Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madoka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
I figured it was time to reformat my PC and switch to a Raptor, so I saved all my documents. Inside that folder was all my itunes that I bought from the music store. After swapping in the new HD, I copied the My Documents folder to it. I downloaded itunes, which found all the songs I've purchased. Then it asked me to authorize this "new computer" which I did. Still none of the songs will play. Nor will any of the previews play at the music store. It just stays at 0:00. I've tried reinstalling without any success and I'm using the latest version of itunes and QT.

Any help?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Did you de-authorise your songs first? Would you have used up all of your authorised computers (five or whatever it is)?

Also, do normal system sounds play properly? More importantly, do QuickTime movies have sound?

madoka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Thanks for the reply. I found out that the sound drivers weren't installed for my SB ZS2 so it refused to play.

Now I'm still a bit miffed that Apple considers switching HDs on a computer to count as a 2nd computer authorization. :(

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I wouldn't worry about it. If you use up all five accounts, then you get the option (only once a year) to reset your authorisation.

Apple said:
Make sure you deauthorize your computer before you upgrade your RAM, hard disk or other system components. If you do not deauthorize your computer before you upgrade these components, one computer may use multiple authorizations. If you find you have reached 5 authorizations due to system upgrades, you can reset your authorization count by clicking Deauthorize All in the Account Information screen. Note: You may only use this feature once per year. The Deauthorize All button will not appear if you have less than 5 authorized computers or if you have used this option within the last 12 months.

To deauthorize all computers associated with your account:

Click Music Store in the Source list.
If you're not signed in to the store, click the Account button, then enter your account name and password.
Click the Account button again (your ID appears on the button), enter your password, and then click View Account.
In the Account Information window, click Deauthorize All.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.