Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2003
California
So I've been using the Sound Check feature in iTunes for forever. It was recently that I started noticing that many of the new songs I've added (well over a thousand) are all quieter than the songs that I originally started added to my list (way back when iTunes first came out). And each time I add more songs it the volume overall slowly drops lower and lower.

Now I know I could just adjust the levels manually, but this is with at least a thousand songs, and even then other songs are at random levels too. Is there any app that can fix this or some other suggestion?

Salasm

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2006
surrounded by mods
Part of the drop in volume is because songs nowadays are extremely compressed to make them sound louder. iTunes will drop the volume levels to almost -11dB to cope. But iTunes doesn't do a very good job.

Try iVolume 2. It is $15 shareware, but works very well. It won't work with music bought off iTMS because the AAC files are protected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.