Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dimi94941

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
There is one thing I didn't understand quite really.

Steve said that if you rip your old cd's to iTunes it gets pushed thru iCloud to your iOS. Does anyone know where to put those songs, specific playlist or...?

Or was this whole thing about ripping cd's and put them on thru iCloud a function for iTunes Match?

gofightlose

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2011
Your rips or music from elsewhere will not be pushed to icloud. Music you didn't buy from itunes will be synched over wifi with your ios device. The iTunes match will scan your songs, see what you have, and allow you to download them over all of your devices.
There's really not much difference, except if you were to rip a cd, you would have to wait until your device syncs again, unlike if you bought it from itunes which it would then be pushed/downloaded on all your devices.

It's up to people to decide if higher quality (256kbps) and the ability to easily download it from itunes on your devices whenever you want is worth the 30/year.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
Theoretically speaking, you would only have to pay the $24.95 once, right? If I have 2500 songs that iTunes has scanned and matched for me, and I can download them on any device in DRM Free 256 KBPS AAC. Is Apple going to remove those DRM Free tracks from my devices if I don't pay for it again?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Since they're DRM-free, you could just make a backup and then restore them if they do get removed. However, I don't see Apple removing them.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
Since they're DRM-free, you could just make a backup and then restore them if they do get removed. However, I don't see Apple removing them.

Exactly. The question is if Apple will consider it purchased music the next year and allow you to have it on all devices for free.

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I'm wondering what Apple's going to do to prevent tons of people from attempting to abuse the system to get free music. Surely it won't just use the track names to determine whether or not you have the song in your library. Imagine how trivial it would be to rename the same file multiple times in an attempt to get DRM-free high-quality tracks from iTunes.

Also, I wonder if at any point iTunes on your Mac / PC actually acquires the AAC file and replaces the original file you had in your library. If it does, this means that for $25 per year, you can potentially get unlimited music downloaded to your computer that you have full ownership of and that will never expire. That seems well worth the cost. But again, that's assuming you can game the system.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
I'm wondering what Apple's going to do to prevent tons of people from attempting to abuse the system to get free music. Surely it won't just use the track names to determine whether or not you have the song in your library. Imagine how trivial it would be to rename the same file multiple times in an attempt to get DRM-free high-quality tracks from iTunes.

Also, I wonder if at any point iTunes on your Mac / PC actually acquires the AAC file and replaces the original file you had in your library. If it does, this means that for $25 per year, you can potentially get unlimited music downloaded to your computer that you have full ownership of and that will never expire. That seems well worth the cost. But again, that's assuming you can game the system.

I think what's possible is Apple wants you to make all your current music "iTunes-ified" and then after that buy all your music from iTunes, so you don't have to pay for it again.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Your rips or music from elsewhere will not be pushed to icloud. Music you didn't buy from itunes will be synched over wifi with your ios device.
Incorrect. The music that can't be matched to iTunes store music (both ripped and bought tracks) WILL be uploaded to iCloud. That was made clear in the keynote.

Also: Why is this in the Lion forum?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.