Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShadowHunter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2003
Fresno
Ok, I have iTunes for Windows running. I love it! I am ripping all my CDs, but my question is will I have to do it again when I buy my PowerBook? How do I "transfer" a library?

Also along those lines, say I buy something from the iTMS, how will I transfer those songs? I don't want to re-buy them.

I guess that leads me to a third question: how does the "3-playlist-limit" work? How Nazi is it?

Chmeeee

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2003
Boston, MA
You should have no problem just transferring the files over to another computer. Then you can just authorize that computer to play your purchased music, since up to three computers can be authorized by you (is that what you mean by 3 playlists?). If you are getting rid of the old computer you can also de-authorize that, so you are not wasting one of your 3 authorizations on something you dont own anymore.

ShadowHunter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2003
Fresno
Originally posted by Chmeeee
You should have no problem just transferring the files over to another computer. Then you can just authorize that computer to play your purchased music, since up to three computers can be authorized by you (is that what you mean by 3 playlists?). If you are getting rid of the old computer you can also de-authorize that, so you are not wasting one of your 3 authorizations on something you dont own anymore.

Just a simple "copy"? Cool.

About the authorizing....is it 3 authorizations forever, or just 3 authorizations at a time?

As for the playlist thing, I heard you can only burn the same playlist with purchased music like 10 times or something. How is that kept track? If I copy files over to another Mac, will it reset the count or what?

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
Originally posted by ShadowHunter
Just a simple "copy"? Cool.

About the authorizing....is it 3 authorizations forever, or just 3 authorizations at a time?

As for the playlist thing, I heard you can only burn the same playlist with purchased music like 10 times or something. How is that kept track? If I copy files over to another Mac, will it reset the count or what?

It's three authorizations at a time, so you can authorize new computers as you deauthorize old ones.

Why would you need more than 10 burns of a single playlist?

Alia

ShadowHunter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2003
Fresno
Originally posted by alia
It's three authorizations at a time, so you can authorize new computers as you deauthorize old ones.

Why would you need more than 10 burns of a single playlist?

Alia

I guess I wouldn't. In any case that I would use more then 10, chances are I shouldn't be. I just don't really like limitations on things I buy....

sonofslim

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2003
isn't it 10 burns to CD per purchased song?

ie, it's nothing really to do with a playlist. you could burn 10 copies of one playlist that happens to contain iTunes-purchased music. or 5 copies each of 2 playlists that both hold the same purchased song(s), or whatever.

calibrate me if i'm wrong there.

keep in mind that the DRM only applies to the original AAC file you purchased from iTunes. once you burn it to an audio cd, you can rip that CD or track to an MP3 and burn, copy, share, etc. the living daylights out of it from there. (aka "breaking copyright law.")

although some people find a loss in quality when converting AAC --> audio --> MP3.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by sonofslim
isn't it 10 burns to CD per purchased song?

ie, it's nothing really to do with a playlist. you could burn 10 copies of one playlist that happens to contain iTunes-purchased music. or 5 copies each of 2 playlists that both hold the same purchased song(s), or whatever.

calibrate me if i'm wrong there.

It's 10 burns per playlist. If you want to burn an 11th copy of the playlist, you'll have to rearrange it, or recreate it.

You can burn a iTunes-purchased song as much as you want.

arn

ShadowHunter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2003
Fresno
Originally posted by arn
It's 10 burns per playlist. If you want to burn an 11th copy of the playlist, you'll have to rearrange it, or recreate it.

You can burn a iTunes-purchased song as much as you want.

arn

So I could use a playlist w/ purchased music 10 times, hit the limit, delete the playlist, remake it, and burn it another 10?

manitoubalck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Ok I have iTunes for window (downloaded it this morning,) I've use iTunes on a mac and the program seems more or less the same.

However I still prefer winamp by Nulsoft because it also plays various video formats without having to open quicktime and has and array of plug-ins. Also there are no limits to how many times you want to burn something or whatever.

As far as ripping PCM audio to MP3 or the other way, winamp can do that to, and there are heaps of other free rippers available on line @ http://www.download.com.

What I'm waiting for is the Mac OS to become available on a x86 processor (probably will never happen:))

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.