iTunes: Won't find files after renaming them

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by Ancandis, Feb 12, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Ancandis

This should be a simple one:

In iTunes I manage my music manually.
    Sometimes I need to change a song's file name because something was spelled incorrectly.

To change a song's file name I rename it in Finder. iTunes is running the background. Now here's the catch:
    After renaming a file I check whether iTunes detected its new location (CMD+I for "Get Info"). Mostly iTunes DOES recognize the new file path, but sometimes it doesn't.

What helps iTunes detecting the new location?
    I really can't see a pattern in iTunes' behavior.

Thanks in advance.

2. macrumors 68030

Dave Braine

Why rename it in Finder? Messing about inside the Music folders can lead to problems as you've found out. If you want to rename a track either do it from the Info panel, or click twice(not double click) on a track, and then it will become editible.

3. thread starter macrumors member

Ancandis

The ID3 tags are already correct.

I have to rename the files as I need to access my music from other programs as well. (and want to have it all consistently)

4. macrumors 68000

Does the odd behaviour occur only when you rename in a specific way, or change the name of the folder as well as the files - it is very likely that there is a very specific pattern that causes iTunes not to automatically find it :)

5. thread starter macrumors member

Ancandis

The only change I did was to add "1." at the beginning.
    (So it looks like this: "1.01 Song Title.mp3")

On one album it even did work for the four tracks while it did _not_ for the remaining ones. :confused:

6. macrumors 68000

Sounds like an iTunes bug to me, especially if its exhibiting it in a temper-mental fashion.

7. thread starter macrumors member

Ancandis

Can some members here please report back if their iTunes shows the same issues? *
    Adding one or two characters at the beginning of the file names should be managable.

* Given that you manage your library manually

8. macrumors regular

I have this problem too.

I also manage my music manually. When I organize my music by renaming or moving them to another folder iTunes doesn't find it. I used to move my mp3 files from folder to folder without problems when I had iTunes 9 and I noticed the problem in iTunes 9.0.3.

9. Guest

Sky Blue

10. thread starter macrumors member

Ancandis

Great to hear other users care about this issue, too.

Did your iTunes 9.0.3 lose _all_ files in a folder you moved or only some files? Have you closed iTunes before moving folders or was it still running?

11. macrumors regular

Only the files I moved. It has also removed some songs from the library and from the hard drive. I know I didn't delete the songs and I doubt someone else erased it.

I move the files when iTunes is not running. If I move an mp3 while playing the song on iTunes there's no problem.

12. macrumors member

I've noticed this odd behavior too.

I usually put everything in the "Download" folder and then organize from there later when I have time. When I first got my Mac, I was amazed at how even if I renamed or moved the file, iTunes will figure it out and just run like nothing has happened. Even while the file is being used!! This was a big plus that I saw Mac had over a PC.

Recently, I've had more ! marks on my iTunes playlist. I'm not sure what happened. But as memo90061 mentioned, it was odd when it happened and when it didn't. I do think this was a bug with a previous version. I'm on v9.2.1 and it looks like it's working like it used to now but I still have to fix the one's that have been broken from the previous version.