Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
whenever i try and open iSync, after 3 biunces the "this application has failed to open report reopen quit" dialog box comes up, I have tried deleting the .app and then reinstalling,but it still won't work. Has anyone got any ideas?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Find the isync plist files (I have 3 of them on my computer) and move them to the desktop. Try and launch the program again.

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
rdowns said:
Find the isync plist files (I have 3 of them on my computer) and move them to the desktop. Try and launch the program again.

I can only find com.apple.isync.plist

tried moving it to the desktop but it still won't open, though now it gives no error messgae

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
oh nad also i haev isync 1.5 installed and it won't let me install isync 2.1 because it says i have a more up to date version already installed

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
moved it to the desktop, it won't launch, no application bouncing or anything
moved the .app to the desktop - same problem
tried installing 2.1 - says there is a newer versino already installed

Is there any uninstall software for macs? I was thinking if i can uninstall the entire program (rather than just deleting the .app) it might let me reinstall.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Why don't you Spotlight iSync and see what files come up.

You should find an iSync admin archive, which may be worth trashing/moving.

In fact, if it were me, I'd trash anything thet remotely looked iSyncish, but then again I have regretted that apparoach before. :eek:

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
trashed everything , it the let me install it again, but it still won't work, - I give up, i shall look for an isync replacement or just reinstall osx :mad: :(

Thanks for the help though, much appreciated

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
mcmadhatter said:
trashed everything , it the let me install it again, but it still won't work, - I give up, i shall look for an isync replacement or just reinstall osx :mad: :(

Thanks for the help though, much appreciated

How much of a pain in the ass is reinstalling? For me, that is a three-day procedure. Your mileage may vary, and it might even be a good solution.

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
iGary said:
How much of a pain in the ass is reinstalling? For me, that is a three-day procedure. Your mileage may vary, and it might even be a good solution.

Well, it will take tonight to backup the entire HDD to my PC, then 30mins install of osx, 3hours of patches downloads, and then another 2 hours to installt the old software (i have a copy of everything I ever downloaded to install so at least i don't have to download all those again.) i think I might do it this weekend if i get bored.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I have the same issue. I've been hoping that the Tiger update launched today would fix it, but it hasn't.

I'm not sure how this is related, but I've found info on the net that says that installing the Flip4mac wmv player breaks iSync. How it messes with a completely unrelated application I don't know .. but uninstalling Flip4mac might yield a solution.

ChuckyJ

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2007
a fix

I was having the same prob. I just put the folder SyncServices on the desktop and relaunched iSync and it solved the problem. Now iSync works again and also my .Mac syncing. Library/Application Support/SyncServices.

juancruz

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2008
iSync crashes

whenever i try and open iSync, after 3 biunces the "this application has failed to open report reopen quit" dialog box comes up, I have tried deleting the .app and then reinstalling,but it still won't work. Has anyone got any ideas?

Hi! I tried moving .plist files to desktop, moving SyncServices folder, and many others things...at the end, I tried duplicating iSync.app (right click on iSync.app and select "Duplicate" and it creates iSync copy.app) and it worked!!!

I'm 99% sure that the problem began the day I installed Flip4Mac on my MacBook. Thanks Craig for your help!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.