Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Can anyone give me a run-down of what specific tags will constitute a match in the store ?

i know song name must be correct and album name, but what abut album artist ?

I've run into issues where i have albums, but different artists on that album..... iTunes match does not correct it as the "album artist"field being the same album even though its a "match"

this causes headaches, since i must update or change the field afterwards/before .

I have tried just checking the "This is part of a compilation" but it didn't work... only after updating the the album artist field works, however i fail to see why iTunes match wouldn't also check this, since (a it IS a match, and b) the album is on the store along with the same different artists on that album..

Since the album names are both correct anyway.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Do you have Apple Music or just iTunes Match? In the latter case, the tags don't matter at all. The matching is done purely based on an audio fingerprint of the song. Matching works differently with Apple Music, but I have no experience with that.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Do you have Apple Music or just iTunes Match? In the latter case, the tags don't matter at all. The matching is done purely based on an audio fingerprint of the song. Matching works differently with Apple Music, but I have no experience with that.

Yes, i do use both... but it's not matching with Apple music as it clearly states in the dialog "Matching with songs on the itunes store." Yet, when i delete my own local or new playlist is done, those ones i matched are in the cloud, but the specific meta data i thought that would have been matched, is still missing..

My reason behind this is.. If the songs with different artists is on the itunes store on the same album, the entire "entire" album is matched, since the album tag reflects this..... yet the album artist field does not.....when i thought it would be updated automatically becase it 'matched' it to "the album'

The only difference is, on the store these are altogether on the same album..

This must be one of those things about 'song matching' Apple users.....

Last edited:

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Yes, i do use both...
If you have Apple Music, the fingerprint-based matching that standalone iTunes Match normally does is disabled AFAIK. iTunes Match never had such problems with tagging since it simply didn't use or change the tags.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
actually that's not true...

in all cases it is 'matched' if it exists in the store, even with incorrect meta data...

I tried with today with a Itunes Match subscription, stand alone... and another account with both services...

In both cases the same album matched on the store, despite the meta data... However i did find out only Song, album and artist are needed to require a match to same album.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
In both cases the same album matched on the store, despite the meta data... However i did find out only Song, album and artist are needed to require a match to same album.
Hm, I guess I don't understand the problem then. If the song is matched using the iTunes Match method (i.e. only based on an audio fingerprint regardless of the file's metadata), you can edit the tags of the song however you want. Match doesn't touch them.

From what people wrote here on the forum it's different if you are also an Apple Music subscriber.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.