Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

redpandadev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
I thought that iTunes 12 deserved its own "all the little things" thread so as to not clutter up the OS thread.

From the OS thread:
  • Redesigned UI Photo
  • New icon Photo
  • Sidebar moved to playlist view
  • New Get Info window Photo
  • iTunes Store doesn't get a standalone section anymore
  • New button on the toolbar to access your iTunes account
  • New button location to access content, Music, TV, Videos etc.

Last edited:

redpandadev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
I started just by copy pasting what had been posted so far from the OS "All the little things" thread. This is a wiki post, so feel free to edit if you'd like.

BruceA

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2014
Major change to the Get Info window. It's nice looking, but missing some detail. Maybe I just have to get used to it.

aimee.elizabeth

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2012
Is it me or did they complete remove the button that switches the full-sized player to mini player that used to be next to the fullscreen button on the top right side?

Are the only ways to switch to mini using the keyboard shortcut and menu shortcut now?

BruceA

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2014
Is it me or did they complete remove the button that switches the full-sized player to mini player that used to be next to the fullscreen button on the top right side?

Are the only ways to switch to mini using the keyboard shortcut and menu shortcut now?

No, it has gone. I hope they put it back in the next update!

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Tagging was made extremely annoying, with Album Artist, Comments, Composer, Grouping and Disk all hidden by default unless already filled out.

I don't know about you but about half of my 300GB library depends on the Album Artist, Grouping, Composer and Disk fields.

Last edited:

buddster

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2009
Unfortunately, they removed the View Duplicates option. Hopefully, they bring this one back too.

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
I guess this is just a re-skin and not a re-write? Meaning it's still bloated and sluggish?

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013

Clicking the album art on the top opens the mini player, but does not close the full-sized player.

thomaskyhn

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2010
iTunes doesn't remember view settings. I always set it to Music > Playlists; on the next launch it always reverts to Music > My Music.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
how do u bring it back then and dont tell me to click on playlists. thats not the same

Well, that's the closest thing we're gonna get to the iTunes 10 sidebar. :(

Clicking the album art on the top opens the mini player, but does not close the full-sized player.

This has also been the case in iTunes 11.

Unfortunately, they removed the View Duplicates option. Hopefully, they bring this one back too.

Actually, this option was so prone to picking more non-duplicates than duplicates that I'm glad Apple took it out.

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
Can't watch podcasts. Pop up says This movie requires QuickTime, which is not supported by this version of iTunes.

Mini icon navigation is really annoying. Takes so many more clicks to get to places.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Can't watch podcasts. Pop up says This movie requires QuickTime, which is not supported by this version of iTunes.

Mini icon navigation is really annoying. Takes so many more clicks to get to places.

Maybe this implies Apple is discontinuing support for QuickTime 7.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
We are at Quicktime 10.

Quicktime 7 is a product in itself and completely different from Quicktime X.

X is a patheic cut down Quicktime with an awful interface that has some useful screen recording features.

7 (with a cheap enough registration) allows editing and export options that X has never caught up with.

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
Quicktime 7 is a product in itself and completely different from Quicktime X.

X is a patheic cut down Quicktime with an awful interface that has some useful screen recording features.

7 (with a cheap enough registration) allows editing and export options that X has never caught up with.

I don't have quicktime 7 so it's refusing to play with X.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen

I'm really annoyed at the loss of the green yellow and red buttons on the mini player that started with iTunes 11. I see no reason for this change, and it's made the mini player behavior inconsistent with all other OS X windows.

Now, the green button on the full pane iTunes sends it to full display mode. Why would that be more popular than launching the mini player? Who does that?

Before it made more sense, the green button toggled back and forth between mini player and larger window, yellow sent it to the tool tray, and red killed it. Now I have to use a drop down menu to launch the mini player!!

It's annoying enough to the point I may revert to iTunes 10.7 once Yosemite alpha is released.

Presuming my music won't get lost or revert to DRM.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Urgh. This update has been frustrating. Overall in the visual department the new look is certainly great and fits with the rest of Yosemite. But they pretty much threw out practicality. Especially music playback is a pain in the neck.

Huck

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
Sherman Oaks, CA
I can't seem to edit track numbers in iTunes 12. Invoking Get Info allows me to adjust song names, album, artist, etc. but track number is inaccessible. Is there some workaround I'm not seeing? Thanks!

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
I can't seem to edit track numbers in iTunes 12. Invoking Get Info allows me to adjust song names, album, artist, etc. but track number is inaccessible. Is there some workaround I'm not seeing? Thanks!

When I get info, under Details it shows track x of y, clicking on either produces an edit box where I can change the numbers...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.