Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satchow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2011
Before doing iTunes Match, I had album art for every song/album on my iPhone. Now all the albums in iTunes have album art, but about 20% of my albums in my iPhone Music App are missing the art (grey background w/ the music symbol). Anybody else having this problem?

marcello696

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
was having the same problem yesterday but this morning most of my album art has returned.

With the servers getting slammed yesterday, I am assuming it will take time but all album art will be available.

Spiffyis5150

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Quick update for you guys. I did shuffle on all my songs on my iPhone and I'm seeing now that the ones that don't have artwork are downloading it over WiFi now. Unforunately, I'm flipping each track on my iPhone which sucks, but I'm finding that as long it starts playing, it will trigger the download of the artwork and if I flip forward/backward then I will see the artwork for the song now. Anyway, I'm off to finish going through every song on my iPhone. Yea. :cool:

jeremyisweary

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2010
Dallas, TX
I experienced this on my mac yesterday during the uploading process. I simply clicked the album missing the artwork and subsequently clicked the "show or hide item artwork" button in the bottom left corner of iTunes. The correct artwork pops up instantly. I'm guessing it's just a bug. Upon checking my iPhone 4 this morning, I'm noticing some albums are missing artwork, even those which I purchased from iTunes.

I'm sure all of this will be worked out in the future, but it's hella frustrating after waiting hours for the process to complete.

alecp763

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
From what I can tell, it has to download all of the artwork for the iCloud music. For some reason the music app doesn't download it all at once, it either downloads it as it needs it or slowly over time. All my artwork is there in iTunes though!

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
From what I can tell, it has to download all of the artwork for the iCloud music. For some reason the music app doesn't download it all at once, it either downloads it as it needs it or slowly over time. All my artwork is there in iTunes though!

This appears to be an issue with the servers getting hit with lots of traffic now that it's gone public. It was not as bad during the beta.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
I think I figured out a fix. You basically need to redo the album art for the albums that are not working. I don't know if this was related to the fact that the albums with the problem had 600x600 album art or what but this is what I did.

1. Get the album art file, you can export it from the album by opening "info" on one of the tracks, then under the artwork tab, drag out the image to your Desktop (or Finder).
2. Open the image in an editor, resize image to 500 pixel max, save a PNG (that's what I did at least)
3. Select all tracks in the album, open "get info" on them and click the checkbox on album art, then click okay, removing the existing album art.
4. Repeat step 3 but instead drag your new image into the album art box.
5. Repeat the above steps for all the albums that have the issue.

When complete, go to "Store -> Update iTunes Match" and let it go through the update process.

Now you are done, your albums will update on your iDevices. You might need to restart your iDevice before it will see the changes, also sometimes you also need to play a track from the updated album.

Note that I am not exactly sure what part of the steps fixed it for me, but doing a straight "Update iTunes Match" did not fix it for me, until I went through and fixed each album's artwork.

Also you might not need to restart your iDevice after, but it seems to help force the update because it might not always check for updates all the time.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I was able to get all of my Album art in by re-applying the ones that weren't showing initially. Now I've noticed that in the Artists tab the problem seems to persist despite every album having art. Not sure where to go from here.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i think its synching them back after u activate iTunes Match on the iPhone. i was shocked to see that all of my album covers were gone on my iPad but i noticed the spinning wheel implying that its downloading something and covers kept popping up one after another

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Quick update for you guys. I did shuffle on all my songs on my iPhone and I'm seeing now that the ones that don't have artwork are downloading it over WiFi now. Unforunately, I'm flipping each track on my iPhone which sucks, but I'm finding that as long it starts playing, it will trigger the download of the artwork and if I flip forward/backward then I will see the artwork for the song now. Anyway, I'm off to finish going through every song on my iPhone. Yea. :cool:

Yep, this is happening for me. Good and bad, I guess. I wonder what happens when I later go in and "delete" the songs from my device. Does the artwork go with it? If so, that isn't the best solution. My gut tells me that this will be corrected at some point so that all album artwork will get downloaded to the device (at least a small thumbnail version for the list, etc) soon.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I think I figured out a fix. You basically need to redo the album art for the albums that are not working. I don't know if this was related to the fact that the albums with the problem had 600x600 album art or what but this is what I did.

1. Get the album art file, you can export it from the album by opening "info" on one of the tracks, then under the artwork tab, drag out the image to your Desktop (or Finder).
2. Open the image in an editor, resize image to 500 pixel max, save a PNG (that's what I did at least)
3. Select all tracks in the album, open "get info" on them and click the checkbox on album art, then click okay, removing the existing album art.

When complete, go to "Store -> Update iTunes Match" and let it go through the update process.

Now you are done, your albums will update on your iDevices. You might need to restart your iDevice before it will see the changes, also sometimes you also need to play a track from the updated album.

Note that I am not exactly sure what part of the steps fixed it for me, but doing a straight "Update iTunes Match" did not fix it for me, until I went through and fixed each album's artwork.

Also you might not need to restart your iDevice after, but it seems to help force the update because it might not always check for updates all the time.

omg your right, an album cover that didnt show me the artwork before on the iPad FINALLY FINALLY showed up after i resized it from 600 to 480. thank you

edit: nvm works on some, not all with cover issues plus some appear on the iPad but not on the iPhone. such a cover mess

Last edited:

cbs31572

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2009
Durham, NC
omg your right, an album cover that didnt show me the artwork before on the iPad FINALLY FINALLY showed up after i resized it from 600 to 480. thank you

edit: nvm works on some, not all with cover issues plus some appear on the iPad but not on the iPhone. such a cover mess

Maybe Apple could just automatically make the adjustment on the back end so that the users don't have to deal with this issue because iTunes allows artwork over a specified size :)

Chopper9

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Yea right! Who the hell is going to sit there and do that for 100's or in my case, 1000's of albums?

Fix it already Apple!!!!

mattiowa

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2006
Working now

My artwork on the iPhone has not worked since I started with iTunes Match but today it finally is. The catch is that the first time I play a song nothing is there but when I go back to the song the artwork is now there.

Maverickster

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2009
Tried the "play a song off the album" trick and the "resize the album art" trick (both of which are discussed above); even tried the "make a metadata edit, save, correct back to accurate info, and save again to force a resync" trick. None of that works.

What worked for me was, in iTunes, (a) copying the album art from one of the tracks that had it (highlight track, right-click "get info", artwork tab, right-click artwork, copy), then changing the view to the icon/album view (so the tracks aren't listed) and pasting the album art for the entire album there (right click on album, get info, right click on artwork near the bottom right, paste).

Did that for every album for which the album art was missing. They now all appear correctly on my iOS devices.

High on Life

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I'm pretty sure the missing album artwork has nothing to do with size, format, or what view you add the artwork. Replacing the artwork from scratch worked for me. If someone could find a connection between all of the artwork that won't upload to iTunes Match that would be great.

1) In iTunes, highlight all tracks of the album with missing artwork
2) Right-click the tracks and go to Get Info
3) Check the box for Artwork and click OK (This will delete the artwork)
4) Highlight all tracks of the album with missing artwork again
5) Go to Google Images and search for the album's artwork
6) Copy and paste the image from your browser into the artwork box (bottom left-hand corner of iTunes)
7) Go to Store > Update iTunes Match
8) Close the Music app if it's running in the background
9) Open the Music app and enjoy your album artwork.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
My artwork is appearing and disappearing randomly on my iPhone. There seems to be no logic to it. I synced the music, mac to iPhone, all the artwork appears. Turn on iTunes Match on iPhone, the artwork disappears. Delete all local music from the iPhone and then turn on iTunes Match, artwork randomly comes in, and after playing a song, the artwork that came in disappears.

This service would be great if it worked properly. Your customers expect better, Apple. Mobile Me redux.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i got sick of losing the album art of songs that had them just 5 minutes earlier or show up on some places but not on the lockscreen for example. won't use it anymore unless apple gets their shiat together.

its like the cover stays on songs that u listen to a lot but its losing and reloading them on songs u barely or havent listened to in a while.

Lunar Camel

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2011
Music Playing iCloud Bugs

On one hand I'm impressed, on the other hand, the bugs in the system are annoying. The good is that the sound quality is truly amazing. But it's odd that I click on a selection to play through my phone, the album artwork comes up but then when the next song on the same album comes up, the artwork disappears. I click the back arrow, then now playing and the artwork 'usually' reappears...until the third some comes on. Very annoying. Also, there is sometimes a 10 second pause in between the songs. I do hope they work on fixing this stuff up, especially since we've paid for the service.

SnaPli

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
Last night, I updated some artwork in iTunes. Both of my iPhones are set up identical regarding iTunes Match etc.

The funny thing is: one phone shows the new artwork, the other one doesn't! I switched off and on all iTunes-related settings so that the Music app is pretty much forced to reload the artwork---and I still get the older versions.

This is ... weird ...!

qtaran111

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
Same problem here

Hi folks,

I assume Apple hasn't fixed this yet, as I'm seeing the same issue of artwork randomly missing from some songs/albums on my iPhone with iTunes Match on.

Any fixes for this (apart from turning iTunes Match off :rolleyes:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.