Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk3pt1c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
a simulacrum
why is it that sometimes when i want to delete a song from my library iTunes asks if i'm sure about the deletion and other times it goes ahead and deletes it without asking?
and also, why is it that sometimes it moves the files in the trash and other times they just disappear forever?
all my music is in the itunes folder in a folder on my external hard drive
thanks for your time

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
iTunes has two ways of dealing with songs you import.

1. It makes a copy of the file in your iTunes Library folder. (i.e. If you have a file on your desktop, and drag it into the iTunes window, you will have the original file on your desktop, plus a copy in your Music/iTunes folder.) These files it will ask if you want to delete the original.

2. It leaves the original file where it is, and just 'points' to it in the iTunes Library structure. (i.e. if you drag a file from your desktop into the iTunes window, you will ONLY have the file on your desktop.) These files it won't even ask if you want to delete the original.

It could be that at some point in the past, you had option 2 selected, then changed your iTunes preferences to option 1. So some files, it really is looking for them somewhere other than your iTunes Library folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.