Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hobbs16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Hi guys,

My iMac G5 was finally delivered yesterday, and I’m having some rather odd problems getting it to work with my Speedtouch USB modem.

The modem works fine on my G4 tower, and both systems are running Panther. Both times I installed using the disc packaged with the modem and the instructions therein. I’m trying to use the same account on the same ISP. Basically I can't understand why this seemingly identical setup wouldn't work on the G5, unless there's some detail I'm missing that you guys may hopefully be able to fill me in on?

Other details/possible clues are the following:
• On Internet Connect, the G5 doesn’t have an icon along the top for the Speedtouch USB modem –*it just has Internal Modem and Bluetooth. The G4 has an icon for Speedtouch along with these.
• However, the Speedtouch modem does show up on USB in System Profiler.
• In the Speedtouch Modem installation instructions it says that the Mac will come up with a window saying that its recognised a new modem after opening Network in System Preferences – it doesn’t do this.

Would transferring my Network settings from the G4 to the G5 via firewire solve this do you think? Any other suggestions on what the problem may be? I would be really grateful of any help!

Thanks in advance,

Hobbs16.

H&Kie

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2004
Did you install a driver update? I got a Speedtouch 330 myself and without update (http://www.speedtouch.com/supuser.htm) it wasn't recognised by my former eMac, nor by my new iMac - :cool: -

After installing the original driver from the modem, I need to install the update. After this everything works fine.. It might help you to try this. Good luck!

hobbs16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Thanks for the reply H&Kie!

No, I didn't do that. Should have thought of it! Will try it tonight.

Was the iMac you mentioned a G5?

Thanks again,

Hobbs16.

hobbs16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Hi again,

I downloaded the update but unfortunately am still having no joy. All of the bullet-pointed ailments I described last time have been sorted out but when I try to connect Internet Connect comes up with an error message saying there's a error with the modem. I know that this isn't true as I'm using it on my G4 as I write this!

Could this be because they need to do a driver for 10.3.5? Does anyone have any suggestions bar going for an ethernet modem?

Again, thanks for any help anyone can give me!

hobbs16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Hello,

Just in case anyone reading in future has similar problems, I sorted this out by downloading the driver on the UK site rather than the US one. Everything's working fine now.

Thanks,

Hobbs16.

eddysparks@mada

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2004
same problem

although i downloaded the version 3.01 from uk site my iMac G5 does not seem to recognise that the modem is connected, i do all that is sid in the instructions but it still flashes red usb light. it works fine on my Powerbook g4 12" .....

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
But the PowerMac G4 with FW800, and all the G5s use a new PCI-to-USB2.0 capable controller chip.

Probably something that is causing problems with the USB2 chips that wasn't there in the original USB implementation.

The driver could be looking in the old location for USB devices, a location that no longer exists with the move to the PCI bus -- aka, time for these people to update their USB drivers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.