Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jp_noli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2017
I have these family pictures taken on an old digital camera. The time on the camera was wrong at the moments of capture. For example, if the pictures were taken on June 11, 2012, but the time on the camera said Jan 1, 2009, then the picture will be time stamped as Jan 1, 2009. After importing the picture into Photos, I changed the time stamp, using the Image -> Adjust Date and Time Function, to be Jun 11, 2012. After this, the picture show up in the right moment on the timeline (2012), and it's great. If I export the photo save on my hard drive, this "altered" time stamp will hold true. I know this because if I import the same picture back into Photos for whatever reason or someone does it on their computer when I send them the picture, then it will appear at the proper time in the timeline and not hold the "wrong" time that the camera originally gave it. This was exactly what I expected and it makes me happy. However, this does not work with movies. If a movie file was given the wrong time originally by the camera, I would import it to Photos, change the date to the time the movie was actually taken, and then the movie will appear in the proper spot, just like with the pictures. When I export the movie to save it on a hard drive, if I use the subfolder, by memories, function, it will even be filed into the correct folder using the date that I imported. However, if anyone takes that same exported video and imports it back into Photos or other photo software, it will again display the improper date that the camera originally gave it. This happens when I export the unmodified original (obviously) but also when I chose to "export one video." Any ideas? Is this just a bug? It is really bothering me. I know that at some point I'm going to want to import the videos into Photos again, and it would be a waste of work if the time stamps I manually put in are over-written.

Thank you!

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
There are multie dates and times set in the EXIF and IPTC meta data on the file. Seems the movies are using one that is not updated with your changes. I will be honest and say I havent paid too much attention to them in the past but there are various ones in there. Some are specific to videos, some photos. Sorry I cant tell you the specific one that needs edited.

Maybe look at something like exiftools to see if you can over ride them prior to import.

Jan 1 2009 is the factory default date that a lot of devices are reset to when they experience s reset or complete loss of power. If it is an old camera, maybe the internal clock battery has died.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.