Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
I can't say how Apple is doing it, but I can tell you how I would have done it.

There are three problems that the matching software has to solve: 1. Take a song from your hard drive and find whether it matches any of 18 million songs on the store, without missing any songs. 2. Take a song from your hard drive and find whether it matches one specific song on the store, without being tricked into a false match. 3. Do it quick.

I would first go by artist/song title to find a likely match. So if you have a song "Madonna/Borderline" and there is a song "Madonna/Borderline" on the store, I try to take a fingerprint of the music on your drive and compare it with a pre-calculated fingerprint of the song on the store. 3 minutes silence won't match the song. On the other hand, for some people this could match 80 or 90 percent of their songs. This method would be very quick, because Apple only needs a fingerprint good enough to match one song against one song.

Everything that isn't matched that way, a better fingerprint is needed to look up the song in the 18 million song database, which would take a bit longer. That would work by taking the actual music and nothing else.

They are probably using the same fingerprint service the record labels use today to identify pirated copies of songs on file sharing services and sue you..

On the other hand, if they are using the same identifier that they use today to get album artwork, it will be interesting... I noticed that if it can't get the album art (happened a LOT for my Glee tracks that I bought on Napster and imported into iTunes), then I have to go into the song and edit the properties and make sure the artist, song, and album title match EXACTLY how they have it listed in the iTunes store...

Whatever the case, this is going to be really REALLY interesting..

PCClone

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2010
I wonder if the upgrade is one-time or if it's only available as long as you're paying $24.99 a month.

In other words, if I pay $24.99, does it simply replace all my non-iTunes song files with higher quality files? If so, people could just pay once to upgrade thousands of songs and then cancel. The benefit of continuing to pay would be that you could upgrade any new songs you add to your library.

per year, not month.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I still don't understand how you think $25 would amount to a receipt for thousands of songs? That receipt just says that apple swapped out files for you.

Because paying for something that you take ownership of in a legal transaction is considered a legal sale. For the $25 you are paying Apple (who then pays the music industry) you are getting to download a bunch of iTunes songs (if this is as others believe). It is an endorsed "sale" of "upgraded" music for $25.

I think there's still some room for the music industry to ask to see the original sourced (legally obtained) media. But if Apple collects the $25 and then gives the music industry their cut, they were then paid something for what the $25 purchased.

Certainly I'm not a legal expert on this topic. I think we need some genuine lawyers to chime in to get an expert take to the question.

Frankly, I'm still shocked about the Time Capsule rumor not showing up today. That's how I thought Apple would cover the legal risk issue: all of the non-iTunes-purchased content streaming from your (optional) own local piece of iCloud and the rest streaming from the NC iCloud. Without that, I think the legal questions make this pretty messy or Apple really worked an incredible deal with the music industry if iTunes Match will actually involve downloading permanent (local) replacements for files. The more I think about it now, the more confident I am that when the facts come out, iTunes match must be about streaming all non-iTunes-purchased content. We'll all see soon enough.

Last edited:

AaronEdwards

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
I really don't think this is the way Apple presented this to the record companies. Rather Apple sold them on a subscription service where people pay money for access to music they were already "stealing" for free. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the artists are paid their share of the fee based on number of song plays just like every other subscription service. It is a significant slice of their usual charge for such services for a rather paltry slice of their catalog. It is just a rather novel way of determining what that access catalog will be.

From what money are the artists being paid ? The $25/year? That's nothing. And there's nothing yet indicating that any of that money is actually being transfered to any record companies, it's more likely paying for Apple's expenses.

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
What about when you stop paying the fee? I hope they don't make it to be deleted from your iTunes library.

If you stop paying the fee you stop getting the matching service. If it's a real download then your devices would still contain whatever you downloaded to that point but new devices would only get iTunes-purchased music. If it's a streaming service on the other hand (and that point seems to be in dispute), you would lose all your non-iTunes-purchased music on all devices.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Music you didn't pay for? :confused:

I have lots of music that I didn't pay for which isn't pirated. Lots of audiobooks that I didn't pay for which isn't pirated. Lots of software that I didn't pay for which isn't pirated.

essinger

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2008
From what money are the artists being paid ? The $25/year? That's nothing. And there's nothing yet indicating that any of that money is actually being transfered to any record companies, it's more likely paying for Apple's expenses.

It might seem like nothing, but when you consider these same record companies are selling access to almost their entire catalogs for $50 and $96/year, it's actually a pretty good deal for them.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
I honestly can't believe this. All the fuss about the data center, the negotiations with the labels, and all they come up with is a backup service? I'm very dissapointed. I expected this for free but with an option to pay something like $99/yr or something for the ability to get extra storage and STREAM

I expected a revolutionary service that would almost eliminate the need for local storage and allows us to have ALL our content available on all of our devices

We don't actually know that's the case. Right now if you use iTunes existing home sharing setup on an iOS device, it simply creates the library in your "iPod" application. Nothing is stored on the device itself aside from some minimal caching.

I have a 16GB iPad 2 and stream from my 80GB iTunes library quite frequently. I don't see why this wouldn't work the same way, simply adding a library to your device with the option to download from the cloud. The Keynote wasn't specific on this, but it would make no sense to go to some web interface when Apple's already got the formula put together.

Blu-Ray

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Colorado
It seems that the more tech-savvy media has the same message - this is not a streaming service. The biggest value of the matching service sounds like:

1) easy syncing of all music (purchased and non-purchased) to all devices
2) upgrading non-iTunes purchased lower quality music to 256kbps (if it is in the iTunes database)

andrea25

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
Let's say I have 500 mb of purchased songs and 20 gb of non-purchased song.
If I pay $25/yr, then Apple upgrade my songs to 256 kbps AAC version.
What does it mean? I have to re-download the entire 20 gb of my library? And what about the original non-purchased songs? They got replaced? Or I'll end up having on my hdd 2 copies of the same songs (so 20+20=40gb).

I don't think so. Well this has to be a streaming service (or something like that).

AaronEdwards

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
It might seem like nothing, but when you consider these same record companies are selling access to almost their entire catalogs for $50 and $96/year, it's actually a pretty good deal for them.

The difference being that if you pay for a streaming service, when you stop paying you can't listen anymore and you don't get to keep any music.

With Apple, you pay $25, and then you can convert your illegally downloaded music to files that are, to my knowledge, indistinguishable from what others have bought from the iTunes Store. Then after a year you can stop paying and keep the songs.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
I'm happy with the 5,000 songs in my pocket. That's enough for me.

The difference being that if you pay for a streaming service, when you stop paying you can't listen anymore and you don't get to keep any music.

With Apple, you pay $25, and then you can convert your illegally downloaded music to files that are, to my knowledge, indistinguishable from what others have bought from the iTunes Store. Then after a year you can stop paying and keep the songs.

True but really the people who spend a lot of time looking for pirated music are too cheap to spend $25.

irish15eagle

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011
AppleTV and Network Integration?

When the rumors first started about iCloud, I was really excited. I had just been given an AppleTV as a gift, and my first iPhone will be soon to follow.
Moving forward, the rumored iCloud seemed to be the perfect idea: I could get a small hd on the iphone and just use cloud technology to stream my media, the same way i do on my AppleTV. Not only this, but I would no longer have to leave my laptop on, open, and in iTunes to use my library on my AppleTV.
Perfect, right? Wrong. I'm hoping I don't understand apple because, to me, they seem to have taken a step back. Instead of moving to the cloud where I could more easily integrate my media while reducing the memory space that it takes up, Apple is now pushing technology that pushes EXTRA downloads of files on local memory in the name of faster, automatic syncing.
To top this off, with iTunes Match basically required to use the service for most people (let's be honest, a lot of music on iTunes accounts isn't from iTunes store), it's also unclear as to what happens to the original "matched" files. To me, it sounds like they get replaced, which further complicates the file storage issues. If I would want to move away from the current file systems, why would I use iCloud when I can more easily, more cheaply, and more effectively setup my own network drive and then *gasp*, just plug in my iPod to sync?
I hope I'm wrong, but this just seems like a huge disappointment.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009

And when you stop paying to Apple for their service - you keep exactly what you had in the first place. So how is it better? Add to this the fact that Apple will not even stream this music to you.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
For that matter, how would Apple know if 3min of silence called Borderline by Madonna isn't what it claims to be. Could you sneak in such sound files and get a real match?

It's going to scan the audio data. That's how apps like Shazam work. It's technology that's several years old at this point and will be far more accurate than reading metadata. Even a lot of purchased CD's (especially from independent artists) don't have metadata embedded in the files. A lot of that music is available on iTunes though, it'll have to scan the audio.

I recall reading something about a patent for scanning the first few seconds of audio files for some kind of streaming service, my guess is that's the automated scanning process Apple is using on the backend.

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
So here's what I'm wondering about iTunes Match...

I have a ton of music that was legally purchased through iTunes back before the iTunes Plus format was available.

Suppose they will match that with iTunes Plus versions? (I sure hope so!)

Steve said all songs matched to the 256kbps which is iTunes plus

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.