Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Malamutt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
The new phone book is here... The new phone book is here... Oh wait... The new iTunes is here... The new iTunes is here...

So now that I'm downloading it I guess I will have to buy a song and try out the new "Ringtone Feature".

Available via http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

:apple: Malamutt

UPDATED:
iTunes 7.4 for Mac

This update adds support for the new iPod nano (third generation), iPod classic, and iPod touch, plus create customer ringtones exclusively for iPhone. Weighing in at 48.1MB

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
You still have to wait until next week to waste your money on the ringtone feature.

I think I will pass up this update.

Apple, thanks, but no thanks.

Canuck4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Cool.
Weird when I check for updates thru Itunes it tells me that 7.3.2 is the latest version but the newest one is available thru direct download from their site.

Malamutt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Two things I've noticed.

Ringtones tab has arrived.
iTunes Library update.

:apple:Malamutt

Malamutt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Ringtones Column also exist now when you search the itunes store.... You have to make it appear by clicking the column list and selecting ringtones as a column

Durendal

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2003
Dang, no firmware update for the 2.5Mbps H.264 that the new iPods have. I guess it's due to upgraded hardware. :(

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
This is pointless. Can't you just make your own for free? I do that for my Razr with little effort.

circusbass

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2004
Itunes 7.4

Anyone know if there are other changes or improvements to Itunes that we don't know about yet? Like maybe being able to list the albums on our ipods chronologically?

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
if you add one now with itoner would be curios to know what happens after the sync.

Just tried it and it still takes it away. I even tried unchecking sync ringtones under the ringtones tab and it still deleted it. I guess as long as you store all your tones in a certain folder for iToner you can just sync them after syncing with iTunes. It will be a pain having to do this every time I connect to my mac though.

wannger27

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2007
All I did was sync my phone with iTunes. I went in to my sounds and now they are gone.

It seems since iTunes now syncs your ringtones, any ringtone not in your iTunes library would be deleted, much like how music syncing works.

Malamutt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Just tried it and it still takes it away. I even tried unchecking sync ringtones under the ringtones tab and it still deleted it. I guess as long as you store all your tones in a certain folder for iToner you can just sync them after syncing with iTunes. It will be a pain having to do this every time I connect to my mac though.

Must be how iToner is storing them. My ringtones are still on my phone but I used the SCP command to put them on my phone.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
$2 for a ringtone sucks, but it's still LESS than many companies have charged--and those companies don't give you the WHOLE song to keep and play as well for your $2.

I would guess that Apple COULD NOT legally let people use iTunes songs for free, because the content owners (RIAA) are used to getting paid extra for that use. I suspect that was in their iTMS contracts from the start.

I will have a strong objection to Apple not allowing any old NON-iTMS audio file to be used as a ringtone. I want custom rings and sounds, but I don't want iTunes songs. I can make something in GarageBand--so I sure hope Apple lets me!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The new phone book is here... The new phone book is here...
You're somebody! (Not sure if anyone else here gets the movie reference.)

iTunes 7.4's help system seems to have no information about ringtones. I wonder how many ringtones Apple will sell to people who just want to try the feature, without owning an iPhone!

grandtheftfob

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
weird.. my iPhone is plugged in... but I don't have an option for ringtones under library.. but I have the Ringtones tab in the iPhone options...

is it supposed to be like that for now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.