Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
So I've been working on my iTunes library over the last couple days, adding music, album art, etc... So I decided to go see how much RAM I had available (just because I like to make sure I don't have run-away processes and such) when I noticed that I had very little Real RAM available... looking down my list, I noticed that the process taking the most RAM was none other than iTunes! Check this out:

itunesRAM2.gif

For reference, I included my WindowServ. My uptime is 3 days, 4 hours, 20 minutes.

Pretty shocking, huh?

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
iTunes is actually pretty good on mine. Just quit iTunes and restart (iTunes) to free up the used RAM. Start worrying if it hits that level again.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
munkle said:
iTunes is actually pretty good on mine. Just quit iTunes and restart (iTunes) to free up the used RAM. Start worrying if it hits that level again.

Yeah I know I can clear it, but I was just surprised that the total usage got up that high to begin with! I don't usually look at iTunes memory usage because its usually around 36MB Real RAM.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
I wonder how it got that high?!

I'm a bit of a RAM fiend. I normally always have Activity Monitor open, with one beady eye focussed on the RAM usage of different apps (it comes with only having 768MB). I engage in daily battles with Safari over how much RAM it's allowed to have :p But iTunes is normally pretty good (30-40MB).

Marble

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2003
Tucson, AZ
Maybe you dragged a bunch of files into it or something at one point when it grabbed a bunch of RAM and never gave it back...?

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Well I only added about 137 songs last night... not too many, IMO. I'm just going to keep it open for a few more days and see how high the usage will go :p

breathein

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2005
i'm on a dual 1gig w/ 768ram.

i just upgraded to 10.4.3, added a 250gb hd, USB 2.0

ever since then my computer seems to not be able to run as efficiently as before..

sometime when i'm in itunes the music will skip as if there is not enough ram for it to play the song smoothly.. restart fixes it, but is this the same issue youre running into?

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
breathein said:
i'm on a dual 1gig w/ 768ram.

i just upgraded to 10.4.3, added a 250gb hd, USB 2.0

ever since then my computer seems to not be able to run as efficiently as before..

sometime when i'm in itunes the music will skip as if there is not enough ram for it to play the song smoothly.. restart fixes it, but is this the same issue youre running into?

No, that just sounds like the computer can't keep up with the mp3 decoding... which is weird, considering you're on a dual 1ghz and I never get skips on my single 1ghz...

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
I learned not to worry too much about RAM consumption. In fact, I am glad my applications are using the 1 GB RAM stick that I paid $178 for back in January. It'd be wasting money if my computer didn't utilize it. I only have about 14 MB of memory free at this moment. As long as the OS responds properly, it's fine for me.

iPhoto, Safari, and Microsoft Office are taking up 100 MB each right now, and I'm not even using them. (well, Safari to post, but ... yea)

Now, it'd be a different issue completely if the OS didn't give up the RAM when more demanding applications asked for it, which for me is not the case.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 54
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.