Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e=mc2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
I have a TiBook 667 MHz G4 with Combo Drive. Installed MacOSX 10.4.7 and iTunes 6.0.5. The iTunes seems to do everything except playing songs from any Audio CD. I can see the Audio CD playlist in iTunes, and can see the CD icon on my desktop. The Combo drive reads and writes data CD, playes DVDs fine and seems to do everything its supposed to do properly. Does anyone have similar problem and any solution for it?

Thanks

:confused:

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Can you import the songs from the CD and play them that way.

Or have you tried another audio program to play the songs, to find out if it is just an iTunes problem.

e=mc2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
eva01 said:
Can you import the songs from the CD and play them that way.

No, I could not. iTunes stopped responding.

Or have you tried another audio program to play the songs, to find out if it is just an iTunes problem.

Could you please suggest me some.

thanks

e=mc2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
eva01 said:
does VLC play music CDs?

no, it could not either. is this a hardware problem? I am just confused, then how can it read DVD and data CDs? Any other suggestions?

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
e=mc2 said:
no, it could not either. is this a hardware problem? I am just confused, then how can it read DVD and data CDs? Any other suggestions?

so can you import the CD and play the songs that way?

e=mc2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
eva01 said:
so is this every audio CD you have or just certain ones.

I know you stated any audio CD, i am just clarifying.

Yes, with everyone. I tried around 10. All of them are playing fine on my home audio system but not in my tiBook.
Also, when I push the play button in either iTunes or VLC it crashes both. This is really odd!!!

:(

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
e=mc2 said:
Yes, with everyone. I tried around 10. All of them are playing fine on my home audio system but not in my tiBook.
Also, when I push the play button in either iTunes or VLC it crashes both. This is really odd!!!

huh i am at a loss then, may be time to replace a combo drive. or try an archive and install

first try to create a second user account and try to listen to audio CD in that account

e=mc2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
first try to create a second user account and try to listen to audio CD in that account[/QUOTE]

That was a great suggestion. My apparently dead CDs are alive again in iTunes. I created a new user account as you suggested and in that account everything is working fine. How can i fix my original account?

:)

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
hmmm this seems to be a preference issue

i am going through my files to see what could be causing it

EDIT: You can try to move the CD Info.cidb to the desktop and then try an audio CD

e=mc2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
eva01 said:
hmmm this seems to be a preference issue

i am going through my files to see what could be causing it

Hi, guess what, my original account's iTunes has started playing the CDs too. God knows how. Thanks for the great suggestion, looks like it magically solved the odd problem.

thanks again.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
e=mc2 said:
Hi, guess what, my original account's iTunes has started playing the CDs too. God knows how. Thanks for the great suggestion, looks like it magically solved the odd problem.

thanks again.

well apparently it just needed a kick in the pants :p

glad it is working now

e=mc2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
eva01 said:
well apparently it just needed a kick in the pants :p

glad it is working now

Ooops, back again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like the new version of iTunes have some issues. My old problem came back again. I reinstalled the MacOS X 10.4.7 but still having iTunes 6.0.5 unable to read audio CDs and crashing. But this time the VLC is working fine. The interesting thing is that I was unable to reinstall the latest version of iTunes by directly downloading it from Mac website. The iTunes installer is giving me a ridiculous error message: "there is no file to install".

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
You may need to remove some iTunes-related packages from the Receipts folder in the Library folder before you can reinstall iTunes. In the meantime, what sort of third party apps and widgets are running at the same time you're having these issues? :)

e=mc2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
mad jew said:
You may need to remove some iTunes-related packages from the Receipts folder in the Library folder before you can reinstall iTunes. In the meantime, what sort of third party apps and widgets are running at the same time you're having these issues? :)

I deleted all iTunes related packages from my computer and was able to reinstall iTunes. But the problem of iTunes unable to read audio CD is still there.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
e=mc2 said:
I deleted all iTunes related packages from my computer and was able to reinstall iTunes. But the problem of iTunes unable to read audio CD is still there.
try deleting the iTunes prefernce lists in your home folder, in the library folder

e=mc2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
eva01 said:
try deleting the iTunes prefernce lists in your home folder, in the library folder

Hi, thanks for helping me out again. It worked when I deleted the folders you suggested but then I stopped playing, ejected my CD and reinserted it. iTunes forgot to read my CD again and crashed. This seems ridiculous that I have to delete the itunes.plists everytime I fireup iTunes.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
e=mc2 said:
Hi, thanks for helping me out again. It worked when I deleted the folders you suggested but then I stopped playing, ejected my CD and reinserted it. iTunes forgot to read my CD again and crashed. This seems ridiculous that I have to delete the itunes.plists everytime I fireup iTunes.

try and delete everything associated with iTunes, then try again. (after a reinstall of iTunes)

Sorry for all the frustrations you seem to be having.

e=mc2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
eva01 said:
try and delete everything associated with iTunes, then try again. (after a reinstall of iTunes)

Sorry for all the frustrations you seem to be having.

I already did, but no luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.