Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
I was thinking about the applications that Apple could port to Windows without taking anything away from its Mac sales and iChat seems to be the most logical candidate. iChat for Windows would not only sell a lot of iSights but it would also benefit us Mac users with friends we would like to teleconference with but do not have a Mac.

What do people think? Is iChat headed for a conversion or is iTunes as far as Apple goes into the Windows software market?

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
It would be great to see iChat AV for Windows, then I could do video calls to my parents at home whenever I miss seeing my dog or seeing everyone at home.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Well it may well just happen, Apple and AOL are in bed with each other so its another logically step :)

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Before there is iChat for windows, I think the mac version still needs some major work. I use it as my main chat client, mainly since I can't stand AIM for mac.

iChat still needs:
better support for buddylists
support for animated buddy icons
et cetera

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
Before there is iChat for windows, I think the mac version still needs some major work. I use it as my main chat client, mainly since I can't stand AIM for mac.

iChat still needs:
better support for buddylists
support for animated buddy icons
et cetera

One thing I'd like to see is the ability to do direct connect with AIM users to transfer pics and such.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
I think it's more likely that AOL will use the standards in iChat AV to make it compatible so we can video conference with AOL IM users on the PC.

I wish Apple would add support for animated buddy icons as well! I've sent feedback several times on that matter and I'm sure many others have as well. I guess Apple doesn't like animated buddy icons.

Schiffi

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Missouri
I'd rather see iChat abilities in AIM and vice versa. More people would use an update to AIM rather than a new program (iChat). Just make AIM for PC use the same process that iChat AV uses for video/audio chat. Maybe add Rendezvous to AIM for PC as well. I'd like to see auto away messages and animated buddy icons for iChat.

snahabed

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2002
New York, NY
I was thinking about this as well.

I am not of the "port everything to Windows!" camp, but if the purpose of iTunes for Windows is to sell iPods, then wouldn't iChat for Windows sell iSights?

Of course, I can imagine that the iPod has way higher profit margins than the iSight (or not?), and therefore it might not be worth the effort. But let's face it, the iSight is a top notch camera, and NOTHING on Windows comes close to the quality of the iSight/iChat combo.

Hmm add USB to iSight 2, and maybe? :)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
What Apple desperately needs to port to the PC is a Keynote Player.

arn

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Originally posted by arn
What Apple desperately needs to port to the PC is a Keynote Player.

arn

I AGREE!! I did a pres for work and had to export to quicktime and then install quicktime on our laptop which ran slooow...and keynote player would have made the whole process easier!

bertagert

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2003
Originally posted by jholzner
I AGREE!! I did a pres for work and had to export to quicktime and then install quicktime on our laptop which ran slooow...and keynote player would have made the whole process easier!

Funny thing is, I work on three PC's and one mac. I don't find Quicktime to be "slow" on the PC. It works just fine. What is everyone doing with Quicktime on their PC's that makes it so slow? Yes, launch time is faster on the mac but thats about it for me.

Is it the ability to expand the window an such? Ihave a feeling that putting on the metal skin for the windows version is the problem there. But still, I don't expand or drag my quicktime movies around my screen too much.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Originally posted by bertagert
Funny thing is, I work on three PC's and one mac. I don't find Quicktime to be "slow" on the PC. It works just fine. What is everyone doing with Quicktime on their PC's that makes it so slow? Yes, launch time is faster on the mac but thats about it for me.

Is it the ability to expand the window an such? Ihave a feeling that putting on the metal skin for the windows version is the problem there. But still, I don't expand or drag my quicktime movies around my screen too much.

It was an pent. 1 laptop...oooold. the pres went okay but the transitions were slow at times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.