Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
Feeling nostalgic I fired up my 2008 iMac with snow leopard and it was fun for a few mins and then I realised nothing works.

Mainly iTunes won’t let me log in and keeps giving me an error message. Any ideas on how to get round it? I’m on iTunes 11.4

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
What is the error message that you get?
It says

We could not complete your iTunes Store request an unknown error occurred (-50)

Please try again later.

When I press okay it then says same thing again but with error code (-9836)

I’ve also noticed lots of websites deny access to safari due to being “unsecure” is that just apple switching off support for legacy software?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
No, just older browsers not working well anymore.
An older browser likely won't open many sites, because the browser's SSL certificates have expired.
You can try going into each site's SSL certificate, and tell it to accept that certificate in the keychain.
Go to this site - then scroll down to fix #6
Should help for most sites, maybe someone else will offer a better help for that.

Reactions: JamesMay82

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
Probably related to
"RIP ITUNES 10.6.3 STORE - BASTARDS !!!!!"
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/rip-itunes-10-6-3-store-bastards.2327163/
ahhh yes! I remember that article now... never mind, it was my first Mac and I was just going for a walk down memory lane. I think it can do one of the sierras but I'll keep it on snow leopard for posterity! annoyingly I've lost my ilife install disc but I might try to find one on eBay.

I can't do much online as not many websites work, ichat doesn't work and my iCloud email doesn't work because it keeps adding it as mobile me..

All the upgrades we have had over the years feel incremental but when you do use an old machine they do feel like big leaps in hindsight

Reactions: jjp007

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
ahhh yes! I remember that article now... never mind, it was my first Mac and I was just going for a walk down memory lane. I think it can do one of the sierras but I'll keep it on snow leopard for posterity! annoyingly I've lost my ilife install disc but I might try to find one on eBay.

I can't do much online as not many websites work, ichat doesn't work and my iCloud email doesn't work because it keeps adding it as mobile me..

All the upgrades we have had over the years feel incremental but when you do use an old machine they do feel like big leaps in hindsight
I think  should let us use our older MacBooks and snow leopard at our discretion.
my MacBook Air 2010 is idle and maybe snow leopard might revive the great laptop,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.