Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you feel about Apple's handling of features for the iPhone and OSX?

• I think its great. I want my OSX to be more simplified like iOS and I like how my iPhone is.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • I don't like it. I wish my iPhone would get more features from OSX instead.

Votes: 97 42.0%

• Total voters

Delighted

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2012
You'd think Apple would make an effort to port features from OSX to the iPhone, such as a filesystem, default program selection, Messaging that supports multiple protocols, etc but instead, we see OSX inherit the same features on iPhone that frankly, don't suit everybody's needs.

Anybody else get this sick feeling in their stomach when their computer is acting more like their phone and their phone barely gets features from their desktop counterpart?

The possible reason that iOS is being ported over to OSX is because of the simplicity of iOS. Apple probably feels like they can bring these features onto the desktop for a more simplistic experience. While, OSX may have some neat features, these features are more complex and would be confusing/battery-draining(I'm sure there are many more reasons) to use on a mobile device.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
:confused: File system is still very much accessible in Lion via the Finder... :confused:

I meant mountain lion. Apologies.

----------

The possible reason that iOS is being ported over to OSX is because of the simplicity of iOS. Apple probably feels like they can bring these features onto the desktop for a more simplistic experience.

This, and to close things down even more. They seem to love that these days. JMO.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Well, the primary counter-example was the lack of a file system moving from OS X to iOS, so I don't think the original complaint was about features unique to OS X. :)

I just don't see a reason to remove it. It's all about fewer choices, at the end of the day. People who didn't use finder won;t miss it, sure. But the people who did, I think will. Unless they are redesigning how the OS works from the ground up (which doesn't seem to be the case), what's wrong with giving users that choice. We've had it since what, '84?

And again, I see where you are coming from now, I just didn't before. :)

----------

This thread hasn't died yet? Sheesh.

I'm making sure it stays alive. ;)

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
The OS X is already advanced enough, and simplifying methods is absolutely perfect.
It'd be nice for iOS to get a few features, (I'd rather them on the iPad instead of the small real estate on the iPhone) but this merging of the OS's is fantastic!

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
I just don't see a reason to remove it. It's all about fewer choices, at the end of the day. People who didn't use finder won;t miss it, sure. But the people who did, I think will. Unless they are redesigning how the OS works from the ground up (which doesn't seem to be the case), what's wrong with giving users that choice. We've had it since what, '84?

----------

I'm making sure it stays alive. ;)

Why would you want it alive bro? :p

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Why would you want it alive bro? :p

Why not?

----------

The OS X is already advanced enough, and simplifying methods is absolutely perfect.
It'd be nice for iOS to get a few features, (I'd rather them on the iPad instead of the small real estate on the iPhone) but this merging of the OS's is fantastic!

The way I see it, there is simplifying, and there is oversimplifying. It seems like everything that was done to mountain lion could have still been done with finder intact. It's certainly possible that Apple has more up their sleeves with subsequent OS releases that I just don't see yet. If that's the case, I will rescind my statements when the time comes. As of now, I feel like Apple assumes I, their user, am dumb. Honestly, I feel that way with iOS too, but I have jailbreak for that. ;)

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
The way I see it, there is simplifying, and there is oversimplifying. It seems like everything that was done to mountain lion could have still been done with finder intact. It's certainly possible that Apple has more up their sleeves with subsequent OS releases that I just don't see yet. If that's the case, I will rescind my statements when the time comes. As of now, I feel like Apple assumes I, their user, am dumb. Honestly, I feel that way with iOS too, but I have jailbreak for that. ;)

You keep implying that Finder is not intact in ML. What do you mean by that?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Which, again, is completely different than what we are discussing. No one is arguing that the App Store isn't important to Apple. Of course, it is. I just think it is ridiculous to argue that Apple is making feature decision to protect App store profits.

Somewhere at Apple there is one guy whose sole responsibility is to run the App Store. And he is told by Tim Cook to run the App Store in a way that is most beneficial to Apple. What is most beneficial to Apple? To have the highest number of quality apps at the lowest possible price, so that as many people as possible by iPhones, iPads and Macs. The App Store profit, by generous estimates, is less than two percent of the hardware profit, but the influence on hardware sales is infinitely much higher.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
I haven't, and I don't even know what you mean when you say that.
Innocence is bliss for the average user. - I'm coping fine.

I appreciate your honesty. Well if you did know what unix/linux is capable of you would notice just how much closed or should I say locked down OSX is.

It is very limited and prevents people from customising it to their liking, it is basically you take what is decided FOR YOU, unfortunelaty. There is a lot more to offer...

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I take it you've never dealt with other unix/linux systems?

I appreciate your honesty. Well if you did know what unix/linux is capable of you would notice just how much closed or should I say locked down OSX is.

It is very limited and prevents people from customising it to their liking, it is basically you take what is decided FOR YOU, unfortunelaty. There is a lot more to offer...

What does Linux have to do with anything? OS X is not Linux. Linux is not Unix

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009

That probably suits most people just fine though, which is kinda the point why Apple are so successful.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
What does Linux have to do with anything? OS X is not Linux. Linux is not Unix

lol Well done captain obvious, you just restated something that's been said so many times. Please tell me what can 1 do that the otheris not capable of? :D

That probably suits most people just fine though, which is kinda the point why Apple are so successful.

True, it just feels like a dictatorship that is all...and is going toward that way even more.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
lol Well done captain obvious, you just restated something that's been said so many times. Please tell me what can 1 do that the otheris not capable of? :D

The reason it is stated so many times is that people keep getting it wrong. :)

True, it just feels like a dictatorship that is all...and is going toward that way even more.

Kinda weird to pay someone to make decisions for you and then call them a dictator. :D

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009

I could state the bleeding obvious and say, don't buy if you don't like the product. You can't please everyone all of the time. Apple are simply trying to please as many people as possible, which will always mean some people won't be happy.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
I could state the bleeding obvious and say, don't buy if you don't like the product. You can't please everyone all of the time. Apple are simply trying to please as many people as possible, which will always mean some people won't be happy.

Ok I think i'll get flamed big time for that so let me attempt to clear it up.

The reason why I started talking about Linux/Unix/FreeBSD is because a fellow member stated that OSX is advanced enough.

I know that there is A LOT MORE pending and would like to see it put into practise as oppose to waiting for more updates and gradually release products when we should already have these features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.