Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abernardi

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2008
I also have been having problems with iTunes 8 and reinstalled 7.7.1 per ggjstudios' instructions (thank you!). But I had a problem that I haven't seen reported yet: I had just imported a different pressing of an album I already had in my library, same songs, just different artwork and slightly different album title. I had just the two versions showing in my iTunes window. When I played a selection from the new import, the same selection DISAPPEARED from the old album. I thought I was seeing things. I tried it again 3 more times and lost a total of 4 songs. I checked in my iTunes library and luckily the lost songs were there, but iTunes wasn't seeing them anymore. I reimported one of them and it seemed to stick. But that alone made me nervous enough to trash iTunes 8 and go back to 7. I find it particularly strange because the two albums had slightly different names, so they were in different folders in the library! Anyone else hear of this phenomenon?

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I don't know if you'd consider it a "bug" or not, but in Itunes 8 there is no longer the option in get info to change files from Movies 2 Tv Shows etc...

As far as I can see that option is still there - under the options tab in the 'get info' window you can change the media type ?!

Even better you can now apply this change in batches, which previously wasn't possible. :)

edcoche

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2007
There should be a 'Previous iTunes Libraries' folder inside your iTunes folder.
In that folder, you will find backup files of your library index for each time that iTunes was majorly updated.

Replace your current 'iTunes Library' file with the one that has the datestamp corresponding to the time you updated to iTunes 8.

That should make it work.

(sorry for the crappy drawing)

Very good idea! Before I go ahead and do this I have a question. I checked the info on each of my files and my "iTunes Library 2008-07-19" is 5.5MB and the "iTunes Library 2008-09-10" is 7.6MB in size. I have added a lot of music since the 7/19 update and is this why the 9/10 file size is so much larger? Or is it simply b/c of 8.0? If I replace and rename the "iTunes Library" file like you have suggested will this require me to reimport the new music that I added from 7/19 until 9/10?? As it would still be in my iTunes Music folder, just not imbedded in the information stored in the previous "iTunes Library 2008-07-19".

BTW, thanks for the help!! :eek:

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Very good idea! Before I go ahead and do this I have a question. I checked the info on each of my files and my "iTunes Library 2008-07-19" is 5.5MB and the "iTunes Library 2008-09-10" is 7.6MB in size. I have added a lot of music since the 7/19 update and is this why the 9/10 file size is so much larger? Or is it simply b/c of 8.0? If I replace and rename the "iTunes Library" file like you have suggested will this require me to reimport the new music that I added from 7/19 until 9/10?? As it would still be in my iTunes Music folder, just not imbedded in the information stored in the previous "iTunes Library 2008-07-19".

BTW, thanks for the help!! :eek:

No problem!

As I see it there is either a slight misunderstanding on your side, or I'm wrong (but I don't think so). I assume that the "iTunes Library 2008-09-10" file is actually the one from iTunes 7.7, since iTunes 8, when you installed it on 09/10 will have made a backup of your (iTunes 7) library before converting it to its new format. Therefore you would only have to reimport anything that was added since 09/10.

It should not be necessary to actually use the file from July. And yes, the growing in size, while possibly also influenced by the iTunes version, is mainly because of added music and other media in your library - since the file contains references to all of your media.

edcoche

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2007
No problem!

As I see it there is either a slight misunderstanding on your side, or I'm wrong (but I don't think so). I assume that the "iTunes Library 2008-09-10" file is actually the one from iTunes 7.7, since iTunes 8, when you installed it on 09/10 will have made a backup of your then current library. Therefore you would only have to reimport anything that was added since 09/10.

It should not be necessary to actually use the file from July. And yes, the growing in size, while possibly also influenced by the iTunes version, is mainly because of added music and other media in your library - since the file contains references to all of your media.

Well, now that you mention it, the iTunes Library 2008-09-10 would be the one backed up. I updated on 9-10. With it located in the "previous itunes library" that would make it the backup of 7.7. Brain fart on my behalf. We'll see how this goes!

Thanks again!!

jsalbre

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2007
At least you HAVE Genius...

ytnp

Sorry for the off topic, but what dock and icons are those? Thanks!

nicholass1

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
Does anyone know how to fix or why my iTunes 8 keeps freezing and when I force quit it, it doesn't fully quit?

aznguy2772

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2007
When adding a song to iTunes, you have to deselect the song before you can add artwork in the bottom left.

When adding a song, it usually started playing. Now it doesn't. I don't know if that's a bug, or if there's a way to fix this.

EDIT: I could've sworn before that there was an option in preference to start playing a song after adding it, but now I can't find it.

Hollywood12

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2008
Itunes Alternative.

:confused:
Hi everyone.
Sorry brand new to this forum.
Question:What is the best alternative to I tuns.
I just bought a i touch and I cannot stand the I tunes format.
Please Help!!!!!!!!
Hollywood.

itsliz89

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2008
california
ARTWORK!!!!!

I posted this in the ipod touch section thinking it was a problem with my ipod:

So much for being excited over the new ipod touch...

I was forced to upgrade to 8.0.

At first, I noticed that the album art didn't show up for about 4 of the albums, blank black screen (I don't have many albums to begin with).

I tried multiple times on itunes to try to add the missing artwork, no luck. Then for some reason, it worked on random attempts for of the 2 albums. Oh wait, but then those two items started showing up for other albums as well. Like for example:

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/9772/photo43rz8.jpg

Albums in the Incubus category would have a Britney Spears and The Fray photo...

But then the The Fray artwork randomly went away, going back to plain black.

Now, multiple albums under one artist goes back to the default music note graphic like the photo above.

I looked up possible problems and solutions. I don't apply artwork individually to one track. I select all titles in the same album, get info, and apply artwork to them all. I can't deselect the "show artwork" on the ipod or whatever it is because I don't see that option anyway on itunes 8.0...

Never had problems with older itunes and my older nano. I wanted to also note that artwork looks fine on itunes for me as well. This darn ipod and itunes... I want to scream on the top of my lungs. aaaHHHHHHHHH.

I am so so so annoyed/angry. I'm so anal about album artwork and seeing a Britney Spears photo randomly show up for a Jack Johnson song is making me go bonkers. Makes it look like I'm using some poorly refurbished discounted item. I'm getting a headache over this and I rarely get headaches! I don't even want to touch my ipod until there's a resolution to this issue.

I'm even more angry that I was forced to upgrade. I was fine with my older nano and outdated version of itunes. I rarely upgrade because if it ain't broken, why fix it? LOVE it how I had to get some incompetent version of itunes...

So, how long until a new version of itunes would come out?

Oneness

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2007
Cowtown
itunes 8 plays songs alphabetically

Okay so I updated my software to itunes 8 and now all of my songs are listed alphabetically within each album instead of by track number. When I play an album itunes plays the songs alphabetically and not by track number.
Is there some preference setting that I am missing?
I record alot of hour-long and two hour-long music sets and then break them up into tracks for ease of listening and I really need to have them play in track order and not alphabetically.

bsheridan

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
Okay so I updated my software to itunes 8 and now all of my songs are listed alphabetically within each album instead of by track number. When I play an album itunes plays the songs alphabetically and not by track number.
Is there some preference setting that I am missing?
I record alot of hour-long and two hour-long music sets and then break them up into tracks for ease of listening and I really need to have them play in track order and not alphabetically.

press :apple: + j, click track number, then click on track in the menu bar.

Oliviert17

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2008
Visualisers/Coverflow Randomly stop working

Has anyone here experienced an issue concerning the coverflow or visualisers? They were both working 100% after installation, now they decide to just go blank every once in a while, seems to be a GUI problem since all other elements are working fine. :confused::(

ApplePicks

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2008
Sault Ste. Marie
I recently plugged a friends Nano into my iMac (G5) and it seems to have crashed iTunes... Now, every time I try to start iTunes it just crashes... any ideas? I'm thinking I'll just have to wait until the next bug fix?

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Don't know what you all are complaining about. iTunes 8 works perfectly for me. No crashes, no hangs. I don't have a lot of music, so Genius doesn't work for some of the obscure music I have, like Folk. I hope 8.0.1 fixes the problems for you guys!

bsheridan

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
I've noticed that in the 'Date Added' field, the dates are just blatantly wrong for my library (see pic).
I've just reformatted my HD so when I downloaded iTunes 8 I had no files in my iTunes folder. I then copied everything over from my iTunes folder (from itunes 7.7) from an external hard drive which had the back up.
Would my library file be corrupt? Could it be fixed?

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    426.3 KB · Views: 108

ApplePicks

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2008
Sault Ste. Marie
Ok... well... I hope this helps someone. My problem was that iTunes crashed before it even loaded... It would bounce on the dock for a second then I would get an error message "iTunes unexpectedly quit".

I had iTunes 8. I didn't un-install 8. All I did was download iTunes 8 from Apple and let it install. Seems to have worked. Everything is working the same as it did before. :)

Hope that helps...

J

jv311

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
theres lot's of pages to this thread so i could have missed a solution to this but whenever i minimize the itunes window i can no longer control it through there. is it just me or has this happened to anyone?
10z07k1.jpg
none of the buttons work

bsheridan

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
I've noticed that in the 'Date Added' field, the dates are just blatantly wrong for my library (see pic).
I've just reformatted my HD so when I downloaded iTunes 8 I had no files in my iTunes folder. I then copied everything over from my iTunes folder (from itunes 7.7) from an external hard drive which had the back up.
Would my library file be corrupt? Could it be fixed?

Found out what was wrong;
In System Preferences | International | Format, I had the region set to custom. Changing it to one of the preset regions, UK for me, fixed it.
Happy Chappy!:):)

speanburg4

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2008
I downloaded iTunes 8 this morning and can't seem to figure something out. I tried to import a mp4 movie from my computer and iTunes just closes every time. I tried importing it and dragging it and it closes no matter what I do. I deleted a movie that was in iTunes before the update, and was able to successfully import it back into iTunes. But I cannot import any new mp4 movie files. I tried uninstalling iTunes 8 and reinstalling iTunes 7, but now my library is messed up and I don't want to make it worse. Any suggestions?

Also, I cannot play these same movies using QuickTime since the update. QuickTime closes when I try to play them. I can play them on my other mac, which I have not updated yet. I can also import them into iTunes 7.7 on the other computer, so it does not appear to be an issue with the movie files themselves. But I have spent the last 6 hours searching for a solution online. I need some advice!!

nicholass1

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
I recently plugged a friends Nano into my iMac (G5) and it seems to have crashed iTunes... Now, every time I try to start iTunes it just crashes... any ideas? I'm thinking I'll just have to wait until the next bug fix?

I have the same problem but no one seems to be responding to it. Someone help please! Hope something comes up soon.

Cousin Dirk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
London, UK
AirTunes, which was already screwy in iTunes 7, is still screwy in iTunes 8, but with some extra screwy on top.

To explain:

Occasionally (almost but not quite often), when opening iTunes 7 or my laptop from sleep, it would not connect to my remote speakers. It would see the remote speakers, and list them in the drop down menu, but if I tried to select them, nothing would happen. It wouldn't allow me to tick the speakers in the "Multiple speakers" menu either. Nor would it give me any kind of error report, it would just not connect.

I found the best solution for that problem is to update the AirPort Express unit using the AirPort Admin Utility, then putting the computer to sleep for a short time.

This problem, it seems, is still present in iTunes 8, but there is a new one too to aggravate me.

When playing music through AirTunes (and this seems to happen quite often), after a time (although, going by my listening to iTunes Store previews last week, it could be after a number of tracks rather than a time) the playback would simply stop at the end of a track - or, more specifically, one second from the end of a track. iTunes would still be giving the impression that is was playing - the little speaker icon next to the track in the listing would still be there, and the play button is still a pause button, implying the music is playing, but nothing is happening. If I then skip the track or play another, it will play, but the iTunes display will not move, nor will it change when the track does, and the speaker icon remains next to the 'old' track (and command-l to highlight the current track will also select the 'old' track). The playcounts do also not update. Any skipping, pausing etc of the track takes a up to 5 seconds to reflect in the music coming from the remote speakers.

Quitting iTunes seems to solve the problem - although it does run the risk of causing the old not connecting to speakers problem to resurface.

Neither of these issues present error numbers.

Any thoughts?

youashwag

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2007
iTunes keeps on freezing and i have to push the power button and hold for it to turn off. This has happened to me almost 10 times in like three weeks.

Anyone else with this problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.