Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
A few weeks ago, I bought a brand-new iPhone SE w/ 128 GB SSD and AppleCare direct from Apple. I also ditched Tracfone (which was swallowed up by Verizon) and migrated my iPhone and phone number to US Mobile. I am still settling in, having never owned an iPhone before. My sole past iOS experience was with an older iPad Mini running iOS 12.

I am generally pleased with my iPhone. Unlike my previous phone, a Lenovo-Motorola Moto G6 Play, this SE has comparatively excellent battery life (the G6 was abyssmal), no screen freezes, and snappy performance. The ultra-fast scrolling sometimes results in my overshooting something I want to look at, but I can live with a "problem" like that.

I created this thread to discuss other issues:

1: First issue I want to ask about is Apple's handling on multiple Mail accounts. I am responsible for the administration of several Google accounts and their addresses. I have found that relying on Apple Mail means that it automatically sets up the accounts for me. (Not surprised). One downside to this: these multiple accounts are not labeled explicitly. Some are identifiable as their e-mail address. A couple of these accounts, though, are simply labeled "Gmail", which is annoying. Is there a way to correct this? Thanks in advance.

2: I am not current on iOS 15 and have never used an iPhone before. Where is there a good place to learn how to get the most out of this iPhone and get current on iOS? One thing I want to do is organize all my apps into folders to minimize navigation to apps. I want to learn about how to do that.

3: I had quite a time getting my fingerprint ID / home button to work. Most of the time, it would not recognize my left thumb. I stopped using my thumb to wake the iPhone and started getting used to using my left index finger. Is there any way to improve this? I would like to get my iPhone to wake using at least two fingers of one hand and maybe a third from my right hand just for security and dexterity in various situations. Any suggestions?

mikedop

macrumors 603
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
A couple of these accounts, though, are simply labeled "Gmail", which is annoying. Is there a way to correct this? Thanks in advance.
Settings -> Mail -> Accounts -> Gmail -> Description. Whatever you change here will be what it calls itself in your mail app.

2: I am not current on iOS 15 and have never used an iPhone before. Where is there a good place to learn how to get the most out of this iPhone and get current on iOS? One thing I want to do is organize all my apps into folders to minimize navigation to apps. I want to learn about how to do that.
Honestly? probably YouTube. About a million videos out there titled something like "100 new features in iOS 13/14/15" and "50 things you didn't know your iPhone can do!" that cover all the niche features.

For creating folders, you just tap and hold on an app to enter edit mode and drag one app over top another. It'll put those two in a folder together. Do the same to add apps to the folder.

3: I had quite a time getting my fingerprint ID / home button to work. Most of the time, it would not recognize my left thumb. I stopped using my thumb to wake the iPhone and started getting used to using my left index finger. Is there any way to improve this? I would like to get my iPhone to wake using at least two fingers of one hand and maybe a third from my right hand just for security and dexterity in various situations. Any suggestions?
I'd say just make sure your sensor is clean, your finger is clean, and try to map it again. Make sure to use the edges of your finger when it asks you to. Should work. I think you can map up to 5 fingerprints with Touch ID? It's been a while since I messed with it, though.

Reactions: Wingsley

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
A few weeks ago, I bought a brand-new iPhone SE w/ 128 GB SSD and AppleCare direct from Apple. I also ditched Tracfone (which was swallowed up by Verizon) and migrated my iPhone and phone number to US Mobile. I am still settling in, having never owned an iPhone before. My sole past iOS experience was with an older iPad Mini running iOS 12.

I am generally pleased with my iPhone. Unlike my previous phone, a Lenovo-Motorola Moto G6 Play, this SE has comparatively excellent battery life (the G6 was abyssmal), no screen freezes, and snappy performance. The ultra-fast scrolling sometimes results in my overshooting something I want to look at, but I can live with a "problem" like that.

I created this thread to discuss other issues:

1: First issue I want to ask about is Apple's handling on multiple Mail accounts. I am responsible for the administration of several Google accounts and their addresses. I have found that relying on Apple Mail means that it automatically sets up the accounts for me. (Not surprised). One downside to this: these multiple accounts are not labeled explicitly. Some are identifiable as their e-mail address. A couple of these accounts, though, are simply labeled "Gmail", which is annoying. Is there a way to correct this? Thanks in advance.

Good morning Wingsley, yes - iPhones are different animals and there is a learning curve involved.

To your questions:

1. Google apps download and work very, very well on iPhones, so you can download Gmail. Some of us (myself included) think that Google apps work better than Apple apps on iPhones - but that’s a statement of taste, really. I use a plethora of Google on both my iPad and iPhone.

2. @mikedop (post 2) is right. Organizing apps on the screen can be cryptic, but it’s easily done and there are hundreds of sources - including youtube videos - that show how to create folders on your screen, etc. Upgrading to iOS 15 = Settings > General > Software Update and the phone will carry itself through the process.

3. Again, mikedop is correct.

The MacRumors website (click on Front Page above) is full of helpful articles, too. Enjoy your new SE!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.