Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boymike135

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2005
I have recently installed iTunes 7.01 and transfer my podcasts to my iPod manually.

However, once transferred I can listen to them on the iPod but they do not show up in my iPod directory in iTunes so I am unable to delete them. In addition the podcast always end up in the songs section and not the podcast section but this seems to be a hangover from iTunes 5/6 and something I've learnt to live with. My iPod is now getting filled up with old podcasts which I don't want.

Can anyone suggest a way I can delete old podcasts?

Thanks

boymike135

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2005
Thanks for the speedy reply gauchogolfer.

I have tried every which way to search for the podcasts to delete them. Can you advise me which screenshot exactly might help you and I'll post it.

Thanks

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
When you connect your iPod, and it appears in the menu at left in iTunes, there should be a triangle next to the iPod that you can click on to expand a menu. Within that list of menus should be 'podcasts'. Can you select that, then take a screenshot?

boymike135

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2005
I have attatched two screen shots (I hope). One as requested (pic 1) and you can see that there are not podcast in the directory. Pic 2 shows that the podcasts do show up in the recently added column.

Strange huh?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    60.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    147.3 KB · Views: 61

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
That is quite weird. Since you're manually managing the music, can you select the iTunes library, then sort by genre to find your podcasts, then erase them?

Also, where have you been downloading your podcasts from? And, are the genre tags always present?

boymike135

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2005
No, I tried sorting by genre and that didn't help. I've attached another screen grab where you can see that 'podcast' as a genre doesn't show up.

I download all my podcasts through the UK iTunes store and the genre tag is always present.

I read that re-syncing your podcast library might fix it but as I delete my podcasts from iTunes and still have a lots on my iPod I want to keep it would effectively mean I'd lose all the podcasts.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    63 KB · Views: 48

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Hmm, well, I guess I'm stumped. I see podcast listed in the genre tags in your 2nd to last post, but when you sort they disappear, eh? Hopefully someone else has had this problem and knows of a solution, because I'm out of ideas for the moment.

Stickfigure

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2006
I just discovered that I have the same problem, so if anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate hearing them. My podcasts are still there -- they appear in other playlists I've created -- but they don't appear in the main DEVICE list (in fact, even the subcategory "podcasts" doesn't appear there). So I'm stuck with some old episodes and no room for new ones. This never happened before today, and I've been using iTunes 7 for at least a couple weeks now.

Thanks in advance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.