Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MatthewCobb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Manchester, UK
My daughter's 8GB Nano 3G has started playing up. If you try listening/playing videos, it does nothing, and when it's connected to my Mac, it says it's connected but it doesn't show up on iTunes. I want to restore it, but can't if it can't be seen! I have tried rebooting the iPod and iTunes in various orders, but it makes no difference...

MatthewCobb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Manchester, UK
Thanks for those tips - I was able to get it into disk mode and restore the iPod.

I have restored, added a file, disconnected the iPod through iTunes and then selected language to set it up.

But
a) it still won't play the new file (either video or music - there's no sound/vision and the time slider remains at zero) and
b) it still just says connected without appearing in the iTunes menu.

I've repeated this a couple of times, to no avail. I've also tried with a different USB cable. And yes it is connected to the main USB port of the iMac.

Any other ideas?

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Anything that a restore of the device does not resolve, other than a settings issue introduced after the restore, of course, is gonna be a hardware issue. Unless the device is under warranty or AppleCare, you're looking at $99 or $129 depending on whether its a 4 GB or 8 GB model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.