on ALL apps and supports palm rejection? I know most of the bluetooth styli out there only work with apps that are written to support it. But if the Note works everywhere that the Apple Pencil does then that's a great alternative.
Yes, the Note works on all apps and on the home screen and lock screen (tap to open Notes). It supports palm rejection too. There is no Bluetooth and no pairing needed.
It's $50 and looks and feels nice, so I'd agree that it's a good alternative.
(The trade-offs are Micro-USB charging, no pressure sensitivity, and no tilt sensors. If you're an artist, you probably want those latter two features.)

Last edited:
Reactions: sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Yes, the Note works on all apps and on the home screen and lock screen (double tap to open Notes). It supports palm rejection too. There is no Bluetooth and no pairing needed.
(The trade-offs are Micro-USB charging, no pressure sensitivity, and no tilt sensors. If you're an artist, you probably want those latter two features.)
Outstanding! Thanks for that info. Sounds like it uses the Logitech Crayon technology.

Reactions: RevTEG

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Yes, the Note works on all apps and on the home screen and lock screen (tap to open Notes). It supports palm rejection too. There is no Bluetooth and no pairing needed.
I might get one then!

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2017
Update: I had to Reset Network Settings a second time yesterday, which saddened me because I had hoped the fix would stick. We'll see how it does from here.

When it works, it's great! I took a lot of notes this morning using the Adonit Note and Notability app. Loved it.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village

The Adonit, like other non-Apple Pencil stylii, “works” in all apps because it’s basically acting as finger input. You certainly won’t get Palm rejection in all apps, only supported apps. Exactly how well it works between supported apps and everything else is going to be user perception. Personally, I could tell very quickly that I was in an app that was supported, but take that with a grain of salt because I didn’t care for the operation even in supported apps.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village

The experience you describe here is actually common to all non-Apple Pencil fine tipped styli.
Performance is going to depend on a lot of factors but what you’ll probably notice most affecting it is SPEED. It’s all about hitting and staying within a sweet spot - too slow and it’s going to get jagged, too fast and you’ll see skipping, lag, etc. Some of these may be improved with software that supports the stylus, but not completely.

Once you get into a groove using it, it will become second nature (and then it will only happen when you’re trying to do something fast and important... ;-) ).

Nope. The Adonit takes advantage of the improvements in the iPad’s screen that made the Pencil possible (enhanced touch tracking), but the Adonit is not using the same tech as the Apple Pencil uses.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
The Adonit, like other non-Apple Pencil stylii, “works” in all apps because it’s basically acting as finger input. You certainly won’t get Palm rejection in all apps, only supported apps. Exactly how well it works between supported apps and everything else is going to be user perception. Personally, I could tell very quickly that I was in an app that was supported, but take that with a grain of salt because I didn’t care for the operation even in supported apps.
I don't think that is correct. According to their site it seems to be comparable to the Logitech Crayon and NOT the older BT styli.

https://www.adonit.net/note/

They even say that the Note is only supported on those iPads that support the Apple Pencil.

I have an Adonit Dash 3 (for my iPad Mini 4) and THAT is just like other non-Apple Pencil Styli.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
I don't think that is correct. According to their site it seems to be comparable to the Logitech Crayon and NOT the older BT styli.

https://www.adonit.net/note/

They even say that the Note is only supported on those iPads that support the Apple Pencil.

I have an Adonit Dash 3 (for my iPad Mini 4) and THAT is just like other non-Apple Pencil Styli.

You're right - I was thinking about the Pixel.
Chalk that up to me not carefully reading (and not knowing that Adonit is still making new stylii).

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
My wife's gold Adonit Note arrived last night. (the gold is the same type of rose gold-type shade of the gold iPad)

It does appear to use similar technology as the Logitech Crayon. No pairing necessary. No pressure sensitivity or tilt control, but works just as well as the Apple Pencil in other respects. I'm considering getting one as an alternative to my Apple Pencil. Nice feel to it and very similar to the Adonit Dash 3 that I use on my iPad Mini 4.

For anyone looking for an Apple Pencil-like stylus for their iPad (that supports the Logitech Crayon) I recommend giving the Adonit Note a try.

lostom

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2010
Late to the party here, I just got a Note-M delivered today, so far it's absolutely unusable.
It writes before it touches the screen, I can't find any solutions, (tried the above) I've emailed their support, so I'll see what happens.

iPad Pro 12.9 2020

wmadan

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2013
I have the Adonit Note+ stylus. It is charged using USB C and it does have pressure sensitivity in certain apps (Noteshelf is one). I find it so much better than the Apple Pencil from an ergonomic standpoint and it works very well on my iPad Mini 5.

lostom

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2010
Late to the party here, I just got a Note-M delivered today, so far it's absolutely unusable.
It writes before it touches the screen, I can't find any solutions, (tried the above) I've emailed their support, so I'll see what happens.

iPad Pro 12.9 2020

Support won’t much help to me, they’re closed for a week, due to holidays. ?

Otto007

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2021
Update: I had to Reset Network Settings a second time yesterday, which saddened me because I had hoped the fix would stick. We'll see how it does from here.

When it works, it's great! I took a lot of notes this morning using the Adonit Note and Notability app. Loved it.
I have the same issue of ink skipping. I'm using an ipad 8, via notes app and the adonit dash 3.
So far the Adonit technical support team can't find a solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.