Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
I just received and setup my iPad Air 2 (how about iAir2?) and I haven't found anything wrong with it just yet. But don't worry I'm just getting started and I'm expecting positive results in the near future.

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
It doesn't have a laser to shave down a pencil by 15% or whatever it was. False advertising! Or maybe that was an app? I'll go looking for it.

You missed the bigger point. Which size pencil was that demonstration based on? Because if it was based on an exceptionally thick pencil, like the one on the left, my iPad Air 2 is going straight back to the Apple Store.
2rgc2tl.jpg

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
I had the warm screen issue, (yellow tint) with last years Air and iPhone, now my iPhone 6+ has a cold screen and slightly less contrast and now I kinda like the warmer screen:eek: LOLOL. I got use to it and liked the warmer screen so I figure the same for this if it's a cold screen.:D just hope both iphone/ipad are the same at least.

So really there is just no pleasing me. LOL

Unless they put in a setting to change the white balance or even contrast, and no not the white point setting they put in, that really doesn't change the warm vs cool screen issues people always seem to have.

gchiu

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
I'm seeing a slight ripple on the screen when I slightly press down on certain areas. It was the first thing I saw when I turned it on in the car.. Maybe it's because it's a thinner screen? I didn't get to see any displays so I can't test it out on others. I saw this happen on my 5s and apple replaced it for me..

jmxp69

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
Had to laugh when I saw this thread. Great job OP. I know it's wishful thinking to contain common gripes, but you get an A for effort.

this is the one to get if you want a future proof ipad.

Sorry, there is just no such thing. Future resistant or future delayed perhaps. Future proof--nope.

----------

I just received and setup my iPad Air 2 (how about iAir2?) and I haven't found anything wrong with it just yet. But don't worry I'm just getting started and I'm expecting positive results in the near future.

I have every confidence you will find something. Don't forget to check for dust.

Just the other day, my youngest daughter (10) was shopping Amazon for a phone case for her new IP5 (hand me down from my upgrade). She read a review that went something like this: "I really liked this case, Amazon got it to me quickly; but I was really disappointed it didn't fit my 5c" The description was clearly for an IP5 phone. My daughter asked, "why is that review relevant?" I said, "Welcome to the Internet sweetheart!"

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I can't believe there is no "The iPad Air bends when I shove it down my pants and go breakdancing" option.

As for Mossberg, I think he's pissed there was no split screen multitasking. I think that will come in iOS 9. Sure this thing is incredibly fast, but someone like him doesn't give a crap. He wants more innovation in letting the tablet replace your laptop. Being faster is only a part of that equation. I don't blame him as I'd like to see Apple do more to bring the iPad into the realm of serious productivity.

The thing is that this thing benchmarks similar to a 2011 MacBook Air. Now we just need the software to catch up. 2GB of RAM is probably just enough to do some legit image editing. Just don't expect to work with multiple images at a time. We can also now have high-resolution drawing canvases. Just don't expect to be able to use a ton of layers. It's still somewhat restricted compared to something like the MBA which ships with 4GB of RAM standard and has disk caching to a fast SSD, but it will help a lot in everyday tasks like Safari which was honestly my biggest complaint. The iPad is catching up much faster to the MacBooks than the MacBooks can advance on their own, which is pretty crazy to think about. I'm really starting to believe that these low-powered ARM chips with a scalable number of cores could end up making their way into the Mac line. Pop a hex-core A9X into a MBA and suddenly the multicore is benching similar to the first quad-core i7s put in the 2011 15" MacBook Pro, which is way faster than any current MBA, and probably with a lower TDP and battery draw. I really wonder if that fanless MBA with retina display rumor is true, but uses an ARM chip.

I dunno about this. To me, the iPad is perfect for its intended use which IMO is some light productivity and creation mixed with a fantastic way to consume and have fun. You get all of this in a very light, portable and easy to use package that's built very well.

What I'm saying is: why can't our laptops just be laptops and tablets be tablets? Why do they have to merge? Why can't we have separate devices that excel at ONE thing versus trying shove everything into one chassis?

Not what I want.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
I dunno about this. To me, the iPad is perfect for its intended use which IMO is some light productivity and creation mixed with a fantastic way to consume and have fun. You get all of this in a very light, portable and easy to use package that's built very well.

What I'm saying is: why can't our laptops just be laptops and tablets be tablets? Why do they have to merge? Why can't we have separate devices that excel at ONE thing versus trying shove everything into one chassis?

Not what I want.

I completely agree.

If you need a notebook, you get a notebook. If you want a tablet, you get a tablet. Trying to combine the two devices into one results in something that isn't quite as good as either.

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014

Not what I want.
Yeah I don't think tablets are meant to be an OS X replacement. Not for me at least.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

Not what I want.

That's fine. But considering how quickly I was able to blow through rating my catalog in Lightroom and make quick, easy edits with my fingers, I'm really looking forward to the future of the platform. It's actually faster dragging the bars around with my fingers to make adjustments. I can't wait until it becomes more advanced and I can use adjustment brushes and other advanced edits. Drawing with pressure sensitive stylus is also really fun on the iPad, especially the new ones that have small nibs. I can't just kick back in my backyard hammock with a MacBook and Wacom and make a painting. This platform is the future of content creation. My kids and grandkids are going to wonder why in the world we did all of our creative work cramped in an office staring at a desktop. When inspiration hits, just pull it out and make something amazing. People used to wonder why you would even want to use a computer to make anything. The times, they are a changin! The hardware is quickly catching up, now we just need the software to get there. I think it will. There is just something so natural about directly manipulating things with your hands. As designers we need to make the experience completely natural for the user, but also powerful and capable. Give it time.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX

Not what I want.

Sorry, convergence will come. MS is on the front lines. Yes, the Surface Pro might not be there quite yet but it does a pretty good job. And in reality it's not the hardware on the Surface holding it back. It's the legacy software. And that software will be updated eventually. It's just that we're on the very cusp of the change.

I predict that 5 years from now you will see full-blown OSs available on all tablets. There might still be an option for a scaled down OS but I doubt it. Too much overhead to maintain I suspect.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Well mine has a nice fat band of pink across the bottom of the screen. The more I look at it, the worse it looks. I think it's going back.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I didn't see a 'one pixel is bad' option.
Can someone start a 'How many times did you return your iPad poll?

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
I predict that 5 years from now you will see full-blown OSs available on all tablets. There might still be an option for a scaled down OS but I doubt it. Too much overhead to maintain I suspect.

You'll see iOS continue to advance toward having the functionality of a Mac, but I don't ever see an iPad running Mac OS X, with its drop down menus, floating windows, and so on.

bwsteg

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2012
Queens NY
I didn't see a 'one pixel is bad' option.
Can someone start a 'How many times did you return your iPad poll?

My first iPad Air 2 came damaged on the corner where the camera lens is..Returned it and Apple Corporate gave me a $45 discount on the new order. Went to pick up new iPad Air 2, and now I see a dead pixel...

Now this one has to go back....

Its been a frustrating day...

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
It's time to play everyone's favorite game now the Ipad Air 2 is released and people are receiving them. It's a annual event that occurs every time a new iPad is released to the market. The winner is the person who exchanges the most iPad's to get that 'perfect' device. The prize is the perfect device.

Here's the rules:

1) You need to own an iPad Air 2
2) You need to have a discerning eye for detail
3) You need to believe their is a perfect iPad Air 2 out there somewhere
4) You need to spend countless hours reading forums about iPad issues
It's to perfect for my taste!

TheHotHit

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2014
Mine arrived today. It feels very snappy compared to the iPad 4. My only niggle is with the Touch ID/Home button. There appears to be a rough/sharp ring around it. It's almost as if the button is part of a module that isn't flush with the bezel. A friend has exactly the same problem on his.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
It only has 2GB ram and the Surface has 4GB ram. Apple is playing catch up and not innovating fast enough. I want to use my iPad as a laptop replacement.

Surface = $799 for p3, 128g ssd and 4g ram. So ipad is really at another price point entirely. Ipad as a laptop? lol.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
You'll see iOS continue to advance toward having the functionality of a Mac, but I don't ever see an iPad running Mac OS X, with its drop down menus, floating windows, and so on.

Over 10 years ago I had an HP 1100 tablet (actually had a 1000 and then the 1100). They ran Windows XP. Now they had a stylus and Wacom digitizer but OS and all the software (Office, etc) was to same thing you saw on any desktop. Those tablets, combined with OneNote saved me thousands of hours just in handwriting meeting notes and auto convert to text.

My point? There is no reason you can't use drop-downs, and especially floating windows on a tablet. Some may want a stylus for accuracy but it won't be necessary.

You need to use your imagination more.

insoc

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
Biggest disappointing thing is that you can't still hold it with one hand for a long time. It is not yet an iPad Mini substitute. Better find out Android options if you want a bigger screen than the Mini...

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
First one went back.
Front glass had a small nick/scratch.
Replacement seems ok so far.

I do not see any pink screen issue.
But smudges seem far more prominent than before....could this be due to the new anti re-reflective coating?

BTW
(What is book spine shadow?)

Also- Much faster than the iPad 3.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Apple trying to make the iPad all things to all people lost sight of the fact that people want tablets to be tablets and phones to be phones and computers to be computers. iPads have too much ram and are trying to do too much. Tim Cook is tarnishing everything Steve Jobs created in favor of profits over making good products that just work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.