Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you like iTunes 11?

• I Love It :)

Votes: 281 68.4%
  • I Hate It! >:(

Votes: 88 21.4%
  • I havent upgraded yet

Votes: 41 10.0%
  • My computer doesn't support iTunes 11

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thewalshter

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
England
ITunes 11

Like Malnar said earlier ITunes 11 is a dumbed down version, for music players rather than power users.Not ideal as Apple built it's reputation on music and video editing.

davydavy

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2011
Like Malnar said earlier ITunes 11 is a dumbed down version, for music players rather than power users.Not ideal as Apple built it's reputation on music and video editing.

That's it exactly - it's better as a music player, but has gone a long way backwards as a music library manager. It looks a bit iPad-ish, so I guess Apple is looking at making all versions look and act the same way.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
It's fuc*ing slow on my 2009 27" iMac!!! Seriously, I can barely navigate through the results of a search for 20 seconds until everything is cached.
Good thing I just ordered a new imac :D

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
It's fuc*ing slow on my 2009 27" iMac!!! Seriously, I can barely navigate through the results of a search for 20 seconds until everything is cached.
Good thing I just ordered a new imac :D

That's surprising. Do you have an i7 or i5? What version of OS X? Itunes 11 runs faster on my 2009 27" i7 than version 10. Esp. noticeable is faster scrolling through long lists. In fact, it runs very well on my 2009 Mac mini which only has a core 2 duo cpu. Maybe you can try a fresh OS install.

Stevesmacmini

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
iTunes 11 #

Sorry I'm totally new to Mac and iTunes. When I had iTunes on my pc none of my home movies of my kids were ever in iTunes now on my Mac mini with the updated iTunes they are all there. Am I missing a box to check /uncheck to remove them form all of my other movies?
:apple:

Spendrup

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2011
I admit I am still not convinced at all by the new iTunes 11...it clearly slower my iMac although super loaded or maybe because I use a huge external HD of 6T WD Thunderbolt...its even becoming a problem....
Now..since I update it, I keep having a popup whether on Music or recently added mentioning "up next: would you like to delete the xxx tracks added..." (Listen/Cancel/Delete) I mean I just want to listen to my music and not, each time, click on "Listen"!
Anyone knows how I can neutralize this popup?
Many thanks in advance:)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
So many haters in this poll.... XD

So many bugs in iTunes 11...

I think I reported six so far. Very, very obvious bugs that should never have happened. The one they fixed so far is that the iTunes Feedback website didn't allow specifying the iTunes 11.0 version (it still doesn't allow reporting bugs against 10.7, only 10.6.3)

An example of a bug that shouldn't have happened: When the "Sidebar" is shown and you pick on a play list, "Column browser" cannot be turned on or off. You have to turn off the Sidebar first, then change the Column browser, then turn the Sidebar on again. That's basic UI functionality not working.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
11 has permanently altered my perception of apple. I hate apple now, plain and simple. The 11 debacle has cost me many hours of trying to revert back without bricking my OS and computer.

Even now, a lot of the files I spent many hours renaming and customizing are re-listed in their raw form and I have to go back and rename them all over again.

If you have 100 songs, all of the same bitrate, and don't need to search for songs, 11 will be great. Otherwise....

Yeah, every time I think of 11, I feel hate, strong hate, towards apple. This feeling has not diminished with a night's sleep.

----------

From a distance, it looks graphically polished. But I find it to be quite inconsistent at times.
Here's an example: in the mini player, hover over and press the arrow icon, then in the "Add to" option, I think the arrow should be moved a few pixels to the left, and the hover color is also ugly. (Same for the main menu color). I know I'm nitpicking but it's just these things one wouldn't except from Apple..

The mini player is an abject disaster. There's no way to characterize it other than as stupid.

That right there is a deal breaker.

The search function is an appalling joke as well. Hate this POS.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Why did they get rid of album art when hovering over a song in "songs" view?

Awful awful awful

varunsanthanam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
California
11 has permanently altered my perception of apple. I hate apple now, plain and simple. The 11 debacle has cost me many hours of trying to revert back without bricking my OS and computer.

Even now, a lot of the files I spent many hours renaming and customizing are re-listed in their raw form and I have to go back and rename them all over again.

If you have 100 songs, all of the same bitrate, and don't need to search for songs, 11 will be great. Otherwise....

Yeah, every time I think of 11, I feel hate, strong hate, towards apple. This feeling has not diminished with a night's sleep.

----------

The mini player is an abject disaster. There's no way to characterize it other than as stupid.

That right there is a deal breaker.

The search function is an appalling joke as well. Hate this POS.

Odd that your name is Mackandproud...

I'm sorry iTunes 11 got you so mad! This level of rage is kind of ridiculous. I get than angry when I think of the way the Tea Party views gay people, not iTunes 11

Anyway, iTunes 11 was designed to appeal to the masses. As evidenced my my poll, the masses seemed to like it. I'm sorry that your music needs don't match those of the average consumer! If you are looking for power software, I don't iTunes is the program it used to be. That doesn't make it not great though!

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Odd that your name is Mackandproud...

I'm sorry iTunes 11 got you so mad! This level of rage is kind of ridiculous. I get than angry when I think of the way the Tea Party views gay people, not iTunes 11

Anyway, iTunes 11 was designed to appeal to the masses. As evidenced my my poll, the masses seemed to like it. I'm sorry that your music needs don't match those of the average consumer! If you are looking for power software, I don't iTunes is the program it used to be. That doesn't make it not great though!

I represent and respect the TRUE mac ideal, which is intuitive interfaces, easy to use software and generally low maintenance, fun, easy to use hardware and software.

11 is a complete failure in that regard, and therefore not in the spirit of macintosh. I still use 10.6, which works well for me, itunes 10 and other software which works.

The 'masses' aren't represented by your poll at all. A 40% dissatisfaction rating is completely embarrassing, even if it did. If you can't figure that out, then may god help you. Apple doesn't need apple apologists. Do you wear a skirt and shake your pom poms at football games, too?

besides, mac/k has multiple meanings.

IzzyJG99

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Ran into an issue with iTunes 11. I posted a thread about it. Needless to say when setting up an iOS device in iTunes 11, if you want to sync wirelessly....you run into issues with the firewall and security in iTunes/OS X. Keeps asking me each time I open iTunes if I want to "allow" or "deny" incoming connections to iTunes. If I turn off the iOS devices or turn off the sync over Wi-Fi...the problem doesn't happen. No matter what I did with the firewall settings it didn't resolve the issue.

I didn't have this problem when I had already establish my iOS devices in iTunes 10.6.3. It only occurred when I reformatted (New HD) and set up my iOS devices in iTunes 11. It is a small bug, but it's annoying and shouldn't happen especially with how they've "redesigned and repaired" much of iTunes's glitches.

So today I wiped my iMac and went back to 10.7 (Some software needs setup in .7 and not .8) then to 10.8.2. (A Saved download, with iTunes 10.6.3 in it and not 11) and re-downloadead and re-encoded my entire library since the previous saved Library was iTunes 11 only. Takes time, but nothing else.

I am tempted to upgrade to iTunes 11 to see if setting up the iOS devices in a previous version prevents the bug from happening, as it originally did. But I'm not going to even bother with iTunes 11 at all after having gone through this thread. Not for at least sometime. I'm quite honestly about an inch away from expecting much of anything from Apple (Software wise) to ever come out and work properly....no matter how many times they claim to fix it.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Ran into an issue with iTunes 11. I posted a thread about it. Needless to say when setting up an iOS device in iTunes 11, if you want to sync wirelessly....you run into issues with the firewall and security in iTunes/OS X. Keeps asking me each time I open iTunes if I want to "allow" or "deny" incoming connections to iTunes. If I turn off the iOS devices or turn off the sync over Wi-Fi...the problem doesn't happen. No matter what I did with the firewall settings it didn't resolve the issue.

I didn't have this problem when I had already establish my iOS devices in iTunes 10.6.3. It only occurred when I reformatted (New HD) and set up my iOS devices in iTunes 11. It is a small bug, but it's annoying and shouldn't happen especially with how they've "redesigned and repaired" much of iTunes's glitches.

So today I wiped my iMac and went back to 10.7 (Some software needs setup in .7 and not .8) then to 10.8.2. (A Saved download, with iTunes 10.6.3 in it and not 11) and re-downloadead and re-encoded my entire library since the previous saved Library was iTunes 11 only. Takes time, but nothing else.

I am tempted to upgrade to iTunes 11 to see if setting up the iOS devices in a previous version prevents the bug from happening, as it originally did. But I'm not going to even bother with iTunes 11 at all after having gone through this thread. Not for at least sometime. I'm quite honestly about an inch away from expecting much of anything from Apple (Software wise) to ever come out and work properly....no matter how many times they claim to fix it.

The term "upgrade" cannot be applied meaningfully here at all in the case of itunes. 11 is a notable downgrade in functionality and ease of use. I hate it.

I still enjoy OS 10.6. A lot of loyalists won't admit it, but from what I've read, OS 10.7 is a mess.

The writing is on the wall. imac is a joke as well. the macbook retina display is super slow. This company is laying one turd after another. Good for me, since I can hang on to older, less expensive equipment, save money and have vastly improved functionality compared to newer pseudo-upgrades.

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2010
Florida
The term "upgrade" cannot be applied meaningfully here at all in the case of itunes. 11 is a notable downgrade in functionality and ease of use. I hate it.

I still enjoy OS 10.6. A lot of loyalists won't admit it, but from what I've read, OS 10.7 is a mess.

The writing is on the wall. imac is a joke as well. the macbook retina display is super slow. This company is laying one turd after another. Good for me, since I can hang on to older, less expensive equipment, save money and have vastly improved functionality compared to newer pseudo-upgrades.

I can't help but agree. The latest OS X revisions haven't been met with positive perceptions it seems.

Personally, I use Mountain Lion and have no problem whatsoever. In fact, I find I am more productive on OS X ML with gestures and being able to swipe between spaces and full screen apps. Launchpad is kind of helpful too, I don't have to search in the spotlight or open the finder.

I do not like mission control's expose however. Expose was completely ruined in Lion and so I have no use for it anymore.

And yes, to us veterans Apple is laying out turds. They are removing functionality from almost all their software, starting with Final Cut Pro X and OS X Server, in effort to dumb down the whole experience for the average user. Their pro market is going backwards.

I don't hate Apple, I'm just losing interest. I do hope they change before it gets too late.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
The 'masses' aren't represented by your poll at all. A 40% dissatisfaction rating is completely embarrassing, even if it did.

As far as I can tell, the poll currently only shows a ~20% dissatisfaction rating from the ones who've tried it. Almost 80% (281 out of 369) on the other hand say they "love it".

IzzyJG99

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Out of curiosity I set up my iOS Devices in iTunes 10.6.3. Then I upgraded to iTunes 11 to see if that would fix the bug. Nope. Still there. Reverted back to iTunes 10.6.3 and will stay that way forever or until Apple addresses this issue.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
As far as I can tell, the poll currently only shows a ~20% dissatisfaction rating from the ones who've tried it. Almost 80% (281 out of 369) on the other hand say they "love it".

68% say they "love it." Would you buy a product from a retailer with a 68% satisfaction rating? No, you'd run the hell away. And this is for a FREE product.

OGmaC

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
68% say they "love it." Would you buy a product from a retailer with a 68% satisfaction rating? No, you'd run the hell away. And this is for a FREE product.

couldn't agree more! iTunes11 is aberration. and the most rudimentary feature of minimizing the window by double-clicking window bar is gone! A GLOBAL feature simply omitted!

No album cover art view in Song side bar view!

Search speed is piggish.

Since Jobs passed Apple has been releasing beta software. But the mac users have no issue being unpaid beta-testers until this cult dies off and then Apple shares will plunge south of $400...

Too bad the poll is now closed. The hate it vote is grossly under-represented.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
68% say they "love it."

It only makes sense to count people who've actually tried iTunes 11. So if you exclude the people who responded to the poll by saying they haven't even upgraded to iTunes 11, you get a satisfaction rating of (currently) 76%

OGmaC

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
It only makes sense to count people who've actually tried iTunes 11. So if you exclude the people who responded to the poll by saying they haven't even upgraded to iTunes 11, you get a satisfaction rating of (currently) 76%

Assuming all 41 that tried it liked it, and not counting my major dissatisfaction.

Basic math skills: FAIL.

Let's re-open this poll.

Mac users used to be much more hardcore when Apple shares were sub $200. The LCD (not the screen tech) has clearly worked its way into these polls!

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Assuming all 41 that tried it liked it, and not counting my major dissatisfaction.

I'm assuming that the 41 who voted 'I havent upgraded yet' have not tried it and don't feel strongly enough about it to vote 'I Hate It' without even having tried it, either.

OGmaC

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
I'm assuming that the 41 who voted 'I havent upgraded yet' have not tried it and don't feel strongly enough about it to vote 'I Hate It' without even having tried it, either.

why not just exclude all that haven't tried it yet, and remove half of the hate it voters? that way you'd better support your cause of liking inferior beta software. the status quo in Apple-land of iGadgets is heading downhill and fast.

just the fact that the global setting of minimizing window via double-click/tap being omitted renders any support of this beta software irrational and idiotic. let's not even get into the other issues.

Last edited:

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
why not just omit all that haven't tried it yet, and remove half of the hate it voters? that way you'd better support your cause of liking inferior beta software. the status quo in Apple-land of iGadgets is heading downhill and fast.

You don't even know whether I like the latest version or not. I certainly don't have a 'cause'. I'm just pointing out that including choices in the poll that allow respondents to vote without actually giving out an opinion about iTunes 11 negatively influences the percentages for the other choices. Imagine if 'I use Winamp' had been a choice and 50% had responded with that answer. Would that then mean that iTunes 11 has a satisfaction rating of below 50% ?! I don't think so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.