Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
I've recently upgraded my powerbook's RAM to 1.25, I ordered from datamem from MR's suggestions and bought the Samsung original gig stick. After installing it, I've noticed that my pb is hotter than usual. Granted this thing always seems to be hot, but it now reaches the 'too hot' zone a lot more often and quicker too. I use my pb mostly on a desk... I do live in southern California where the temp is unforgivable, but a window is always open (or if I can afford it, AC is blasting.)

I have noticed that the fan runs frequently (blames Tiger) but that does not help. Every so often, if the pb is not sitting flat on my desk, it's on my lap. And today, it got so hot that my skin turned bright red and stung for about half an hour. :(

Is it the RAM? I'm not too computer savy but I thought having more memory would allow the pb to do run smoother and the fan being on would cool it down... How hot is too hot? temperature wise, in Fahrenheit, where should my pb be at?

On a side note, I only run a few applications at a time and they're not very heavy, at least I don't think. My standard applications running at the same time is firefox or safari, mail, and itunes. Why is it that when I check the memory usage, with just those 3 programs opened my active memory usages is at around 700 mb? is that normal?

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
MoonCow said:
how do you check how hot it is?

first you go, "ouch, that burns" and then look at the istat widget under temps and wonder if it's normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.