Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Punkwaffle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Hi,

I just got a 500GB drive that I want to connect to the airport extreme to use as my media hub. I have 2 macs in the house that will be using this for the iTunes library. My questions are:

1.) Can I have i iTunes Music folder on that hard drive and have both computers look to it for media independently, and if so- how?

2.) I have several compressed DVDs in avi format that I want to put in the library so I can stream them to my macbook plugged into the tv in the living room, how can I make these compatible with iTunes?

Much thanks for your help!

upsett3r

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2007
I don't think you will have any luck with the avi's until you convert them to mpeg4 (in itunes). Try VLC. It's a great program. I use that to stream video to my 32in LCD in the living room. Then you don't have to mess with converting anything.

The itunes music library thing won't be a problem. Just go to File--> add to library...-->then choose the itunes folder on your 500gb drive.

Here is a link for VLC:
http://www.videolan.org/

good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.