Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
For some reason Safari 10 is not loading preview icons of websites for my favorites. Anyone else having this problem?

smith4925

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
For some reason Safari 10 is not loading preview icons of websites for my favorites. Anyone else having this problem?

I'm getting more than preview problems. Some sites I go to regularly are not loading at all. If I use any other browser they work fine?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Fav icons are gone in Safari 10. You can see them if you select the URL though.

Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 9.20.15 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 9.20.06 AM.png

Reactions: CoastalOR

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So where are favorites then? I use them a lot. Haven't upgraded to the new version of Safari yet, I always wait a while for posts just like these before I install.
If you click the View menu there is still an option there to show the Favorites bar up top, but that has nothing to do with the icons we are discussing here.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
If you click the View menu there is still an option there to show the Favorites bar up top, but that has nothing to do with the icons we are discussing here.
Thanks for clarifying that for me. Sorry to see that feature go as I use it all the time, really, many many times a day. Having to have the favorites bar displayed all the time just adds clutter, IMHO.
[doublepost=1474577293][/doublepost]
Why did they remove such a valuable feature? What's so good about Safari 10 anyways? Maybe I should not have upgraded.
I suppose I will install it, just because. Looking over what it has in it, I don't see much that would be better than 9.1.3, especially since my MBP cannot upgrade to Sierra. I suppose the main reason, for my situation, would be some sort of increased security. But they don't talk much about that aspect. 10.0 might not be all that much different than 9.1.3, who knows.

interstella

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2013
Suffolk, England
Why did they remove such a valuable feature? What's so good about Safari 10 anyways? Maybe I should not have upgraded.

What's so good about Safari 10? At long, long last I can set a zoom level for a website and Safari remembers it. Finally, I don't have to use "cmd+++" on every single web page every time I use it.

The missing icons are a bit baffling...no doubt they will return when Apple realises they're missing!

Reactions: iubhounds

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Thanks for clarifying that for me. Sorry to see that feature go as I use it all the time, really, many many times a day. Having to have the favorites bar displayed all the time just adds clutter, IMHO.
[doublepost=1474577293][/doublepost]
I suppose I will install it, just because. Looking over what it has in it, I don't see much that would be better than 9.1.3, especially since my MBP cannot upgrade to Sierra. I suppose the main reason, for my situation, would be some sort of increased security. But they don't talk much about that aspect. 10.0 might not be all that much different than 9.1.3, who knows.

It is not. I do not even know what changed.

Proginoskes

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2014
Tempe, AZ
I'm having issues of another kind. Every now and then, I use the "Show Emoji & Symbols" app to insert characters like ⌘ into answer boxes (like this one). After I close the app and go to another page, the app pops up again. Several times.

(Of course, I have issues with the SE&S app itself ... It should not take up the whole screen, so that you can't see whether the character has been inserted, and if you have to type another symbol somewhere else, you have to start it up again. These issues have been around for a long time. I hate to say it, but They-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named's "Character Viewer" is much better than SE&S.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.