Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
mactastic said:
My wife and I are having our first kid, due Nov. 1st

Many congrats and with a birthday date like that, they can only turn out to be a genuinely well-rounded, witty, sophisticated, precocious and yet humanely-gifted genius. Good-looking too. ;)

UKnjb

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2005
London, UK
Very many congratulations!!! :D The best thing to happen to anybody - I have two daughters to prove it. Enjoy everything. Great news and here's to you and your wife. Ummmm - posting the ultrasound scan?

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Congrats, and I can tip you off now - - when you've been through watching your wife give birth, you'll let her name him whatever she likes. :D

*speaks from personal experience, having announced her son's name ca. 30 seconds after he was born, with no protests from anyone*

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Congratulations. Do a Paltrow and call him Apple :)

What do you mean, it's a girl's name?

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
Welcome to the begining of YOUR life.

Here are my thoughts:

-Dont tell anyone what you are going to name him because everyone will have an opinion.
-Register online for baby gifts that will actually be usefull (bottles, Washcloths, diapers...) Otherwise you are going to end up with 250 "Cute little outfits" that your son will never wear or puke on.
-It is going to change your life like you never thought possible.
-Dont worry about planning too much because you will NEVER be ready.
-Its really hard for about the first three months then things will start to "normalize".
-I hope you really like cartoons.
-You have never really experienced "Love" until he will be born.
-In time, you will be completely desensitized to poop, boogers, farts and vomit.
-Dont place anything of personal value within the 18" reach of your son
-Be sure to buckle your seatbelt and keep your hands inside the car....

More updates to come...

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
Congratulations!

May I also add my advice of looking for bargains on kids toys/clothes on eBay and such. The older sister has saved a bundle buying a bunch of nice used toys from local eBay sellers in her area. She got one of those Little Tikes kitchens (with sink, microwave, dishwasher, fridge, cabinets, dishes, AND cordless phone) for like $20....

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
Congratulations! As others have mentioned the mini or the nano, my suggestion would be a nano with his name on the back (obviously he couldn't really use it now, but it would be good memorabilia.) Put it on a shelf in his room :pP

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2004
congradulations, get ready for the most fun, scary, hard, loving time ofyour life.

Black&Tan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2004
Congrats!

Treat yourself while you can. Get any long term projects done now! Protect all the electronic gear before the little one comes. Start working on the baby's room, it will take forever. Also, don't put off any big purchases, you won't have the money/time later.

You won't have much free time until he's almost 2. Realize and accept this now. Everything will be much easier....

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Thanks for all the encouraging posts you guys.... The kid's room is under way, I'm starting work on a changing table this weekend (the only piece of furniture my wife will let me make before the kid comes, for some reason she thinks I won't have enough time ;) ) which will keep me busy for now.

The name is about half-decided, and it's not Steve, although it does start with an 'S'.

I'll definitely be supplying the kid with Apple products, and hopefully he'll end up a Mac-head too. I wonder what kind of chip his first Mac will have, and how small iPods will be when he's old enough to care about music... (Does that make me a geek to wonder that?? :D )

Anyway, thanks again, and I will definitely revive this thread when the time comes!

The Mad Kiwi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
In Hell
Congratulations, kids are so awesome, my first one is now 15 months walking around saying her first words. You can't really imagine how absolutely fantastic your life is about to become.

freeny said:
-You have never really experienced "Love" until he will be born.

So So So So true, I couldn't have put it better myself.

Everyone has some advise on kids so here's mine.

Watch out for the explosive poo in the first 2 or three months, it can fly out and if you're standing in the firing line it can get very very ugly.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
mactastic said:
I still can't fathom being looked at as a responsible grown-up by someone...
Well, that's one person at least! ;)

Seriously...congratulations! You are gonna have so much fun with this kid. Fatherhood is, to quote an old Peace Corps commercial, the toughest job you'll ever love.

I don't know what kind of advice I have for you, except to be sure not to use too much thermal paste. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.