Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grayskyz

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
Los Angeles
Yeah I've had problems - that's why I said "generally". I've had plenty of problems in iTunes as well - duplicate movies, buffering issues, etc. There is no service that just works all the time. For me maybe I've been lucky that the Vudu Tivo client has worked well for me. In the end if I was really uptight and concerned I wouldn't be buying digital.

And for my comment on buying retail - I'm talking about the codes that aren't available for iTunes. If you want an iTunes version best you'll get is 20-25% off if you get Paypal codes unless they have a sale. There are more and more movies that are hard to find iTunes codes for. Plus you can't beat d2d for stocking up on older titles.

-Kevin

I don't get the duplicate movie thing, how does that happen?

I went the tivo route for 5-6 years until the bad outweighed the good( for me personally.) Boxes got too slow and expensive and monthly payments kept creeping up ($150 bucks a year :0 ), cable companies didn't want to support it and cable service was spendy on top of that.

The blu-ray forums have a lot of inexpensive titles. I don't get anything from paypal. I can't recall not being able to get something on iTunes in a long time but, I'm sure there's holes in their catalog. Most movies that are studio releases I assumed were all on iTunes. I don't collect any physical media anymore so buying a disc isn't an option for me anymore.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I don't get the duplicate movie thing, how does that happen?

I went the tivo route for 5-6 years until the bad outweighed the good( for me personally.) Boxes got too slow and expensive and monthly payments kept creeping up ($150 bucks a year :0 ), cable companies didn't want to support it and cable service was spendy on top of that.

The blu-ray forums have a lot of inexpensive titles. I don't get anything from paypal. I can't recall not being able to get something on iTunes in a long time but, I'm sure there's holes in their catalog. Most movies that are studio releases I assumed were all on iTunes. I don't collect any physical media anymore so buying a disc isn't an option for me anymore.

I have experienced it quite a bit since I started redeeming movies. I'll download my movies on my Mac Pro in iTunes, 2 days later most of them will be listed twice in iTunes - the download and the cloud version. Usually signing out and in to iTunes store fixes it for a while. Haven't yet had it show up twice on the ATV - probably an iTunes bug.

I skipped the Premiere Tivos which were slow and went straight to the Roamio (lifetime purchase). It's pretty snappy for me and we still record a lot of TV, so we wouldn't live without it. No issues where I live with full 6 stream cablecards. Streaming works good in house (ok out of the home). Apps are decent - not super fast to load but once in are ok. Vudu/Netflix/Amazon all do 1080p/24 as well if you have a TV that supports it.

EDIT: And if it weren't for d2d on Vudu, I wouldn't have nearly the amount of digital titles I have now. I've been able to get 168 movies for around $200 bucks.

-Kevin

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
Hi all,

I apologize for the "newbie" question". I'm making my very first purchase from Digital Movie Solutions.

The site says the codes are emailed, but during checkout it's asking for a physical address. Is this just standard verification? (Codes aren't physically mailed are they?)

Thanks for your help!

IndianBird

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Hi all,

I apologize for the "newbie" question". I'm making my very first purchase from Digital Movie Solutions.

The site says the codes are emailed, but during checkout it's asking for a physical address. Is this just standard verification? (Codes aren't physically mailed are they?)

Thanks for your help!
They will be emailed only.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Hi all,

Thanks for your help!

If paying by Paypal you can usually enter anything. I think some site like Shopify (the ecommerce software they are using) require an address just to make the checkout work.

-Kevin

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
I have experienced it quite a bit since I started redeeming movies. I'll download my movies on my Mac Pro in iTunes, 2 days later most of them will be listed twice in iTunes - the download and the cloud version. Usually signing out and in to iTunes store fixes it for a while. Haven't yet had it show up twice on the ATV - probably an iTunes bug.

I skipped the Premiere Tivos which were slow and went straight to the Roamio (lifetime purchase). It's pretty snappy for me and we still record a lot of TV, so we wouldn't live without it. No issues where I live with full 6 stream cablecards. Streaming works good in house (ok out of the home). Apps are decent - not super fast to load but once in are ok. Vudu/Netflix/Amazon all do 1080p/24 as well if you have a TV that supports it.

EDIT: And if it weren't for d2d on Vudu, I wouldn't have nearly the amount of digital titles I have now. I've been able to get 168 movies for around $200 bucks.

-Kevin

I have noticed the 2 movie thing in iTunes also. It used to happen on my iPhone/iPad but iOS 9 solved that. Since El Capitan, I only notice it with Disney/MCU movies.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I have noticed the 2 movie thing in iTunes also. It used to happen on my iPhone/iPad but iOS 9 solved that. Since El Capitan, I only notice it with Disney/MCU movies.

I'm pretty sure it's only been Disney/MCU movies for me as well. Interesting. Thanks for the post.

-Kevin

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
I bought all the iron mans for less that 1 dvd cost on the blu-ray site. But then again, if you want the disc, you should check out the bluray forum where they will ship it you.

As far as I know, the only MCU film without a digital copy is Iron Man, so I'd have to buy direct from iTunes.

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
"generally things also just work on the other side...."
except where the part where the OP told you it didn't. You haven't had any issues, I have, so has the OP... That doesn't either one of us wrong. I just can't be bothered to trouble shoot simple things like watching a movie when I want.

"Awesome option if you want to spend retail for it."
It's like you didn't read any of this thread....it was to show people you don't have to pay retail. My last 8 movies were purchased under 20 bucks for the lot. I'd hardly call that retail.

iTunes isn't without issue. We went all last holiday season with no access to our entire iTunes library because of "an account authorization glitch". It was a fantastic experience, and an eye opener. I had just told my wife how great this was going to be to not have to run downstairs to get the bluray to watch a movie, we can just stream it to the bedroom. You can imagine how that went down.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
iTunes isn't without issue. We went all last holiday season with no access to our entire iTunes library because of "an account authorization glitch". It was a fantastic experience, and an eye opener. I had just told my wife how great this was going to be to not have to run downstairs to get the bluray to watch a movie, we can just stream it to the bedroom. You can imagine how that went down.

Did you call Apple to get it resolved and get a free rental for your troubles?

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
FYI guys, Godfather Trilogy is only $10 on iTunes right now. Also Mad Max: Fury Road.

Last edited:

ECJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
Memphis, TN
FYI guys, Godfather Trilogy is only $10 on iTunes right now. Also Mad Max.

Looking for the Mad Max bundle, and can't find it. Or was it just one movie?

Never mind. It was just for the new movie, and not the bundle of the older movies.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Looking for the Mad Max bundle, and can't find it. Or was it just one movie?

Never mind. It was just for the new movie, and not the bundle of the older movies.

Mad Max (I believe) is distributed by different studios in the US and may not come as a bundle (easily) I think in Australia they are all distributed by the same company and they have a bundle.

**MGM was the first MM film and WB has the rest.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Just to confirm, are Canada codes the same as US? Meaning they work the same way, no VPN or silly workaround needed?

hinesmj

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
New York
How is everyone's restraint when it comes to $1 movies? I've seen Interstellar once in theaters, I'm a fairly big Christopher Nolan fan, and yet I don't think I would ever watch it again. But a big part of me wants it in my digital iTunes library like I have a baseball card collection, and mainly because you can get copies for just a dollar.

Do you guys go wild with cheap movies figuring it's only a buck or two? Because all those little purchases do add up in the end.

Yea you can go wild with those things. You have to really think about the re-watchability. I have young kids who will watch Disney movies a thousand times in a row, so I have no qualms about pulling the trigger on kids movies. For my wife and I, there aren't many movies we will re-watch. However, if its something you haven't seen, buying the code can be cheaper than even renting, so it makes sense to own on occasion.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Just to confirm, are Canada codes the same as US? Meaning they work the same way, no VPN or silly workaround needed?
No, they are not the same. Canadian codes work only in the Canadian iTunes store, and vice versa. You also cannot move content from one store to another. If you have content from multiple stores, you have to switch back and forth between the different logins on the Apple TV to play it. iTunes does not use geo-blocking though, i.e. you can stream or download iTunes content from any store anywhere in the world.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH

For UV - Canadian or UK codes will need to be redeemed via a proxy, but most should show up in your main UV library. Check with the seller to confirm.

Yea you can go wild with those things. You have to really think about the re-watchability. I have young kids who will watch Disney movies a thousand times in a row, so I have no qualms about pulling the trigger on kids movies. For my wife and I, there aren't many movies we will re-watch. However, if its something you haven't seen, buying the code can be cheaper than even renting, so it makes sense to own on occasion.

Yeah, we use the Redbox pricing ($1.50 DVD, $2.00 Bluray) as a baseline. Anything around that, if we plan to watch it ever again it's a no brainer to buy. Heck, if someone is used to the typical $3.99-$5.99 iTunes type rentals the buy deals are even better.

But I'm not the type to even spend $1.00 for something we would never watch again. Has to have some re-watchability - either for us or the kids.

-Kevin

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
I'll buy a movie if it is something I would normally rent. For example, it was cheaper to buy Jurassic World for $1.50 than renting it for $6.

For movies that I've already seen, I'll spend $1 to $1.50 if it is a bona fide hit like Interstellar or a guilty pleasure action movie like Fast Five.

But for the most part, I'll skip any old movie even if they sell for a buck like Wolf of Wall Street, World War Z, etc. I don't have a desire to buy a movie just because it is cheap.

Last edited:

Poontaco

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2014

I've heard that Canadian codes don't work for US accounts, But I've been redeeming US codes in my Canadian iTunes account left and right. I haven't found one yet that doesn't work.

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
I've heard that Canadian codes don't work for US accounts, But I've been redeeming US codes in my Canadian iTunes account left and right. I haven't found one yet that doesn't work.

I probably wouldn't chance it myself!

In regards to the whole $1 film buying - I'm a sucker for them! For me it's all about choice - if we have people over/staying, I'd rather there be a more varied choice for people to choose then just the films I like.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
As far as I know, the only MCU film without a digital copy is Iron Man, so I'd have to buy direct from iTunes.
I have $4 Amazon Video credit. I guess I should blow it on Iron Man since this is the only movie you MUST pay full price on.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I have $4 Amazon Video credit. I guess I should blow it on Iron Man since this is the only movie you MUST pay full price on.

If you haven't maxed out on Vudu credits you can usually get them about 50% off. That would make it around $10.

-Kevin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.