Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
it all started with this:
picture1.jpg

Out of the blue, iTunes won't open. I tried rebooting, repairing permissions, etc. Nothing worked... and I have 2gb of RAM. There's no way that it won't open because there's not enough memory available.

So I deleted the app and decided to reinstall it. Now I get this:
picture2.jpg

When I install iTunes again, everything is greyed out in the installer window. This happens both from the iLife 05 CD (4.7.1) and from the downloaded copy from Apple (4.9).

Please Help!!

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
How much memory do you have on your HD (says 3.2GB in your pic, is that correct?)? Could this be too little to allow for OSX's requirements for virtual memory etc so it doesn't let you install it?

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
The little hard drive space is likely to be the problem. There are some other threads here suggestion that OS X and especially Tiger needs more than 5GB free hard drive space to work efficiently, preferrably more than 7GB, if I remember correctly.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
Hmm, didn't really think it would be a hard drive space problem. That's my stock 160gb boot drive that's full. I'll try moving my iTunes library over to the 400gb drive and try installing iTunes again after that.

Thanks!

scoodoo

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2006
I have been experiencing the exact same problem with installing iTunes-- couldn't reinstall so I deleted it and tried to install from scratch but itunes is greyed out in the installer. I think I have plenty of free space on my hard drive (30 GB free), so I don't know what the issue is at all. I've also tried older versions of iTunes with the same result.

Anyplace else we can look?

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
gekko513 said:
The little hard drive space is likely to be the problem. There are some other threads here suggestion that OS X and especially Tiger needs more than 5GB free hard drive space to work efficiently, preferrably more than 7GB, if I remember correctly.

Nah. I have at most 1.5GB of free space on my system and just did the iTunes install plus all that just came out (10.4.8, iLife updates, Aperture updates, etc...)

scoodoo

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2006
A (Partial) Solution

I don't know about the memory issue specifically, but i just found the answer to the greyed-out installer problem.

When you uninstall/delete iTunes from a Mac, there are various directory files you have to delete individually; in your Library there is a folder that keeps track of Receipts for what you've installed. (The instructions that I got for uninstalling iTunes definitely left that key part out.) Go into Library/Receipts and delete any file starting with iTunes and then try to install again.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.